Thread: Sean Brackens Jig Anyone have Tabs ?

Default Sean Brackens Jig Anyone have Tabs ?

Nice little tune
    https://youtu.be/mDe9bz4DJWs
    Anyone have tabs for this ?

2. The following members say thank you to GreenMTBoy for this post:

Default Re: Sean Brackens Jig Anyone have Tabs ?

There’s standard notation over at thesession.org.

https://thesession.org/tunes/11033
    Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Coronado For This Useful Post:

Thanks Pete ,I saw that also but am notation illiterate for the most part ,wish I could find tab !

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMTBoy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ToyonPete View Post
    ...wish I could find tab !
    Below is a PDF which (if I did it right and didn't make too many errors) contains all 3 of the above versions of this tune (the video version and the 2 TheSession versions), in standard notation and mandolin tab. I took the liberty of pitch-shifting the video version to the key of A-something (instead of B-something as played in the video), in order to match the two versions at TheSession. (I don't know if that's a good idea, but I might want to learn this tune myself someday, and my extremely basic incorrigible oldtime fiddle background makes me far more likely to learn something in A than in B.) So anway, the first page of the pdf below is my try at transcribing the very nice playing of Gilles Poutoux and Catherine Renard shown in the video, except as noted above, in the key of A instead of B, and pages 2 & 3 have the two TheSession versions:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brackens-jig-3versions.pdf 
Views:	87 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	174125
    (preview shows black, but it's a normal pdf file)

For reference, here is an mp3 audio file of the pitch-shifted video's audio after I used Audacity to change the key:

brackens-jig-01-pitchshift-to-a.mp3

And a halfspeed version of the above pitch-shifted mp3:

brackens-jig-02-halfspeed-octave.mp3
    (yeah I use the oldschool octave-lower half-speed, it's what I'm used to lol.)

As to the two TheSessions versions: maybe it's just me, or maybe I wrote it down wrong somehow, but neither of TheSession versions (versions 2 and 3 in the pdf) sound quite right. I like the video version better, FWIW.

------------
    NOTES:

(a) The transcription of the video, only covers once through the "A" and "B" parts. I wasn't sufficiently motivated to try to transcribe the entire video to show whatever variations might exist in subsequent playings of those parts.

(b) Can't guarantee accuracy of triplet notation, it's possible they should have been written as 32's or 64's or whatever, I don't know. Figured it was close enough anyway.

(c) All this stuff was written while I'm ditzy with the flu (recovering now but still feeling pretty loopy), so hopefully it'll make sense.

I suppose while I'm at it, I should also post notation/tab for the actual key that the box players were playing in, which I think is the key of B. Might or might not be very mandolin-friendly though. Will try to get that done sometime in the next couple of days.

Thanks Pete ,I saw that also but am notation illiterate for the most part ,wish I could find tab !
    Music is given in two formats on the session - standard notation and abc.

If you take the "abc" version and copy and paste it into mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php
    Select mandolin it will give you a complete tab of the piece.

9. The following members say thank you to noah finn for this post:

I've converted the abc from The Session to tab - if you message me your email address I'll send you a copy

11. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

The Session versions are in A-minor (relative minor to C) and the melodeon versions are in B-minor (relative minor to D). The melodeon are probably tuned to that key. Either key should be easy to play on mandolin but I would opt for A-minor.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OneChordTrick View Post
    I've converted the abc from The Session to tab - if you message me your email address I'll send you a copy
    I already posted that two days ago in Post #4 above, the two Session versions are on page 2 & 3 of the PDF I posted. But whatever, the more the merrier. (Maybe I'm on someone's "ignore" list heh.)

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    I already posted that two days ago in Post #4 above, the two Session versions are on page 2 & 3 of the PDF I posted. But whatever, the more the merrier. (Maybe I'm on someone's "ignore" list heh.)
    Who said that?

Sorry, I misread your post and thought you’d transcribed the YouTube link rather than the Session. Should probably not try to do this sort of thing whilst on a conference call....

16. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by OneChordTrick View Post
    Sorry, I misread your post and thought you’d transcribed the YouTube link rather than the Session. Should probably not try to do this sort of thing whilst on a conference call....
    No problem. I probably should have made separate pdf's for each version, instead of combining them all into one multi-page document.

Anyway, puttering around with the written notation & tab, has sparked my interest in this tune, so it's on my "learn to play it eventually" list.