Thread: Eastman MD615

Default Eastman MD615

Brand new here. Been playing guitar for 30 years and am pretty decent.

Never played mandolin but wanting to take it up.

I've been looking at used instruments because truly don't mind a ding here and there and am happy to get a better quality instrument for my tight budget.

I'm looking at an Eastman md615 used and figure it could be had for mid 700's. Looks like a good deal.

Can someone clarify something for me? Are these electric? Some I've seen are and this one specifically says ''no pickups''. Is it a matter of manufacture year? Or are there different options?

Thanks.

Default Re: Eastman MD615

Eastman MD615 is an F-model (with scroll), and it normally comes with a pickup (figure ~$200 installed new). There may be a story as to why this one has no pickup. It sounds like it was removed, not everyone likes pickups.

Eastman's are good (mid-range) instruments, usually can't go wrong with one. I own a few...

Do you know which year it was made? Eastman's have been getting gradually better over the years, but they have always made good stuff.

If you are handy with setups, (and frets), an Eastman can be made into a great player IMHO.

If you don't care about pickups, most Eastman's play and sound about the same (regardless of model and price, the higher-end models are about the bling). You could get a new MD305 for less than $750 from themandolinstore, will come setup nicely too. But it won't have the scroll. MD315 (with scroll) will be about the same as the used 615.

The main things a 615 has over a 315:
    - cast tailpiece
    - bound fretboard
    - built-in pickup

So I would consider getting a new 315 for that price.

I love pickups myself, and have installed them myself a few times too.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Eastman began putting pickups in the MD615 in 2012. It sounds like that version is older than 2012.

There are no bad years for Eastman's, but as mentioned, they have generally improved over the years. Newer models are slightly different than they were in the past.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

No worries about the 615. They are good mandolins; a great setup will leave you with a mandolin that might just be a keeper. I’ve owned 3. One was #46 and it was good. The second one was great, the third was exceptional. I do regret letting it go. Was it as good as custom build? Nope, but it was good enough that anyone would have enjoyed having it in their collection. Rich balanced tone and exceptional volume. Pull the trigger and invest in a through setup. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

NFI*

And I'm sorry to the moderators if this is outside of the posting guidelines...

I just received an email from The Mandolin Store about a couple (the) Loar F blems they are selling for a steal (set up included). You may want to give Dennis a call.

The MD615 models have always performed well for me. I've been through a goodly number, and have been pleased with how they come up with the work I do.
    Stephen Perry

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rabbimatt View Post
    Brand new here. Been playing guitar for 30 years and am pretty decent.

Never played mandolin but wanting to take it up.

I've been looking at used instruments because truly don't mind a ding here and there and am happy to get a better quality instrument for my tight budget.

I'm looking at an Eastman md615 used and figure it could be had for mid 700's. Looks like a good deal.

Can someone clarify something for me? Are these electric? Some I've seen are and this one specifically says ''no pickups''. Is it a matter of manufacture year? Or are there different options?

Thanks.
    I have owned 3 Eastmans and found them to be acceptable (not exceptional) mandolins with good value. I would recommend looking to used in the Cafe classifieds. Request a 48 hour trial period prior to pulling the trigger. I , personally, would rather have the clean design of an A style with less excess than a F style that adds nothing to the tone and more prone to "bang" damage, but most of all significantly increases the cost over an equal quality A style. I say this with no intention of opening up another well worn A vs. F discussion.
    Regarding a pick-up, I currently have two instruments with K & K twins installed. I only use these in times of need for expediency or convenience. Otherwise, I much prefer to use a free standing mic.
    And, as always, just my humble opinion.
    Last edited by Pittsburgh Bill; Jan-16-2019 at 10:59am.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Quote Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post

The main things a 615 has over a 315:
    - cast tailpiece
    - bound fretboard
    - built-in pickup

The MD315 comes with the cast tailpiece now (even though most dealers (and Eastman, too!) still have pics of the MD315 with the old stamped tailpiece).
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

#46 I purchased new from Steve Perry’s at Gianna Violins a century ago. Howdy Steve. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

I once bought a blem Eastman MD 505 from TMS and never regretted it. Never found the blem either.

I've played a few 315s that I really liked better than the 515s next to them, so it's the individual instrument. A good 315 is worth a hardware upgrade if you are going to live with one for a long time.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    A good 315 is worth a hardware upgrade if you are going to live with one for a long time.
    I'm really liking my MD315, except for the tuners. Some are smooth, but a couple are pretty hard to turn. I put a little Tri-Flow on the gears and turned the tuners some, loosening and tightening the string a few times, but was limited with the strings still on. That seemed to help some. When I change strings I'll work the gears more thoroughly. If that doesn't help, Grover 309's will probably be procured and installed. I know this is a common upgrade for the 300 series. $70 isn't much money, but it is significant for a $700 mandolin. (I put Waverlies on a Martin HD28 some years ago and after playing my mandolins, I find it shocking just how smooth those guitar tuners are! I just can't imagine ever putting $500 tuners on a low-end mandolin, though. And I'm sort of shocked just how expensive Waverlies are for mandolins!)

By the way, the strings regularly catch in the nut when loosening the string and then tuning up to pitch. I've never had this problem, even with lower end Kentucky's that didn't have professional setups. Between the stiff tuners and the nut issue, I'm wondering a bit if the store where I bought this did a full setup as advertised.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Agree with all of the above statements. I've had an Eastman 305 for many years now, I recently upgraded and just sent my Eastman off to its new home today. But our time together was great, and it garnered a lot of attention for its great tone... a few friends at my local jam ended up purchasing Eastmans too!

Re The Loar(s) they have for sale at TMS. I'm personally not a fan of The Loar and have always felt that Eastman quality and Tone was bettee
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous