Thread: Rigel tailpiece problem - help!

Registered User Matt Hutchinson's Avatar

Default Rigel tailpiece problem - help!

Hi.

I have a Rigel A Natural. Recently two of the teeth on the tailpiece snapped off, which seems to be a common problem. I was lucky enough to be able to get a replacement, thanks to Trevor at TAMCO, who was incredibly helpful and generous.

The issue is that the new tailpiece is made for the typical Rigel mando that has an endpin jack socket. The A Natural doesn’t. Means the hole is too big. I’ve managed to temporarily fix this with a washer but needs a longer term fix. Any thoughts on what I could do myself before I take it to a luthier?

Thanks in advance
    Matt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1528.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	239.6 KB 
ID:	173961
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; Jan-13-2019 at 12:03pm. Reason: add an image

Default Re: Rigel tailpiece problem - help!

Can you find a larger button? I assume, from your photo, that the new tailpiece is intended to fit over/around an endpin socket so fitting one of those might be ths simplest option. It might be worth also considering a new/alternative/better tailpiece - it doesn’t look like there are many holes to cover up which is the usual problem.

Cheers Ray.

Yes, most Rigels have an endpin socket so that’s how it’s supposed to fit. I’d rather not fit one just for the sake of it but it’s an option if I can’t find anything else to fit.

Thanks
    Matt

Hi Matt - Does the new tailpiece function ok ?. If it does,then realistically,that's all you need. I had a similar problem when i got a new Lebeda tailpiece for my Lebeda mandolin. The screw holes were spot on,but the endpin hole was out of position by about 0.1". I had to use my Dremel drill & a small milling cutter to extend the hole to fit the endpin. It left the extended hole showing just a bit,but as long as the t/piece functions far better than the old one - who cares,it's purely cosmetic.

If it really is bothering you,then find a piece of suitable metal & make a shaped washer to go underneath the endpin & cover the hole. https://hobby.uk.com/materials/metal/sheet-metal.html,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Hi Matt, Thinking about it again, the problem with the Rigel is that the sides are curved and they don’t meet the top at 90degrees so a standard tailpiece won’t fit.

It might be worth putting up with it to see if you can get a more accurate replacement (are Rigel still in business?). Even then, the replacement might not be an exact fit. I had a similar problem with my Clark GBOM. A luthier friend of mine managed to destroy the tailpiece (and part of his hand) whilst trying to enlarge the enpin hole to fit a pickup. Austin kindly made me a new one but fitting it still needed a slight modification to the binding to make the screw holes line up.

Thanks both. The issue is that the tailpiece doesn't quite sit straight as it's resting on a curved edge. Means it slants ever so slightly down on the E string side, which is affecting the sound. I'll see if I can get a short piece of metal tubing the diameter of an endpin jack that I can cut down and put between the body and the endpin so it's held firm!

The US company Stewart-McDonald sells a replacement strap-pin button, called a 'No-Jack', for filling the 1/2"(approx. 12mm) hole from a cable jack. I use them frequently, when removing acoustic pickups from guitars. Perhaps that fitting would work on your Rigel.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    Cheers Ray.

Yes, most Rigels have an endpin socket so that’s how it’s supposed to fit. I’d rather not fit one just for the sake of it but it’s an option if I can’t find anything else to fit.

Thanks
    Matt
    Gold Tone Music Group in Titusville FL is licensed to make and sell Rigel knock-offs. contact@goldtone.com or 1-800-826-5482
    I know they sell replacement parts for Rigel, or at least they still did last year.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Thanks Dave. It isn't drilled out for an endpin jack, just the regular screw for a strap button.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    Gold Tone Music Group in Titusville FL is licensed to make and sell Rigel knock-offs. contact@goldtone.com or 1-800-826-5482
    I know they sell replacement parts for Rigel, or at least they still did last year.
    Great, thanks

Peter Langdell is still around. Maybe he has are replacement or a solution. Rigel Instruments
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Looks like if the end pin rim or washer you have there fit the hole the tailpiece could be moved back and centered by the endpin rim or the washer underneath it.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I am with pops, washers seem like the way to go here.

Two washers. One that just fits in the tailpiece hole and is slightly thinner than the tailpiece. This will center the tailpiece to where is should be. The second washer is larger than the hole in the tailpiece so the screw will snug down and keep it in place.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Sounds like the place to start. Thanks both!

If you are self reliant enough to change out the old tailpiece for a new one, then you likely possess the ability to get a $6 jeweler's saw with $1 blade and a small drill bit. Drill a pilot hole, wiggle the saw up and down, and in a few minutes, you just cut a new string retainer right near the old one on the orginal tailpece, and now you've got a good story at the next jam and close to $100 still in your pocket while all the other former Rigel owners shake their heads and remember a similar story...like a bunch of old vw owners....

I've got the same problem - bought a Rigel R100 on ebay in "good condition" with the fingers broken off.

I've got some questions: Can you remove the endpin/Jack plug? It doesn't move in my case, and I don't want to damage anything. Do I have to turn and wiggle, or simply tear it out? Iis there a trick? Or how is one to remove the tailpiece?

Thank you!

Edit: This thread has answered my question about the endpin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumi View Post
    Edit: This thread has answered my question about the endpin.
    Good to see my thread (and photos) are still of use 15 years later.

19. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:

Rumi 

Quote Originally Posted by Rumi View Post
    I've got the same problem - bought a Rigel R100 on ebay in "good condition" with the fingers broken off.

I've got some questions: Can you remove the endpin/Jack plug? It doesn't move in my case, and I don't want to damage anything. Do I have to turn and wiggle, or simply tear it out? Iis there a trick? Or how is one to remove the tailpiece?

Thank you!
    I managed to get a spare tailpiece from TAMCO over here in the the UK. I think Trevor bought a few up while they were still in stock. That was a while ago now though....

Thank you, Matt! I've written Trevor.

Great, hope he’s got some left!

23. The following members say thank you to Matt Hutchinson for this post:

Rumi