Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Avoid Losing An Expensive Pick

Default Re: How To Avoid Losing An Expensive Pick

How many hundred dollar bills have you lost? Treat it the same way.

I have a friend that has one BC used for all his instruments. Keeps in in a BC key ring holder. I like a pick for each instrument, so my BC lives stuck in the strings of one mandolin. The others get Wegens.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Similar to foldedpath, I have a very set routine I go through regarding where my BC picks are stored and where they go between tunes if I'm not playing/going to get a pint etc. I've been using BC picks for 10 years and never lost one yet. I use BC picks for both the mandolin and acoustic guitar (and with guitar I switch between several different shapes) so I at this stage I've accumulated about 9 of them - see, that's MY problem: rather than losing them they're multiplying!!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Each of my prime mandolins has its own BC pick. If I switch in the rotation I sometimes will switch pics as well. So yes, it stays in the case. I also have a similarly shaped Dunlop Ultex in my pocket at all times in case I am at a music store to play something. I almost never find any mandolins in these stores so don't need to have the pick with me, besides I can extrapolate the sound I will get from the BCs anyway.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    It is in the strings or my hand, haven't lost one yet.
    Adopted after losing my first bc

Thank you so much for your suggestions! Y'all with the set routines are awesome.

I'll do my best!

I am waiting for Blue Chip to have a tracking computer chip embedded in their picks. Do you think they are reading this thread?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The best way not to lose an expensive pick is not to buy one.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave Hanson For This Useful Post:

Best way is just don't be a loser.

10. The following members say thank you to Frankdolin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I am waiting for Blue Chip to have a tracking computer chip embedded in their picks. Do you think they are reading this thread?
    Great idea, but, would it change the tone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Great idea, but, would it change the tone?
    Don't know about changing the tone, but I bet it would change the price!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

If you practice in the spare bedroom don’t buy a pick the same colour as the quilt

14. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

How about a "Clapper"?
    Rush Burkhardt
    Towson, MD

Free opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I have used the same pick for 4 1/2 years. I got it from the guitjo player in Old Crow Medicine Show while passing through Nashville. (The bass player in my old band is a longtime friend and was staying there.) He uses one pick for a gig and then never again, claiming they're burnt out after one night. Had a ton of them sitting in a pile on his table. I've gotten a lot of use out of this "reject." There's a line from Psalm 118 that has stuck with me for most of my life: "The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone." This is a lesson in valuing.

It's a Dunlop 1.5 mm. It stays in my strings when not in use. It belongs nowhere else, having no other use. If I had a Blue Chip or Wegen or other, it would be the same. But it might mysteriously vanish.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

17. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

bluechip has a small wooden box with a slide top, for storing picks, you can probably get 3 or 4 in the box. if you don't store it in the strings, you might get one of the boxes and form the habit of putting it in the box soon as you finish.
    https://shop.bluechippick.net/bluechip-pick-box/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boxtop__42611_1322884093_1280_1280.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	174003
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boxopen__01624_1322884091_1280_1280.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	174004

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It reminds me of that joke that a keyring enables you to lose all your keys at once.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gelsenbury For This Useful Post:

Im with pops....i keep my blue chip in the strings.

That’s because i play at home, jams, open mics, gigs, friend’s homes.
    So a dedicated holder doesnt really make for a universal rountine.

All other picks reside in my jeans small pocket.
    Havent lost these.....

Ive lost a blue chip.
    It bugged me way too much, because i rarely lose stuff.

I DO change picks at times, while playing. Im not married to BCs at all, and now prefer Wegens, prime tones, among others.

I stupidly put a BC in my shirt pocket, once, at a jam, in a dim room, and, because i never do this, unwittingly, leaned over. Gone. Actually, im pretty sure a visiting mando player snatched it off the floor.

Fwiw, i also find adding a brightly colored dot of paint, to both sides, is acomfort. Easier to find in dim lighting, on a dark floor. I also etch my initials, but only because of the above event.

After much experimentation, I settled on the Dawg pick and that's what I regularly use now. Fortunately, they're not terribly expensive. As a matter of fact, he offered a deal a few months ago and I picked up a dozen of them at a great price. Of course, I try not to lose them and, so far, I've been successful. My biggest complaint would be putting the Monster Grip on a new pick. That takes every bit of 10 seconds.

I simply don't worry about it.

I am not affiliated with either Dawg (he has better taste) or Monster Grips (I'm sure they do, too).
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I don't use an expensive pick. Problem solved.

Actually, I have tried the expensive picks but have come back to something more basic.

I use a pick for several months at a time. At home, it stays on my desk with my capo (yeah). Playing out, it stays in my pants left pocket (with my capo and a backup pick) unless I am playing. There is also a backup pick in the case. I lose a pick about once every two years. The biggest risk I see is handing the pick to someone for whatever reason. It always winds up in their pocket. Habit, I'm sure.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Tell your wife how much you paid for that piece of plastic triangle. After that you wont be losing it.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    $5.49?? Businesses used to give those away.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I use an old hunting case from an “O” size pocket watch, they are eating a little harder to find but, they are out there. Find an old PW that does not work and have a watchmaker take the movement and crystal out, you kind of want the bezel intact, it looks nicer.
    Then you store that in your case and put it in your vest pocket (or watch pocket) WITH a chain just to be sure. I’ve been doing that for thirty years and it’s been really practical, until I started using the watch pocket in my Levi’s for my flip phone!
    But, I don’t carry one of those high dollar picks so, this is all window dressing for me.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Even precautions might backfire. Yesterday played at a nursing home. Was switching between guitar and mandolin. After tuning both instruments went to help my wife get her kantele sounding good with a microphone. Went back to my instruments and couldn't find the BC pick. Slight panic. Although I had other picks and grabbed one to get ready to play. Then looked again at the table behind the instruments. The brown topped table. Yup. There it was. Right where I put it. Blended in quite nice. Ugh.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Even precautions might backfire. Yesterday played at a nursing home. Was switching between guitar and mandolin. After tuning both instruments went to help my wife get her kantele sounding good with a microphone. Went back to my instruments and couldn't find the BC pick. Slight panic. Although I had other picks and grabbed one to get ready to play. Then looked again at the table behind the instruments. The brown topped table. Yup. There it was. Right where I put it. Blended in quite nice. Ugh.
    A cautionary tale! From now on when I send a contract for a gig I will always request a contrasting colored table. In fact I will also request a room without a brown rug. Otherwise, I will zero out all my $35 dollar gigs.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

30. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Strings or fingers, no problem about forgetting where you left it or what color the table, floor, etc. is.

I have gone to a Wegen, so not as expensive, but I don't think I have lost a pick in decades of playing. My partner is always looking for her pick as she lays it down somewhere, it's hard to remember where that somewhere is these days. Strings or finger narrows that down a lot. Hmmm it's not in my fingers, must be in the strings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

32. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post: