Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How To Avoid Losing An Expensive Pick

Default Re: How To Avoid Losing An Expensive Pick

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Strings or fingers, no problem about forgetting where you left it or what color the table, floor, etc. is.

I have gone to a Wegen, so not as expensive, but I don't think I have lost a pick in decades of playing. My partner is always looking for her pick as she lays it down somewhere, it's hard to remember where that somewhere is these days. Strings or finger narrows that down a lot. Hmmm it's not in my fingers, must be in the strings.
    Unless you forget which instrument it's in. That's also happened. It's also why for more and more gigs I'm just switching back to Clayton acetal. Easier to see, and for some reason tougher to lose.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Unless you forget which instrument it's in. That's also happened. It's also why for more and more gigs I'm just switching back to Clayton acetal. Easier to see, and for some reason tougher to lose.
    I have my favorite pick in the strings if each instrument, along with a tuner in each case. I am too old to remember if I put in a pick or tuner. They all have a set of strings in case of a broken string, tho that is rare. There are also spare picks of various kinds in each instrument. At this stage of my life the easier the better, and I just want to be able to grab an instrument an go. I have one small case for cords, and mics, for gigs that works for any instrument. With of course spare cords.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I actually buy these by the dozen for $20:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81phHu2mSML._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	183.5 KB 
ID:	174062
    I have 2 in every mandolin case and 1 in the watch pocket of every pair of jeans. I even leave them in through the laundry. I also have 1 or 2 stashed in my wallet. I'm never without a good pick.

Buy yourself 2 dozen for the same price as a BlueChip and you'll not fret about losing your prized plastic again.

I met a man who glued a thread to his pick and clipped the other end to his sleeve. I think he was using tortoise shell.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I have my favorite pick in the strings if each instrument, along with a tuner in each case. I am too old to remember if I put in a pick or tuner. They all have a set of strings in case of a broken string, tho that is rare. There are also spare picks of various kinds in each instrument. At this stage of my life the easier the better, and I just want to be able to grab an instrument an go. I have one small case for cords, and mics, for gigs that works for any instrument. With of course spare cords.
    Always a good way to go. Am similar with the tuner and extra picks (and batteries). On guitar I add bridge pins and capo to the case, too. Just have too many instruments to go with a BC in the strings of each. Plus, my mood changes on what pick I like best. Oh yeah, and a cloth to wipe down instrument/strings.

If heading out to play a few gigs or to a festival, it's more like 2 or 3 packs of strings in that case. Just one bag for mics and cables so far.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

7. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Always a good way to go. Am similar with the tuner and extra picks (and batteries). On guitar I add bridge pins and capo to the case, too. Just have too many instruments to go with a BC in the strings of each. Plus, my mood changes on what pick I like best. Oh yeah, and a cloth to wipe down instrument/strings.

If heading out to play a few gigs or to a festival, it's more like 2 or 3 packs of strings in that case. Just one bag for mics and cables so far.
    Sounds like we are a lot alike, I too carry batteries. I have left BC and gone to Wegens so easier to put them in the cases. I don't play guitar out anymore so it's just the mandolins.

9. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

I put it in the strings of an expensive mandolin

11. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post:

Blog Entries

Lots of good ideas/practices here. The main thing they all have in common is consistency and habit.

I also have a small (1.5" sides) dish made of thick glass on my desk and the 3 or 4 BC picks that I have along with some Red Bears and Wegens and other kinds stay there.

I seldom use my BC picks actually. I'm like Ivan and Colorado-al -- I prefer the Dunlop Primtone 1.3 picks (DP). I think they are made of similar type plastic and the rough, dimpled surface in the center makes them easy to hold onto.

I keep one of DP pick in strings of all the 7 instruments I have hanging on the wall in my office. Sometimes I'll try one of the BCs (or some other pick from the pick dish) but always end up coming back to the Primetones.

One way to make dang sure you never lose a BC is to epoxy it to your case.....
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

My extra BCs live in a pick holder instead of loose in the case or a dish. The one I'm using, I'm as fickle as a hound dog for picks, lives in the strings of my Collings. I have decided that today, I like CT-55 for TI heavy flats, and TAD-40 or 60 (fickle) 3R for EXP74CM. Why, I am not sure. That is bound to change at some point. And then change back.

As above, find a routine. And play with a spare pro-plec or Dunlop if in a can't drop situation. White Wegens are easy to find on a dark stage. BC, not so much.
    <><><>><<><><>
    Start slow, fade early

Best way not to lose it is not to have it in the first place!

I simply wouldn't trust myself to hang on to it so I don't even try, and anyway I'm quite happy with Dunlop 88s or white Swedish sharkfins. I've got them in various drawers and things around the house, plus at least three of each in my wallet.

Mind you, funny things do happen. I was selling lambs at the auction mart last week and thought I'd lost my car keys. Turned out they had somehow missed my trouser pocket and fallen down into my waterproof trousers. I must have been walking about like that for about three hours and I didn't feel them rubbing against my leg, nor did they fall out. Car keys would be more of a problem than a pick ....
    David A. Gordon

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    Best way not to lose it is not to have it in the first place!
    Thanks for taking the plunge. Ever since this thread popped up, I have waited for someone to say that
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I never put it down except for these locations:

- it has it's own spot on the desk, there can be only one (spot), this is it's real home.
    - tuner pocket in case.
    - on the stand on stage.
    - in the wallet, this one I am still deciding if I want to keep using, I am worried it can slip out of the wallet.

Still on my first one. Had it over a year.

I don't loan BC's, I did give one away once, the guitar player ended up not liking it, so no more freebies. :-)
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Blog Entries

Get out of the habit of losing your picks. There are lots of things that size you never lose. Or never lose twice.

Car key
    Door key
    Thumb drive of important documents or pictures
    Engagement or Wedding ring
    That dongle you need to run that expensive software
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I would seriously petition BC to offer a bright orange color option. The brown blends into everything. Its like losing a contact lens when I drop it. Everyone goes on high alert!

Always leave it between strings. Always. Always. Oh yeah and always leave it between strings. Yeah, consistency is the only solution. Blessings

Quote Originally Posted by Al Trujillo View Post
    I would seriously petition BC to offer a bright orange color option. The brown blends into everything. Its like losing a contact lens when I drop it. Everyone goes on high alert!
    I don't think there is a color option for the raw materials, tho maybe. You could always paint an orange center on both sides of the pick. Not too big, don't want to lose the tactile feeling they give.

21. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post: