Thread: 12 string Mandriola

Default 12 string Mandriola

I recently picked up a 12 string mandriola to restore. I don’t know much about them other than the third G and D strings are tuned an octave lower than the other two. The question I’m trying to have answered is concerning the strings. Are all of the strings the same size or are the strings that are tuned an octave lower a different size. I appreciate anyone’s knowledge on this so I can complete my project. Thanks.

Default Re: 12 string Mandriola

Much much heavier on the Octave strings - I would personally avoid octave tuning on the G, and just use it on the DAE strings. A string tension calculator will give you the gauges. Here's what they end up sounding like:

3. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Tact. Thanks for the info. I’d like to stay true to what I’ve read so far on the Mandriola. The A Ana E have no octave change. Only an octave down for the third string of G and D. Additionally the string tension site doesn’t include a Mandriola so it wasn’t of much help. Id appreciate any additional help you or anyone else out there may have to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtaodc View Post
    Tact. Thanks for the info. I’d like to stay true to what I’ve read so far on the Mandriola. The A Ana E have no octave change. Only an octave down for the third string of G and D. Additionally the string tension site doesn’t include a Mandriola so it wasn’t of much help. Id appreciate any additional help you or anyone else out there may have to offer.
    Where did you hear that the a and e strings weren't in octaves? certainly the German tradition is that they are, see for example: https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/stri...=cpc&utm_term= which also gives you the gauges they use.

Tavy
    Looks as though I may have gotten some misinformation online and I greatly appreciate your quick follow up. Now that I’ve been set straight I have one last question. In your initial response you mentioned that you would avoid octave tuning on the G string. I’m curious why and do you then recommend using the same gauge as the other 2 G’s?
    Thanks again.

You might like to try this string tension calculator. I find it very useful as it doesn't try to lock you into specific instruments.
    https://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_guitar_string.htm
    Mandolins: Bandolim by Antonio Pereira Cabral
    German flatback mandola by unknown maker converted from a descant Waldzither

Tonydxn thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Namtaodc View Post
    Tavy
    Looks as though I may have gotten some misinformation online and I greatly appreciate your quick follow up. Now that I’ve been set straight I have one last question. In your initial response you mentioned that you would avoid octave tuning on the G string. I’m curious why and do you then recommend using the same gauge as the other 2 G’s?
    Thanks again.
    All the same gauges and tuning on the G for me - as even a .060 will be excessively floppy when tuned an octave down.

But experiment and see what you like.

I agree with Tavy. A mandolin is really too small an instrument to play such a low note. I do use the octave string on the G but it does sound muddy.
    Mandolins: Bandolim by Antonio Pereira Cabral
    German flatback mandola by unknown maker converted from a descant Waldzither

I thank you all again for the input.