Thread: Mandolin Kits

Default Mandolin Kits

Other than Stew Mac, Where else can one buy mandolin kits? I teach instrument building to adults and used a kit from International Violin and I have not been happy with the quality of those kits. Any suggestions for A or F styles? Thanks
    KMUZ Community Radio
    www.kmuz.org

Default Re: Mandolin Kits

Quote Originally Posted by mandomedic View Post
    Other than Stew Mac, Where else can one buy mandolin kits? I teach instrument building to adults and used a kit from International Violin and I have not been happy with the quality of those kits. Any suggestions for A or F styles? Thanks
    I don't think anyone else is making an A model kit anymore. The A model from IV (I think) is the same as the Saga kit you occasionally see floating around.
    Stewmac doesn't do an A model anymore. The other two that I knew of were Siminoff and Chris Baird (Arches), but they're both out of it now.
    I agree that the Saga A model kit is low quality. I did one a couple of years ago and ended up replacing a lot of the materials and redoing some of the glue joints. But for $100, that's to be expected. I have heard that the IV F model kit is of better quality, but I have no firsthand experience.

I think there's a market for a good A model kit. Or at least for rim assemblies, CNC'd tops and backs, etc.

No personal experience with Cafe member Buckhorn, but he posts regularly and represents that makes parts and kits for both A and F styles.

I'd be building another Arches for sure if they were still available.mgreat result with mine. LMI had a kit, but really it was enough wood pieces and you really start from scratch.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I've been building F5 style mandolins for almost 20 years.. About 8 years ago I started offering extra rims and necks that I had on hand.. A few years ago I developed an A5 style and have made a few, along with rims and necks for those.. My top and back plates are still hand carved and can take a couple of days each set. That in its' self won't justify investing in a full CNC setup, but I have let a few uncarved plates go with rim sets.. So, If you are willing to carve your own, this might help you out.. There are some small builders around, like me , that have CNC equipment that may be able to help with plates. I've even been approached about trading parts.. Maybe in the future...….
    kterry

Ken--the Forum has Ad #133640 for rims and necks . Keith Terry looks as if he has everything except tops and back to get your students started at a very reasonable price.

There was a thread recently about CNC backs and tops too.

The one thing I will tell you in hindsight, so many hours go into this it would be a shame to skimp on materials. If not a cosmetic masterpiece, you can make a fine sounding mandolin.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I purchased a rim and neck from Keith and they are great plus he’s available for questions. It will start you on your way without breaking the bank. Also talk to Ken at International Violins. I don’t have any experience with this kit but it looks good.

I don't think Smith Creek Mandolin has been mentioned. http://www.smithcreekmandolin.com/sm...kmandolin.html
    I ordered a cnc carved back for my current mandolin build from there. You can select different grades for your project.
    I liked the piece that I ordered.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Just hit the classifieds........

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/134089#134089

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings