Thread: More Than I Expected

Default More Than I Expected

Well last week I did it and am very pleased that I did. There was a Circle Strings tenor guitar in the classifieds. I pulled the trigger and got it last weekend. I had heard and read very good things about Adam Buchwald's tenors and it was all true. First of all the body shape is slightly unique starting with the slope shoulders. The body seems proportioned a little differently, too. It's built to accept high tension strings and can be played as an octave mandolin. Talk about a deep rich tone, I was overwhelmed by that. The strings are 13-25-36-47 and the guitar loves them. I do too. I've seen videos of Frank Solivan, Ronny McCoury, and Stuart Duncan all playing similar Circle Strings tenors and each of those instruments seem to "have it". Adam is a Froggy Bottom alumni and he learned his lessons well. If anyone is considering a new tenor then Circle Strings is worthy of looking at--NFI.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dorenac For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: More Than I Expected

Nice! I often thought about getting a tenor? But knowing me I'd have to go for an old and unique maybe even abused as wear don't bother me at all. Are the tenor guitars tuned like a tenor banjo?

Cool!
    2022 SRC Electric Octave Mandolin
    Crafter Acoustic/Electric Mandolin
    Surf City Octave Acoustic Mando
    Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele
    Epiphone 1924 Recording A Tenor Banjo
    Paramount 1929 Artcraft Tenor Banjo

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    Nice! I often thought about getting a tenor? But knowing me I'd have to go for an old and unique maybe even abused as wear don't bother me at all. Are the tenor guitars tuned like a tenor banjo?
    Standard tunings can be CGDA (normal tenor banjo), GDAE ("Irish" tenor banjo) or DGBE ("Chicago"). With shades inbetween. I love GDGD at the moment.... Love open tunings me! If not i usual be in GDAD like an Irish bouzouki. The beauty of a tenor is it's tuning flexibility. I think some folks tune them DGBD too which is def banjo territory!
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

6. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dorenac View Post
    Well last week I did it and am very pleased that I did. There was a Circle Strings tenor guitar in the classifieds. I pulled the trigger and got it last weekend. I had heard and read very good things about Adam Buchwald's tenors and it was all true. First of all the body shape is slightly unique starting with the slope shoulders. The body seems proportioned a little differently, too. It's built to accept high tension strings and can be played as an octave mandolin. Talk about a deep rich tone, I was overwhelmed by that. The strings are 13-25-36-47 and the guitar loves them. I do too. I've seen videos of Frank Solivan, Ronny McCoury, and Stuart Duncan all playing similar Circle Strings tenors and each of those instruments seem to "have it". Adam is a Froggy Bottom alumni and he learned his lessons well. If anyone is considering a new tenor then Circle Strings is worthy of looking at--NFI.
    Rob, tell us more about the 'conversion' to Octave Mandolin. Are you saying that you can add strings to have double courses?

Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Nah - just get the right strings and tune to GDAE *like* octave mandolin tuning
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website