Thread: Weber resale value w/ dings

Default Weber resale value w/ dings

Hey all, I am trying to determine a fair asking price for my Weber Gallatin A. I know what I would ask for if it was mint but unfortunately it is not. It got a pretty good dent in the top the day I bought it and I never could justify the cost of getting it repaired as it is a strictly cosmetic issue. What's the consensus as to a fair price point for a mandolin in this condition. I am not expecting to make out extremely well but I am selling off a few things to help fund a new mando so every bit helps. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cXQmAEzBRvSkJP3huufWpw.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	632.9 KB 
ID:	173926
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a5wLY06nSEGRLT71MDRevw.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	718.0 KB 
ID:	173927

Default Re: Weber resale value w/ dings

3/4 of what you paid, depending on what someone else thinks of the dent. They typically don't appreciate in value.

There's over 600 mandolins for sale on the site. You could also look at those prices.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Those are pretty deep dents. Not just in the finish, but wood is obviously compressed. If I were buying it I would be worried about those weak spots being the starting point for a crack. Kind of like when a stone hits your windshield and it gets a chip. That’s a weak spot, and a crack may start there eventually. Or it may not. But to me it’s slightly more than cosmetic. Start with what you payed for it and take off 30 percent for fair value in excellent condition. So if you paid 2000 (just guessing), you have 1600. Then take 20 percent off of that for the damage. So I think you could start at 1280, but be willing to bargain down from there. Some may think I’m being too harsh. But you’re asking a potential buyer to take a bit of a chance.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post

There's over 600 mandolins for sale on the site. You could also look at those prices.
    Yeah I'll get on that

<violates forum guidelines>
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jan-10-2019 at 9:55am. Reason: violates forum guidelines

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Adrian Minarovic

The dents look bad but the finish is still there and I think they could be steamed out and made into small finish dents... 30 minutes of time of a good luthier can make them almost disappear (since it is satin finish, buffing and filling would not make them invisible).
    Here is how Frank Ford does it:
    http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luth...steamout1.html
    Adrian

8. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

<violates forum guidelines>
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jan-10-2019 at 9:55am. Reason: violates forum guidelines

I don't trust a mandolin without any dents.

I'd get a repair estimate. It can be steamed out by a talented repair person. Discount accordingly.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Used prices are roughly 2/3 of new. Most used instruments are not going to be mint condition. Some are better than others. If mint, you might get 3/4 of new. I'd price it at 2/3, making sure to accurately describe the condition and the dent. You can always haggle with interested parties or change the price if you get no response.

It is possible to search the classifieds for ‘Gallatin’ and see listings with prices. It’s under ‘Search’ on the classified page.

Ymmv

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Another thing that makes this tough is everyone has different standards as to what they will accept. I have a 65 Epiphone Texan guitar that is very battered and bruised. It is my most prized guitar, but if I were to see a Collings guitar, otherwise pristine with a ding like your mandolin has, I'd be put off. Go figure. Gryphon had an F5G a year or so ago for $2500. It looked great from the front, but where the back binding would have been had it had back binding, there were about 50 chipped dings all along the lower bout.

Someone who could overlook that got a steal of a good playing mandolin. But I have to think it would have brought $600-800 more if it was normal dings and dents. This is all so subjective. But someone looking for an upgrade should be willing to deal for a good price. I'd put it on the classifieds for more than you'd be willing to take and let the marketplace beat you into submission. LOL
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

15. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    It is possible to search the classifieds for ‘Gallatin’ and see listings with prices. It’s under ‘Search’ on the classified page.

Ymmv
    Maybe I should reword the post so it's easier for some to understand. I am not as much interested in what a used Gallatin sells for as much as I'm interested in how the membership evaluates resale value of instruments with certain aesthetic faults. But thanks anyway

I don't personally think the dents are bad. On a new instruemnt, yeah, that would eb bad! It shouldn't devalue a used instrument much.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

===========

Trash, garbage, useless firewood . . . I'll do you a favor and give you $100 cash - no haggling.

19. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

ABrown 

Quote Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
    Maybe I should reword the post so it's easier for some to understand. I am not as much interested in what a used Gallatin sells for as much as I'm interested in how the membership evaluates resale value of instruments with certain aesthetic faults. But thanks anyway
    Depends on the fault and how bad it is. Small nick in the back of the headstock or tiny scratch - no big deal. Large noticeable crack - big deal. Repaired tiny crack - a bit of a deal. Just to give you an idea of how I feel about certain faults. YMMV.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    Trash, garbage, useless firewood . . . I'll do you a favor and give you $100 cash - no haggling.

Dang beat me to it! You might want to consider the deal... who's even heard of Weber anyways?

Yeah, Weber! Aren’t they the company that makes them BBQ grills? That’s what I get when I Google Weber!

They probably made that thing to be kindling for one of their charcoal units. Heck, I’d outbid Mike and give you $110! I love a good fire!

OK, now, who let the amateur comedians out? Seriously though, I stand by my original assessment. You really had the best answers in post #3 and #10, IMHO.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

You guys are insulting. The mandolin is worth $200 easy.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    You guys are insulting. The mandolin is worth $200 easy.
    Low-ballin'. I'll go $225 and throw in a "nice" quasi leather strap.