Thread: How Long is Long Enough

Default How Long is Long Enough

This is a ticklish question/situation for me. I have a mandolin whose saddle broke a while back. So the 2nd week of December I sent it to the builder to use to make a new one. Including several days shipping and the holidays of December and up to now, the bridge has been gone a month. I don't have other mandolins, the one with broken bridge is my one and only. I emailed the builder and he responded how he would make another saddle. That was 5 days ago. Am I being too impatient in wanting a new bridge and saddle sent back by now? I don't want to be pushy or unfair, but I don't know what a reasonable turn around time should be either. Yes each builder has their own schedule and demands on their time. And I certainly don't want to be offensive about this either. Should I just sit tight a little longer?
    Last edited by dorenac; Jan-08-2019 at 6:31pm.

Default Re: How Long is Long Enough

I would probably give it another few days, then if I had heard nothing I would politely ask when to start looking for it in the mail, so you don't miss it. I am presuming you paid for it, or is it under warranty?

Keep it simple. Call and check-in.

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Sorensen For This Useful Post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

It’s holiday season. Give him another week.

Though I’d be impatient too.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Sorry it broke, but the world basically shuts down from Thanksgiving to New Years.....bad timing.....so unless the guy is single and has no family, he probably had other obligations, I'm guessing. Give it some time......IMHO.

Is the mandolin in warranty and/or is it his fault that the saddle broke? If not, he may well have no obligation to fix it and your an his priorities may not coincide. Did you not ask him at the time how long the job would take? I’d suggest you ask him nicely for an update and take it from there.

Of course it’s entirely possible that the original bridge was made by someone else and he too is waiting for a replacement.

I know it can be frustrating - a luthier “friend” had a guitar of mine with a finish issue for over four years before I retrieved it and got someone else to complete the job!

This mandolin is getting some age on it. 30 years getting close to 40 years. And I'm pretty sure it was built by the luthier. The builder is the one who offered to make another. I am offering to pay him. So those areas are covered. Not being the original owner I have no expectation of warranty work. And as Jeff Mando mentioned the world does shutdown after Thanksgiving. The silver lining is my old guitar chops are getting better again. Practicing on a larger fretboard will make the mandolin so easy to play once it's back in action.

How could you possibly put yourself into this situation. Don't you know everyone needs at least two mandolins? Minimum. Case closed, no arguments. Someone out there could get you a second mandolin in just a few days. Pick one of the sponsor banners and click on it.

Glad I could be of service.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    How could you possibly put yourself into this situation. Don't you know everyone needs at least two mandolins? Minimum. Case closed, no arguments. Someone out there could get you a second mandolin in just a few days. Pick one of the sponsor banners and click on it.

Glad I could be of service.
    I humbly stand chastised. But don't tempt me, my wife will step in!

Hmmm... I was also thinking “only one mandolin”. You could borrow one of my 14 but I live a bit far away. My wife doesn’t complain about the cost, only the space they take up, but she has a similar problem with shoes!

12. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dorenac View Post
    I humbly stand chastised. But don't tempt me, my wife will step in!
    Boy, you really need help.

Rule #1: Don't ask permission, beg forgiveness.

Rule#2: Stick to the same style mandolin case.

Rule#3: Be prepared to remodel the kitchen.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Boy, you really need help.

Rule #1: Don't ask permission, beg forgiveness.

Rule#3: Be prepared to remodel the kitchen.
    Great advice. She's getting a new fancy gas range, which should be in next week. I'm going to give another week or so about this bridge thing and then start gentle nudging towards the end of the month. All I can say is it better be a work of acoustic art.
    Last edited by dorenac; Jan-09-2019 at 6:29pm.

I bit the bullet during a remodel and bought a Viking range, and boy I have never regretted it. Even a grilled cheese sandwich is superior, and no more watching that spaghetti water for ages.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I bit the bullet during a remodel and bought a Viking range.
    Hey Br1ck I sure am glad my wife doesn't read Cafe posts. You aren't helping my plight very much. But to all you Cafe people who have posted and PM'd I want to thank you for some great advice and some generous responses of other kinds. You guys are wonderful friends. It has been overwhelming! As of now, armed with some private info, I am just going to keep patient and look forward to when I can put the bridge back on my mandolin "Dora".

As of the end of this week still no bridge and no communication from my builder. I will be buying another mandolin which should be in next week. John Hamlett a.k.a. Sunburst has an A model available and having owned one of his mandolins before I feel very excited to have another. Br1ck and Ray(T) you shamed me, convinced me, tempted me, I'm not sure what. Withdrawal was starting to rear its ugly head so I had to do something. A good friend has loaned me one of his mandolins for the duration, at least until the Hamlett comes, so the stress has eased.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dorenac For This Useful Post:

I a glad to hear that you are getting one of Joh Hamlett's mandolins. He is always on my short list and a nice guy, too. Alsop very generous with his expert advice.

Quote Originally Posted by dorenac View Post
    This mandolin is getting some age on it. 30 years getting close to 40 years. And I'm pretty sure it was built by the luthier. The builder is the one who offered to make another. I am offering to pay him. So those areas are covered.
    As for the bridge: Is this maker's bridges unique in the world or integral to this particular mandolin? Is there some reason a good quality bridge like a Cumberland Acoustic or the like would not suffice?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Nice to know that you’re getting things back on track.

One technique that works (worked?) for me is that (1) you buy a better mandolin than you already have but hold on to the old one whilst you play the new one in. By the time it’s sounding the way you want it to, you have no need to sell the old one and (2) repeat. That way you’ll eventually have plenty of mandolins to go at. The only problem so far has been the devil of a choice over which one to take to the next session.

Like Jim said, order one from Cumberland Acoustic..........

https://cumberlandacoustic.com/product/mandolin-bridge/

Steve is a great guy to work with.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

23. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Bridges are available from several sources. If you still have the bridge base, Axiom [axinc.net] sells high quality saddles for $26.50 + shipping.

Just about any decent acoustic repairman can fit and adjust a new saddle in an hour or so if you still have the bridge base.
    If you have to replace the whole bridge, it would require a repair person with a higher skill level and take longer. But the job still could be done in an afternoon.

This thread, I don't know, it just seems like a device to give cover to the goal of a MAS-fix.
    And I like it.
    Look! Is that a crack in my saddle?
    I'd break my mando in half for a Hamlett A. (nfi)

Yesterday the wait ended and I must say it turned out a happy ending. A new custom made bridge saddle, with a new set of strings, and this mandolin is sounding like her old self. Loud, clear, warm articulation of notes. Was it worth the wait? Very much so, but it took some whining and a new A mandolin to get through the 2 months. I've learned my lesson, everyone needs at least two mandolins along with patience. It's been fun!

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dorenac For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Ooh that's devious