Thread: Help me evaluate a peghead?

Default Help me evaluate a peghead?

I've got an instrument here that I'm planning on keeping, but in the playing position the peghead seemed out of alignment somehow to me.

I tracked down the optical illusion to the treble side tuning plate being whacked. Presumably dropped sometime in the last 30 years...

I can get a 1mm pick under the inside edge of the tuner plate all the way from top to bottom on the inside, and I don't dare try to screw it in to get it flat because I'll just strip something.

Would love you all to take a look at it and let me know how you'd address this. Just pull the plate and do some backyard repair tweaks?

The second thing is that line on the treble side that goes from the joint for the peghead ears towards the spine of the neck. I can't feel it through the finish, and it's hard to tell what is going on there. Just want to make sure that is likely nothing as well if anybody has seen this before.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0657.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	629.5 KB 
ID:	173893

Name:	IMG_0659.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	949.4 KB 
ID:	173894

Name:	IMG_0661.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	173895

Name:	IMG_0656.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	261.4 KB 
ID:	173896
    Scott R.
    -
    2019 Ellis F5 Special #464 - Facebook Build
    2017 Pava A5 Pro - Autumn Burst
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Want to list your instruments with galleries in your signature?
    Check out RuttList Instrument Archive to create your own galleries for free.

Default Re: Help me evaluate a peghead?

I guess I would be curious about the original alignment of the peg holes. Were they drilled in line or crooked?
    Do the turner machines work well enough?

Eric, everything is very smooth turning, machines are not binding at all.

The seller is graciously allowing me to pull everything apart tonight to check it out, I'm just hoping for advice on what I need to look for to be double sure.

Thanks!
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

If the tuners are working fine it looks like a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Apparently, the screw holes in the back of the peghead (for the tuner plate) are offset from the center line of the tuner bushings in the front of the peghead. Why? I have no idea.
    The tuners look like Schallers or Grovers, and depending on the size of the bushings (HUGE, in the case of Schallers, only "large" in the case of Grovers), there might be pretty large holes through the peghead... or someone might have used one of those reamer tools that makes the bushing end of the hole bigger than the tuner plate end of the hole (for whatever reason it is that people do that). If the holes through the peghead are big enough for clearance on the the tuner posts, a new set of screw holes in the back of the peghead, better aligned, should allow the tuner plate to lie flat on the back of the peghead.
    If, somehow, someone managed to drill the tuner holes at an angle through the peghead, relieving the appropriate side of the holes at the back of the peghead could allow the tuner plate to lie flat (along with new screw holes).
    In either case, the remedy would make it so that the tuner plate would no longer fit it's footprint in the finish, so it comes down to which you think looks better; tilted tuners of exposed finish damage next to the tuner plate.

There's also the possibility that neither of my guesses is correct and something else is causing the tilt.

As for your other question about the line in the wood, I can't tell what is going on there, but I can't imagine that whatever it is will cause major problems.

Hi John! Thanks

I do think the plate is bent, and I'm hoping the screws aren't straight.

Doing some more forensics, trying to determine what is going on I found a silhouette above the tuner plate that suggest these aren't the original tuners.

Name:	IMG_0664.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	376.0 KB 
ID:	173899
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Adrian Minarovic

I think you can disassemble the tuners and flatten the plate back using gentle pressure. I can see the whole plate is bent also across the width (pushing the middle tuning knobs away from centerline). This is because the "tabs" holding the worms are open on one side but closed on the other end. That could be harder to straighten but manageable (pressure of small vise and wooden wedges would be ideal). The original footprint looks like the gotoh tuners.
    The lines in the other pics look like joints of added "ears" to peghead which is normal and one or two more prominent annual rings in the wood. Nothing to worry about.
    Adrian

Those look to be the older model Schaller worm under F tuning machines. They are not made anymore. I'd personally replace them if they are bent. You could do Gotoh F worm under for about $80

Yep, I think your advice is solid. Are there any good F tuners between Gotoh and Waverly that are worth looking at?
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

It looks like Rubner are out of stock for worm under.
    Check out the Schaller GrandTune
    https://www.lmii.com/schaller-mandol...y-buttons.html
    https://www.lmii.com/schaller-mandol...d-buttons.html

Looks like old Schaller are still available
    https://www.lmii.com/schaller-mandol...d-buttons.html

Ok took the tuners out. Here is what I found.

Holes are straight.

Tuners were tweaked, easily straightened.

Last issue I’m looking at fixing is probably the reason the tuners were tweaked so easily.

4/5 of the tuning plate screws are stripped.

What’s the right way to fix this? My normal fix for stripped holes in wood involves match sticks shaved to fill the gap and gain traction.
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Spot on with filing the holes with match sticks or tooth picks. You might put a tiny drop of wood glue in first.

Hi Scott - "....I do think the plate is bent, ..". It looked that way to me too.

'Stripped' screw holes !. colorado_al has it. You could go up one size in the screws themselves,but a nicely filled screw hole,carefully pilot drilled again to give the screws a good start,would be my option. For things like that,i use extremely fine drill bits used with a Pin drill,
    Ivan

Name:	Pin Drill & Bits.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	173904
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

'Would't be an F5 if something was't busted up or repaired on the heastock....

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Yeah, for a 30 year old instrument it is in pretty good shape. Anything that has to do with a twisty neck always has me concerned. This one, however, is perfectly fine.

Thanks for all the support everybody!
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist