Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tap tuning

Default Re: Tap tuning

Please - For those of us who don't know,what is FFT ?. Maybe i should know,but i don't,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Fast Fourier Transform. Google it.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

3. The following members say thank you to peter.coombe for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by peter.coombe View Post
    So, you might need to re-examine your belief. It ain't that simple.
    I was assuming an "all else being equal", but you make some good points I hadn't thought about. Typically I only really think about top mass and FFT, back mass and FFT, air volume, aperture size/shape/position. Everything else seems to be significantly less critical.

I've been playing around with a mandolin by putting bracing on the top. Even easier than some of the other top test mule rigs which have been discussed here, because you can change the brace shape, mass, and position while playing it after every plane stroke or scraper scrape.
    It's made me realize how subtle the impact of bracing is on tone. As in, what large changes in geometry are needed for substantial impact on tone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190111_115545726.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	313.9 KB 
ID:	174020

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    I was assuming an "all else being equal", but you make some good points I hadn't thought about. Typically I only really think about top mass and FFT, back mass and FFT, air volume, aperture size/shape/position. Everything else seems to be significantly less critical.

I've been playing around with a mandolin by putting bracing on the top. Even easier than some of the other top test mule rigs which have been discussed here, because you can change the brace shape, mass, and position while playing it after every plane stroke or scraper scrape.
    It's made me realize how subtle the impact of bracing is on tone. As in, what large changes in geometry are needed for substantial impact on tone.

Now that is some REVERSE engineering LOL.
    Adrian

7. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

I've found little that has a "substantial" change in tone. However, lots and lots of little adjustments and changes that complement each other hit small jump points that are improvements. These improvements come in balance, speed of response, clarity, warmth, sparkle. Everything. Most aren't uniform across the spectrum, so a good deal of back and forth is involved.

But it's not tap tuning. I know what I'm looking for in working on pieces of wood, and I do tap (among other things), but I'm looking primarily at relationships and character of response, not a magic pitch!
    Stephen Perry

9. The following members say thank you to Stephen Perry for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post

I did this a while ago as well, and it is one reason why I came to the conclusion that once the shape of the arch is carved, all other things like thickness and tone bar size is secondary having less influence on tone than originally thought.

Arch shape is king.