Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you store your instruments when not playing

Default How do you store your instruments when not playing

So, you've called in quits for the night and you put that axe away. Back in the case and under the bed? Hung it on a hook on the wall? Or, lean it in the corner till the next time? I hear horror stories usually involving running kids or wagging tails or just setting down on the couch. We all want to protect those mandolins that we value so much and give us so much joy. Music stores like to hang 'em by the neck so all can see. Some guys have little stands that set on the floor or table. How do you take care of your babies.. Show us all pictures of how you protect those mandos, regardless of if they are yard sale specials, or that missing numbered LOAR your grandpa had in the closet all those years...….
    kterry

Default Re: How do you store your instruments when not playing

Hercules violin stands on the floor.

I run a whole house evaporative humidifier in the heating season, and it does a decent job. Unless the forced air heat runs a lot, it doesn't have a problem keeping it in the 40s. It hasn't been that bad here in the Chicago area this winter. If the humidity is in the 30s, they go in their cases for the night, with a humidifier in the case. I don't keep a humidifier in the case all the time. Otherwise, they are on the stands for 12+ hours, regardless if I am playing them or not. I like to have them available to pick up at anytime. I am not too concerned with the humidity, I feel that a well made mandolin should be able to cope with the environment you live in.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

I put them back in their cases, where they won't be bumped around, with in-case humidifiers in winter when the house is very dry -- that's the least of my problems in the humid summer months. As Gary suggests, the downside is that I'm less inclined to grab an instrument spontaneously and play it for a few minutes. (If you want a picture, you can draw your own.)
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

In the case! Protective, slows environmental changes, precludes clumsy accidents.

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve Sorensen For This Useful Post:

In the case, every time! My mother did not name me "Grace" for a very good reason! Plus the cats, and there is no place safer!

If it is not being played it goes in the case. We don't have to worry about children or pets but living a block from the beach, the salt air does a number on the strings if left out.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

In the case. That is what it is for.

Bah, two dogs, two cats, and an 11 year old who likes strumming any instrument. I still keep them on the stands in the living room.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

in the case

I put my gigging mandolins away in the closet but I do leave a number of guitars out on stands for ready access.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MusicRoomCloset 01.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	173832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MusicRoomCloset 02.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	234.7 KB 
ID:	173833  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Back in their cases every time,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I have one on a guitar store wall hanger with the gates that close when the weight of the instrument pulls the mechanism. The rest in cases.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

On a Hercules guitar stand for easy access. I play in the spare bedroom so they only go in the case if we have guests

Like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0220181318.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	492.8 KB 
ID:	173837
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0220181318a.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	433.3 KB 
ID:	173838

This is in my heated, insulated, humidity-controlled basement. I keep 'em where I can see 'em, reach 'em and play 'em. I don't have any critters or small children to mess with 'em. I've been doing it like this for almost 6 years now.

Standard instrument cases aren't magic. They aren't hermetically sealed micro environments. They offer protection from dust, light, collision with other objects and that's it. They will slow down heating, cooling, humidification and dehumidification, but they can't prevent those changes. Dampits, humidipaks, hygrometers, etc. help us monitor and attempt to adjust humidity but really don't protect against changes unless we take action to adjust and maintain optimum temperature and RH, which is what I do in my instrument room. I use cases for transporting instruments in.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobart For This Useful Post:

Case

Yea, back in the cases, period.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Since their are no pets or children in the house, (and without central humidification),

If the relative humidity (always monitored in several rooms) is between 40 and 60%, one mandolin hangs on a sturdy stand and the others remain in a case with in-case hygrometer at ~40% (humidifier present if needed).

If RH is outside of that range, then all instruments go to monitored cases when not being played. No problems in the past few decades.

(We need an emoticon for 'crossed fingers'.)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Back in the case. Everything lives in its case when it is not being played.

Have a Hercules 3 instrument stand I use if I’m practicing multiple instruments during the same session, and will leave them there for a couple of hours if I know I’m coming back to it, but they go in their cases when I’m done for the day.
    Chuck

Blog Entries

Advantages of solitary living, no pets --- instrument always stays out where I can simply pick it up and play. Especially annoying was violin procedure of taking out the fiddle, the bow, maybe rosin, attaching shoulder rest. Not an invitation to practice, so after I became single it stayed out nonstop. I got lots of practicing done.

With dangerous animals (kids, friends) around I put in a case. At gigs it goes in the case on a break.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

23. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
    Advantages of solitary living, no pets --- instrument always stays out where I can simply pick it up and play. Especially annoying was violin procedure of taking out the fiddle, the bow, maybe rosin, attaching shoulder rest. Not an invitation to practice, so after I became single it stayed out nonstop. I got lots of practicing done.

With dangerous animals (kids, friends) around I put in a case. At gigs it goes in the case on a break.
    Clearly, you haven't had bow bugs, which enjoy gobbling the old horsetail, and are very hard to get rid of.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    Clearly, you haven't had bow bugs, which enjoy gobbling the old horsetail, and are very hard to get rid of.
    I've heard bow bugs are a bigger problem in the case, and one of the treatments is to leave the bow and open case out in the sunshine and open air.

Bow bugs live in old cases and ones that are usually in storage and not opened much. It should not be a problem with a new case. If you have bow bugs either get a new case and throw out the old one. Here is a good article on the subject.

I store everything in cases. When I was single I did hang my active instruments on the wall and it was very convenient for practicing. However, one time I grabbed my fiddle case to go to a party and traveled into the city with it. As I was walking to the party that evening, I realized that my case was too light. When I opened it I realized that my fiddle and bow were hanging on the wall. Oops. This was in my spaced-out thirties not my current spaced-out sixties.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    Clearly, you haven't had bow bugs.........
    Oh no! Another thing to worry about, along with dust mites in my mattress! (which honestly, nobody had ever heard of before those Mattress Firm commercials started running on tv..........)

Three dogs mean my Girouard (and all other instruments) go back into their cases after playing - doesn't impact how often I pick up my instruments at all, I average 3+ hours a day playing, 7 days a week, sometimes more! Ever since I was a kid I've enjoyed the ritual of getting an instrument out of it's case.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

29. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post: