Thread: Larson-attributed Dyer "harp mandola" at Bernunzio's

Default Larson-attributed Dyer "harp mandola" at Bernunzio's

For those who don't regularly peruse John B's list, here's a link to a Dyer "harp" mandola, attributed to the Larson brothers, currently in his shop. He's asking $5K, and one of his staff estimated it might need another $1K of restoration.

Dyer Symphony harp-mandola.

I've examined it, and while there are cracks and missing binding, I would hazard a guess that it could be made playable for less than the estimate, which I think is for a full restoration.

I was in the store to work out a deal for the Stahl Larson-attributed mandola I purchased, and the thought fleetingly crossed my mind, "Wonder what kinda deal I could get on the Dyer?"

Common sense prevailed, and I left with the Stahl. But the harp-mandola is a truly rare bird, and will be a star in someone's collection, IMHO.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Default Re: Larson-attributed Dyer "harp mandola" at Bernunzio's

wow, what a rare beauty.. too much for me but yeah a star in someones collection

Default Re: Larson-attributed Dyer "harp mandola" at Bernunzio's

Wow, what a find.

I agree that it could be stabilised and playable for considerably less than 1K, but those top cracks are pretty big and will very likely need more than simply gluing.

I do hope someone fixes her up properly though... sure would be interesting to hear her played.