Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The inferior mandolin

Blog Entries

Default Re: The inferior mandolin

Gear envy and equating gear with your talent level is a real trap. We see this in music and I see it in the photography world as well. Some folks just keep chasing the dragon (or worse the constant titling at windmills of what's the absolute best mandolin for me to buy) of new and better gear but still haven't learned how to use the tools they already have.

Having good (enough) gear is important. Having gear that does it's job is important. Knowing how to use it is even more important. I don't sound any different on a very expensive mandolin than I do on what I already have. For me the point is to make your art. Focus on you more than the tools you're using to make it. Maintain your tools and learn them and you can save a ton of $$ and heartache.

Finally, if you have a modest instrument that is set up and intonates that's a wonderful thing to have on hand to give away to someone who shows a genuine interest in playing. What better gift than to give someone the ability to make their own music?

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I could never go back to an MK after getting my F9 and American FF. Had one, glad its gone, don't miss it.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Blog Entries

I've seen that at least some of the early MKs had a light thin metal tailpiece -- almost traditional Gibson style -- and honestly I'm pretty sure that is one of the reasons that the later models sounded so much better...

The later MK tailpieces are two pieces of heavy sheet brass, welded to a length-matched sheet brass center piece, with fairly stout posts at the back of the tailpiece sticking upward for the string loops -- or string ball ends -- to fit over. It's a heavy tailpiece that also applies string pressure against the bridge (without bending).

Having been exposed to a large variety of tailpieces with banjos, I lean toward believing that the tailpiece does make a difference in tone and volume with a mandolin.

After seeing and hearing my MK, I've been tempted to get a nice cast tailpiece for my F-9... Putting it off for now.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

We who bought the 199.00 MKs realize exactly what they are, and what they were before spending a lot of time working on them, but my original post came about when I happily played mine all afternoon instead of walking 50 ft. to where my case was. I also played it a lot because I used to keep it on my desk. Certainly not because it sounded great, but because it sounded pretty good And was right there. And it took me falling on it to realize it was strong. Not a scratch. So until you can get better, one of these would work just fine.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Hi Don - The t/piece on my MK mandolin was almost lethal !!. It was made from thin metal of some sort,most likely brass (?).The main part (base ?) had been bent so that the 'bracket' that held it onto the mandolin was out of square by 5 degrees or more = it was hellishly lobsided. I think that the top cover was similar. It must have been hammered onto the base. I had to use a screwdriver (very carefully) & a set of pliers to remove it. I put new strings on it,left the cover off & ordered an Allen cast t/piece for it,which very fortunately had screw & endpin holes that lined up perfectly,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tokai - Michael Kelly & Gold Star.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	177.1 KB 
ID:	173887
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

7. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post: