Thread: Baggett Mandolins

Default Baggett Mandolins

Hi, I've looked everywhere and cant find much information on Baggett Mandolins,if anyone has played one or owns one please let me know your experience with them.
    Im looking at one to purchase but Im no where near where I can play it or see it up close.
    Thanks in advance,Al

Default Re: Baggett Mandolins

Are you talking about Dewayne Baggett from Tallapoosa, Georgia? If so, I know Dewayne and have owned 3 different Baggetts over the years. They've all sounded very good, but the ones I've had never quite played just right for me. That's not to say that they are not a good mandolin for their price point though. I would certainly ask for a 48 hour trial period at a minimum.

1924 Gibson A Jr. Snakehead
    2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

Yes, That's the person.
    He builds them himself? Not from a kit? I like what I see and just want to get more info. on his process.
    I really want a hand made in the U.S.A. Mandolin and I think the price is right, Thanks for your input.
    What was it about the feel of the instrument?

He does build them himself, I’ve been to his shop several times. The ones I had (this was 10+ years ago, so please take that into consideration) I could never get the action low enough past the 5th or 7th fret. Seems like the neck angle was off. However, there was one for sale in a local music stores years ago that I still wish I had of picked up. It sounded great and played well. I haven’t seen Dewayne in years, no particular reason, just haven’t crossed paths. I run into his brother a fair bit since he’s the fiddler for a band I sit in with from time to time. Glad to hear he’s still building. If you end up getting one from Dewayne, I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Just made a deal will have it in about 2 weeks, Ill let you know all about it!

Excellent, congratulations!