Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

Ah, thanks for asking Marty! They took more x-rays at my follow up appointment two weeks ago and the knee looks to be healing well. Stitches are out, but still not starting me on any physiotherapy for at least another 2-3 weeks. I've another follow up appointment in a fortnight. Knee brace now loosened to allow 60 degrees range of motion in the knee though it won't comfortably bend that far yet - I'm still in the 30-40 degree range. But the good news is that I'm basically pain free barring the occasional twinge of nerve pain across the knee. Still on crutches but have a cane ready and waiting for when they give me the all clear to switch to using it. Slowly making progress!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

Good news Jill! Maybe while you are laid up you could write a tune..."The busted patella hornpipe" or "The floor that broke the kneecap".

Wishing you a full recovery!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

4. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Glad you are recovering, if slowly, Jill. Looking forward to your new postings when you are playing-fit again. Are you looking foward to your return to home turf?
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Glad you are recovering, if slowly, Jill. Looking forward to your new postings when you are playing-fit again. Are you looking foward to your return to home turf?
    Thanks John! Yes, I am SO looking forward to returning home soon - gotta get meself better because there's lots to do in preparation of the move!
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

And you're goal with the animals will need you mobile! I hope you post some critter pics at some point!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

8. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

Harley Marty

Well Jill how's that knee coming along, you're probably nearly fit for the Olympics now! Or is that the Mandolympics

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Marty View Post
    Well Jill how's that knee coming along, you're probably nearly fit for the Olympics now! Or is that the Mandolympics
    Well I've been going to physical therapy twice a week for a month now, and do the exercises they give me three times a week. When I started my knee had about 30 degrees range of motion and normal range is 130. A month later I'm at 65-70 degrees range of motion. When I started PT 4 weeks ago the physical therapist was a little shocked at what little range I had - the surgeons had anticipated that I'd be at 90 degrees range at my first PT appointment, so way behind their expectations. Nonetheless I can walk around me apartment now without crutches or cane, and can walk outdoors with a cane. I practice walking twice a day and am walking 10-12 blocks each time, including going up and down some of the steeper streets in my neighborhood! So progress, while slow, has definitely been made - I even walked up to the shops yesterday to get the messages in! Normally takes me 30 min to do that, yesterday it took an hour, but I'm not complaining!

I've a follow up appointment on Thursday this week for one last set of x-rays. My physiotherapist wants them to ok me for another month of sessions with her, as she thinks if we do that she can get me up to 90-100 degrees range of motion, meaning I'd no longer need the cane. She doesn't think it's likely I'll get back to 130 degrees, too much scar tissue and progress has been too slow over the past month. It's up to the surgeons to approve or not, and it's probably unlikely as my "emergency" health coverage has expired now, so the rest of the recovery I'll be on me own.
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Sorry to hear you are not progressing as well as you had hoped, or been led to believe, Jill. I'm sure you have the resilience to go on with the recovery yourself, and a lot of folk are sending out the good vibes. Loved your comment about going for the messages - just what we would say over here in Scotland too. Going shopping is just far too posh! Just be careful when you are keeping time on the jigs and reels with that leg!
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Sorry to hear you are not progressing as well as you had hoped, or been led to believe, Jill. I'm sure you have the resilience to go on with the recovery yourself, and a lot of folk are sending out the good vibes. Loved your comment about going for the messages - just what we would say over here in Scotland too. Going shopping is just far too posh! Just be careful when you are keeping time on the jigs and reels with that leg!
    Cheers, John - despite not having as much range of motion as the doctors thought I would I still feel like I've come on leaps and bounds as I've got so much more of me independence back again, so I'll just keep on with the exercises meself and I reckon I'll get to at least 90 degrees before it's time to head back to Ireland (thinking the move will happen in June).
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Hi Jill, sorry for the delay in recovery of your knee injury. I struggled thru a knee injury many years ago and it was a long hard road...there is a site called knee guru that was very helpful with info and support. Best of luck with your continued recovery and upcoming move.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    Hi Jill, sorry for the delay in recovery of your knee injury. I struggled thru a knee injury many years ago and it was a long hard road...there is a site called knee guru that was very helpful with info and support. Best of luck with your continued recovery and upcoming move.
    Cheers, definitely going to check that site out!
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Well I hope that knee is still improving! Must be hard with the limited time to get out now. Hope it doesn't foul up your move back to Ireland as well. I bet your getting a lot of practice in though!

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    Well I hope that knee is still improving! Must be hard with the limited time to get out now. Hope it doesn't foul up your move back to Ireland as well. I bet your getting a lot of practice in though!
    Thanks for asking John! What with the shelter in place order here in SF I wasn't able to continue physiotherapy, so my last session was about 4-5 weeks ago. I've kept up with the exercises at home and get out for a walk once a day. The knee has a wee bit more range of motion (about 70-75 degrees now I reckon) but I'm not hopeful of getting anything more than that back at this stage. Right now I'm just focusing on staying healthy and getting prepared for the move back home, fingers crossed it will still happen as planned in June. Definitely getting a lot of playing done in the meantime! Hope you are yours are staying well and safe!
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

17. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Good to hear you are doing as well as you can, Jill, in the current circumstances. Your playing will be a great lift to you at present (and always). Let's hope that it is not too long before you can, in the words of an Irish song, "Go back again to Ireland.." but not, I hope, at "the closing of your days"!

19. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Well sort of good news. Keep at the knee you can get it back but it will take some work and a lot of stretching. As to playing I haven't doen a whole lot of any over the last 8 months just to busy and now that my company has us home I am workign feverishly on remodleing my hosue so I can refinace. I am working play time in thogh because I am slowly getting burned out. I tend to lose track of the days and work every one at all hours. Need to be more mindful of this for sure. Good luck on the relocation I sure hope it still owrks out wel for you and I hope we don't lose you here! Stay in touch!

21. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

As the veteran of more than my share of orthopedic surgeries, it seems like it takes a full year to heal completely. You will probably end up with quite a bit more than 70° of flex, but it may take awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    As the veteran of more than my share of orthopedic surgeries, it seems like it takes a full year to heal completely. You will probably end up with quite a bit more than 70° of flex, but it may take awhile.
    I hope you're right but my surgeon and physiotherapist both said that due to the fact that I've developed arthrofibrosis (my kneecap is completely surrounded by dense scar tissue that has proved extremely difficult to break up) I'll likely have limited range of motion in that knee unless they either 1) attempt "manipulation under anesthetic" - putting me under so that they can force the knee to bend or 2) Surgery to remove the scar tissue. Neither option is a possibility for me as I'm uninsured and only received temporary "emergency" coverage (now expired) for my knee surgery from the state. Even if I was covered, having read up on both options I'm not sure I'd be willing to take the risk involved with either - I've gotten a huge amount of independence back and am unwilling to risk losing that if either procedure didn't go as planned.
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

24. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Hope you’re doing well, Jill. Great ressource, thanks.