Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Two tunes in three days! You are pushing the bar even higher for yourself here, Jill. Lovely playing again.
    Cheers John - so far been able to keep the pace up - may get a bit more challenging at the end of June as there's a slight chance that I'll be heading home to Ireland for a few weeks. Won't have the mandolin with me, but will have a banjo so it and dodgy phone video footage may have to stand in for the mandolin and the nice video camera for awhile!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Cheers John - so far been able to keep the pace up - may get a bit more challenging at the end of June as there's a slight chance that I'll be heading home to Ireland for a few weeks. Won't have the mandolin with me, but will have a banjo so it and dodgy phone video footage may have to stand in for the mandolin and the nice video camera for awhile!
    But I bet you will manage to get something posted. The Irish air, if not the Guinness, will inspire you!
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

3. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Week 23 of the Tune A Week project, had to do a Paddy Fahey (RIP) tune after the sad news this week - a reel for ye, "Paddy Fahey's No. 14":

1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

I was watching your thumb, in the video, it seems there is a fair amount of thumb and possibly forefinger movement in using the pick. Is it the vid or do you use your fingers a lot to move the pick? I have been trying not to use my thumb and finger. It seems to me it is always said to use the wrist. I think since I have started using less finger movement and more wrist things have slowed down a lot. Just curious I am starting to wonder if there is no right way but the way that works best for each individual. Thanks!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Cheers Brian - it's the folks who do Tune-A-Day projects like Fergal Scahill that I'm in awe of! Way too daunting for me to even think about that!
    A tune a day is currently beyond my comprehension a tune a week is incredible. I haven’t even need able to get to a tune a month, yet! I hope it gets better as wrists and finger loosen up and my brain starts remembering!

At the end of your tune a week we should have a giant vote for our favorite one done over the course of your posts. I don’t know about anyone else but I would be curious to see what are some of the favorites. Out of all the ones you have allocated so far so you have a favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    I was watching your thumb, in the video, it seems there is a fair amount of thumb and possibly forefinger movement in using the pick. Is it the vid or do you use your fingers a lot to move the pick? I have been trying not to use my thumb and finger. It seems to me it is always said to use the wrist. I think since I have started using less finger movement and more wrist things have slowed down a lot. Just curious I am starting to wonder if there is no right way but the way that works best for each individual. Thanks!
    I think the thumb movement would be some of my tenor banjo technique overlapping here - it's something I'm actually trying to eliminate from my mandolin playing but it's proving difficult since the tenor banjo is my primary instrument. I definitely wouldn't be emulating it!
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

9. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

A tune a day is currently beyond my comprehension a tune a week is incredible. I haven’t even need able to get to a tune a month, yet! I hope it gets better as wrists and finger loosen up and my brain starts remembering!

At the end of your tune a week we should have a giant vote for our favorite one done over the course of your posts. I don’t know about anyone else but I would be curious to see what are some of the favorites. Out of all the ones you have allocated so far so you have a favorite?
    Difficult to choose a favourite amongst them, but I definitely love the two jigs by the Kane sisters "Three Deer and a Hare" and Pangur Ban" - from the moment I heard those tunes I wanted to learn them so the Tune a Week was a great motivator for me to finally get around to doing so!
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

11. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

I liked Creeping Docken, The Maple Leaf, and Paddy O'Brien's hornpipe the best of the first page.
    And onto the second I agree Three Deer and a Hare, is great, and I liked Fowley's Mazurka, and and and, I can't just pick one.
    I hope you put up a download of all these at the end of your posts. I drive a lot it would make a nice playlist.

Thanks!

13. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

Week 24's tune: a reel called "Paddy Kelly's", learnt off of Peter Carberry's album "Traditional Irish Music from Co. Longford":

1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

Very nice again and it sounds like a fun tune as well. Which brings me to another question or two.

We all have our favorite songs but do you find any of these so far more fun to play than the others?

Do you have any original, created by Jill songs to share?

Thanks!

Very nice again and it sounds like a fun tune as well. Which brings me to another question or two.

We all have our favorite songs but do you find any of these so far more fun to play than the others?

Do you have any original, created by Jill songs to share?

Thanks!
    Thanks for the kind words John. I definitely find this one to be a fun tune to play. I think all the tunes I've posted for this project are fun to play - that's one of the things that draws me to them. I'll usually have one particular tune in my repertoire that I particularly favour, but then another one will cycle in to take it's place. Paddy Kelly's had definitely been on the favourite list since learning it.

No original Jill tunes yet but that's definitely something I want to try my hand at - maybe that will be next year's project, though I might need to space it out to an Original Tune a Month or Original Tune a Season (Winter/Spring/Summer/Fall) - definitely wouldn't be able to keep up a Tune a Week pace for that!
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

18. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Another fine rendition, Jill. Such clean playing, but still you get something of you into the tunes.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

20. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Week 25 for the Tune A Week Project - a lovely four part jig called "Kit O'Mahoney's", but I only played it once through because I wasn't quite confident of getting through all four parts again without making a mistake!

1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

Yet another little gem, Jill. Those triplet ornaments are so beautifully played. I agree with you about 4-parters - we have that with so many of our Scottish pipe marches where it is so easy to mix the parts around - and this from an instrument that only has a range of nine notes!

24. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Week 25 for the Tune A Week Project - a lovely four part jig called "Kit O'Mahoney's", but I only played it once through because I wasn't quite confident of getting through all four parts again without making a mistake!
    Another nice tune...but I wouldn't look at it as making a mistake - you're improvising!

Thanks for posting...
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

26. The following members say thank you to wildpikr for this post:

Jill McAuley: “...but I only played it once through because I wasn't quite confident of getting through all four parts again without making a mistake!”

-no problem, you play it through once, I play the vid through four times.

Week 26 - halfway thru the year, just another 26 weeks to go! Here's a short and sweet jig for ye, "The Stolen Purse":

1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

Harley Marty

Nice! & I enjoyed hearing it on the banjo. What's the greater challenge knowing the tunes or knowing the names of the tunes?

31. The following members say thank you to Harley Marty for this post:

Thumbs up Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

I have actually been watching to see when you posted next. Thanks again! I find myself looking forward to these vid posts. For me it’s like when I was a kid and had to wait for the next episode of some show on tv that came on once a week! I will honestly miss this if you stop at 52. What would be cool and just a thought but hearing you go through all of these a second year. I am curious how or if they would change and for some hearing all the parts through.

33. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Marty View Post
    Nice! & I enjoyed hearing it on the banjo. What's the greater challenge knowing the tunes or knowing the names of the tunes?
    I either remember the tune but forget the name of it or remember the name of it but forget the tune!
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I have actually been watching to see when you posted next. Thanks again! I find myself looking forward to these vid posts. For me it’s like when I was a kid and had to wait for the next episode of some show on tv that came on once a week! I will honestly miss this if you stop at 52. What would be cool and just a thought but hearing you go through all of these a second year. I am curious how or if they would change and for some hearing all the parts through.
    Cheers John! I'm actually off home to Ireland for a quick visit for a couple of weeks this day next week, may have the banjo with me so will try to keep posting, otherwise I may have to post a glut of "catch up tunes when I get back from my trip! Should be able to squeeze in the tune for Week 27 before I go though!
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

36. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Harley Marty

Cheers John! I'm actually off home to Ireland for a quick visit for a couple of weeks this day next week, may have the banjo with me so will try to keep posting, otherwise I may have to post a glut of "catch up tunes when I get back from my trip! Should be able to squeeze in the tune for Week 27 before I go though!
    If you're passing through Mullingar you most welcome to use my 16" scale mandolin. I'm through to the Leinster fleadh on Mandolin but I don't think I'll compete in it as I'm through in 10 categories (Tenor banjo, mandolin, button accordion, flute, tin whistle, fiddle, mouth organ, saxophone, newly composed tunes & story telling). I can leave it behind the bar at one of the local pubs & you can drop it in on your way back.

38. The following members say thank you to Harley Marty for this post:

Safe travels Jill!

40. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Marty View Post
    If you're passing through Mullingar you most welcome to use my 16" scale mandolin. I'm through to the Leinster fleadh on Mandolin but I don't think I'll compete in it as I'm through in 10 categories (Tenor banjo, mandolin, button accordion, flute, tin whistle, fiddle, mouth organ, saxophone, newly composed tunes & story telling). I can leave it behind the bar at one of the local pubs & you can drop it in on your way back.
    Cheers! I may take you up on that! Best of luck at the Leinster fleadh!
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

You are amazing Jill ! I wish I had half your ability !

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yankees1 For This Useful Post: