Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Results 176 to 198 of 198

Thread: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

  1. #176
    Registered User Jill McAuley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA or forgotten East Galway, take your pick.
    Posts
    2,847

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Late with Tune 41 because I've had a poxy cold, so combining it and Tune 42 in the same post - Tune 41 is a reel called "John Brennan's":



    And Tune 42 is short and sweet, a jig called "Jig in A", learnt from Angelina Carberry years ago. I was only able to get through the A and B parts once because they were testing the fire alarms in by building just as I went to record this tune - that means that every minute the alarms sounded for a solid hour!

    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 Ome Juniper 19 fret open back tenor banjo
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    1969 Martin 00-18




    my Youtube channel
    Blog: rural.trad.punk

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:


  3. #177
    Registered User John Bertotti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    2,868

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    You did great not a singel sniffle!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

    Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

  4. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:


  5. #178
    Registered User Jill McAuley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA or forgotten East Galway, take your pick.
    Posts
    2,847

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Here's the Tune for Week 43, a reel called "The Thrush in the Storm":

    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 Ome Juniper 19 fret open back tenor banjo
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    1969 Martin 00-18




    my Youtube channel
    Blog: rural.trad.punk

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:


  7. #179
    Registered User John Bertotti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    2,868

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Very nice I found it particularly relaxing! Thanks!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

    Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

  8. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:


  9. #180
    Registered User John Kelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ardnadam, Argyll, Scotland
    Posts
    1,470

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Great playing, Jill. So, only 9 more weeks and tunes to complete your year! It has been a fantastic project and effort on your part.

    Now, what do you follow it up with?
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

  10. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:


  11. #181
    Registered User Jill McAuley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA or forgotten East Galway, take your pick.
    Posts
    2,847

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Great playing, Jill. So, only 9 more weeks and tunes to complete your year! It has been a fantastic project and effort on your part.

    Now, what do you follow it up with?
    Cheers John! I'm chuffed that I've managed to stay the course with the project! As to what to follow it up with, I amn't sure, though I'll probably have to focus all my attention on getting my organic farm/farm animal sanctuary off the ground in 2020, if, fingers crossed, we finally close on the property in the next few weeks! Once I've got the time I may embark on a Tune-A-Month project, with all 12 tunes being original compositions.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 Ome Juniper 19 fret open back tenor banjo
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    1969 Martin 00-18




    my Youtube channel
    Blog: rural.trad.punk

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:


  13. #182
    Registered User John Bertotti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    2,868

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Cheers John! I'm chuffed that I've managed to stay the course with the project! As to what to follow it up with, I amn't sure, though I'll probably have to focus all my attention on getting my organic farm/farm animal sanctuary off the ground in 2020, if, fingers crossed, we finally close on the property in the next few weeks! Once I've got the time I may embark on a Tune-A-Month project, with all 12 tunes being original compositions.
    Now those are fine goals worthy of pursuing! Farms critters and music go hand in hand!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

    Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

  14. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:


  15. #183
    Registered User wildpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    654

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Have to agree with John...may your diligence reap reward!
    Mike

    Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

    No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

  16. The following members say thank you to wildpikr for this post:


  17. #184
    Registered User Jill McAuley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA or forgotten East Galway, take your pick.
    Posts
    2,847

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Week 44 of the Tune A Week Project - perfect timing as it's Halloween I've chosen "The Haunted House" a great jig by Vincent Broderick, ghostly lights on the headstock aren't the result of an apparition, it's just the reflection of the vivarium that houses 7 small tree frogs that's right across from me!:

    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 Ome Juniper 19 fret open back tenor banjo
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    1969 Martin 00-18




    my Youtube channel
    Blog: rural.trad.punk

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:


  19. #185
    Registered User John Bertotti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    2,868

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Keeping in mind I'm the guy on the outside looking in. I love this one but Haunted House, seems like a worng name to me. When I listened to it I coudl visualize a shepard wandering aorund with his flcok over the hills, literaly this is what comes to my mind. I have no idea how this soung could be related to a haunted house. Nevertheless great tune I loved it!

    Maybe you could get your future critters to follow you around while playing this one!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

    Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

  20. #186
    Registered User Jill McAuley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA or forgotten East Galway, take your pick.
    Posts
    2,847

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Here's what I found on thesession.org about the tune's background:

    "Young lads, Vincent & Peter were out on the bicycle one late night, returning from playing out, when they heard music. Naturally they came to a stop. They were attracted to the sound and searched for it, coming to a large house all lit up and folks could be seen dancing through the windows, all gussied up and in their finery. The two of them paused for awhile to listen and watch the goings on, but they were tired and eventually made their way home. The next day, curious, and not remembering such a place on the way before, a road well travelled by them, they returned. All they could find were ruins, a grand house long gone to ruin.

    This tune came on them, so really, there’s almost no claim to it except by those ghosts…"
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 Ome Juniper 19 fret open back tenor banjo
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    1969 Martin 00-18




    my Youtube channel
    Blog: rural.trad.punk

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:


  22. #187
    Registered User John Bertotti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    2,868

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Wow great story! That would make a great Halloween show! Thanks
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

    Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

  23. #188
    Registered User Jill McAuley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA or forgotten East Galway, take your pick.
    Posts
    2,847

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Here's the tune for Week 45 - a great Finbarr Dwyer reel called "The Holly Bush":

    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 Ome Juniper 19 fret open back tenor banjo
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    1969 Martin 00-18




    my Youtube channel
    Blog: rural.trad.punk

  24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:


  25. #189
    Registered User wildpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    654

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Another gem, Jill. Just curious, are you already familiar with these tunes or are you actually learning a new one each week before posting? Whatever the case, they are well executed at a nice toe-tapping tempo...thanks!
    Mike

    Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

    No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wildpikr For This Useful Post:


  27. #190
    Registered User John Bertotti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    2,868

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Love it! In a previous post, we discussed your thumb movement. I was curious how it would work out so I have tried it a few times and found it is oddly quickly reactive for instance I think it helps pull off those triplets you have mastered. I am going to play with it a bit more and see what happens. I also have found it tends to help with timing a bit because it is always on a downstroke. I am not good at triplets but here how it seems to have worked out. I perceive that on the first downstroke it lets me react into the move quicker and lets me put a bit more resistance, grip, on the pick for the up and subsequent downstroke. Rather than losing my pick in the strings as has happened before. Yes Yes I have dropped my pick between the strings before then spent a minute fishing it out of the Oval hole, everyone feel free to laugh now because my 2-year-old at the time thought it was funny and started coming over and asking for my pick only to shove it into the oval hole and laugh while I worked on fishing it out. And as any nutty dad would do I laughed with him and gave it to him when he asked again. I digress sorry.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

    Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

  28. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:


  29. #191
    Registered User Jill McAuley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA or forgotten East Galway, take your pick.
    Posts
    2,847

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Quote Originally Posted by wildpikr View Post
    Another gem, Jill. Just curious, are you already familiar with these tunes or are you actually learning a new one each week before posting? Whatever the case, they are well executed at a nice toe-tapping tempo...thanks!
    The bulk of these tunes are new ones I've learned with a few here and there being tunes I learned ages ago (like 11 years ago) that dropped off my radar and haven't been played since then - this tune would be in the latter category!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 Ome Juniper 19 fret open back tenor banjo
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    1969 Martin 00-18




    my Youtube channel
    Blog: rural.trad.punk

  30. #192
    Registered User Jill McAuley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA or forgotten East Galway, take your pick.
    Posts
    2,847

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    Love it! In a previous post, we discussed your thumb movement. I was curious how it would work out so I have tried it a few times and found it is oddly quickly reactive for instance I think it helps pull off those triplets you have mastered. I am going to play with it a bit more and see what happens. I also have found it tends to help with timing a bit because it is always on a downstroke. I am not good at triplets but here how it seems to have worked out. I perceive that on the first downstroke it lets me react into the move quicker and lets me put a bit more resistance, grip, on the pick for the up and subsequent downstroke. Rather than losing my pick in the strings as has happened before. Yes Yes I have dropped my pick between the strings before then spent a minute fishing it out of the Oval hole, everyone feel free to laugh now because my 2-year-old at the time thought it was funny and started coming over and asking for my pick only to shove it into the oval hole and laugh while I worked on fishing it out. And as any nutty dad would do I laughed with him and gave it to him when he asked again. I digress sorry.
    Interesting that it's working for you! I was unaware that I did it at all until Marla Fibish pointed it out to me at a lesson years ago. I've been self-conscious about it ever since, but find it really difficult to try to eliminate that thumb movement from my playing, so at this stage I've kind of resigned meself to it and figure if it isn't impeding my playing then it's all good.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 Ome Juniper 19 fret open back tenor banjo
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    1969 Martin 00-18




    my Youtube channel
    Blog: rural.trad.punk

  31. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:


  32. #193
    Harley Marty
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Mullingar Co Westmeath Ireland
    Posts
    120

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Interesting that it's working for you! I was unaware that I did it at all until Marla Fibish pointed it out to me at a lesson years ago. I've been self-conscious about it ever since, but find it really difficult to try to eliminate that thumb movement from my playing, so at this stage I've kind of resigned meself to it and figure if it isn't impeding my playing then it's all good.
    In Ireland I see lots of players that use that flexible thumb picking style particularly banjo players & nearly all of them are great players! I think it comes from starting off picking tunes rather than starting off strumming chords, plus a bit of the 'monkey see monkey do'. Initial learning remains totally ingrained! Keep up the good work Jill

  33. The following members say thank you to Harley Marty for this post:


  34. #194
    Registered User Jill McAuley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA or forgotten East Galway, take your pick.
    Posts
    2,847

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Harley Marty View Post
    In Ireland I see lots of players that use that flexible thumb picking style particularly banjo players & nearly all of them are great players! I think it comes from starting off picking tunes rather than starting off strumming chords, plus a bit of the 'monkey see monkey do'. Initial learning remains totally ingrained! Keep up the good work Jill
    Cheers Marty!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 Ome Juniper 19 fret open back tenor banjo
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    1969 Martin 00-18




    my Youtube channel
    Blog: rural.trad.punk

  35. #195
    Registered User Jill McAuley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA or forgotten East Galway, take your pick.
    Posts
    2,847

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Week 46 (only 6 tunes left!) - a great reel, "The Bird in the Bush"

    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 Ome Juniper 19 fret open back tenor banjo
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    1969 Martin 00-18




    my Youtube channel
    Blog: rural.trad.punk

  36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:


  37. #196
    Registered User wildpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    654

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Looks like you were burning the midnight oil on this one!

    Nice tune and thanks for taking the time to post.
    Mike

    Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

    No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

  38. The following members say thank you to wildpikr for this post:


  39. #197
    Registered User Charles E.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saint Augustine Beach FL
    Posts
    4,417

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Week 46 (only 6 tunes left!) - a great reel, "The Bird in the Bush"

    Very nicley played Jill!,
    Is the next tune going to be " Worth two in the hand"?
    Charley

    A bunch of stuff with four strings

  40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:


  41. #198
    Registered User Randi Gormley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    3,071

    Default Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

    Fiddler I know plays Dowd's Number 9 and then Bird in the Bush as a set. Nicely done!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

  42. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •