Thread: SE Voodoo VR2 Active Ribbon Mic

Default SE Voodoo VR2 Active Ribbon Mic

Here's a sample of my Heiden A5 recorded using the SE VR2 Active Ribbon mic. It's my new favorite mic for recording mandolin. Recording chain SE VR2>Apogee One>iPad running Auria recording at 24/44.1. No EQ or other processing.

Mic was about 16-18" from the mando, pointed at my picking hand. According to the Maestro software controlling the Apogee One, the gain was 38db.

The SE is a small microphone nowhere near the size of the RCA ribbon mics. I don't care for the shock mount it comes with. I got this one used off of Reverb. So far it wins against any condenser mic I've had. It has plenty of high end but still smooth. It seems to handle transients nicely. See what you think.

It was 10 below this morning so I played Cold Frosty Morning.

2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Default Re: SE Voodoo VR2 Active Ribbon Mic

I have the VR1 and use it quite a bit. Very good sound for a relatively inexpensive ribbon mic. However, you really should hear the Royer SF12. FAR and away my favorite mandolin mic.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Default Re: SE Voodoo VR2 Active Ribbon Mic

Nice Don! I've had my eye on those for a while, they are good mics. Good find.
    Scott R.
    -
    2019 Ellis F5 Special #464 - Facebook Build
    2017 Pava A5 Pro - Autumn Burst
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Want to list your instruments with galleries in your signature?
    Check out RuttList Instrument Archive to create your own galleries for free.