Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I upgrade to a better instrument

Default Should I upgrade to a better instrument

I've been playing for about 3 years and having lots of fun. I've also played guitar for many years.

I'm wondering if my current instrument may be holding me back. It seems to be a mid-level Kentucky, but I can't read the handwritten model number inside (picture attached).

I had it set up when I bought it (used) and that made it more playable. It sounds pretty good most of the time. I've received occasional compliments on my playing and the sound of the instrument. I still feel like I'm struggling to get the tone and volume that I want (playing bluegrass and folk). The mando might benefit from some additional setup.

I played an Eastman 515 in a shop a few month back and it sounded great. It really barked when I hit those chop chords.

My dilemma:

Additional, professional setup, for the Kentucky and be without it for a week or more? I practice daily and jam with others several time a week.

Get that Eastman, or something similar. Am I worthy of $1000+ instrument? Will it inspire me to take my playing to the next level?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kentucky-mando.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	286.2 KB 
ID:	173777  

Default Re: Should I upgrade to a better instrument

Go for it ! You don't have to be worthy to upgrade as long as you can afford it and not taking food off the table for your family !

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yankees1 For This Useful Post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well … There is no replacement for practice and good technique. Yet I can say a better instrument encourages you while it helps make you sound better. So save your money and play all the different mandolin makers and models. Proceed with patience and caution, you will be rewarded. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

You're asking the wrong crowd here. It's always nice to have two instruments anyway, one as a backup for when the other is in the shop for a setup or you break a string mid-performance and so forth. If you can't really weather the expense financially though then I'd say just get a better setup on the Kentucky.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Seter View Post
    ... It's always nice to have two instruments anyway, one as a backup for when the other is in the shop for a setup or you break a string mid-performance and so forth. If you can't really weather the expense financially though then I'd say just get a better setup on the Kentucky.
    That is good advice. I have several guitars. I probably should have a backup mandolin

I’m with UsuallyPicken, try several. If the Eastman is the one, go for it. (I have 4) My favorite is a flat fret board “D” shaped neck. Not the sharp “V” neck shape.

Any chance you can get a picture of the product label? Maybe someone here can interpret it.
    The Loar LM-220 VS

Dave Sheets

Before you buy, make a pilgrimage to one of the bigger shops that has a lot of mandolins and play a range of instruments, so you have a sense of what is out there. You may want to wait, save a bit, and step up a bit farther into the Weber/Flatiron/Collings range, which will hold you a bit longer till the next upgrade urge strikes again .
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

12. The following members say thank you to Dave Sheets for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gfury View Post
    My dilemma:

Additional, professional setup, for the Kentucky and be without it for a week or more? I practice daily and jam with others several time a week.

Get that Eastman, or something similar. Am I worthy of $1000+ instrument? Will it inspire me to take my playing to the next level?
    In my opinion, if it is an instrument you enjoy playing, as you do, having a less expensive but very usable backup instrument is important. So yes to both questions... Get the Kentucky setup as well as possible. AND get the $1000+ instrument.

You've been playing for 3 years and you are doing good things with your mandolin. It isn't a question of your worthiness, it's a question of whether the investment will be worth while for you. If you're asking these questions, and if you can afford the answers, then the answer is yes, you are ready for them both.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

And notice that the classified here have a lot of real nice selections in the $1k-$2k range. As Dhergert says above, it'll be worth holding off and saving up for.

And yeah, get your instrument set up. A few days off never hurt anyone (except maybe Pablo Casals).

As others have said if you can afford it go for it. But, I’m not sure how much of an upgrade the Eastman will be from a “mid-range Kentucky”. The Eastman is a great instrument and if it sings to you it may be right but you may be better waiting a while, saving some more money and making a bigger step upwards. I’ve learned the hard (read expensive) way that small steps are not the best course of action.

Can you get a more experienced player to have a look and see what they think about your current instruments’s set up? And get out and play more instruments. As I said the Eastman is great but you may find something you like better; I was planning to buy an Eastman a year ago but played other instruments in my search and ended up with something different.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OneChordTrick For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OneChordTrick View Post
    As others have said if you can afford it go for it. But, I’m not sure how much of an upgrade the Eastman will be from a “mid-range Kentucky”. The Eastman is a great instrument and if it sings to you it may be right but you may be better waiting a while, saving some more money and making a bigger step upwards. I’ve learned the hard (read expensive) way that small steps are not the best course of action.

Can you get a more experienced player to have a look and see what they think about your current instruments’s set up? And get out and play more instruments. As I said the Eastman is great but you may find something you like better; I was planning to buy an Eastman a year ago but played other instruments in my search and ended up with something different.
    Agree with 1ChordTrick, I recommend saving up for an American made A style mando, Weber, Gibson A9, or Collings MT. If it were me, i'd save up for the MT. Have fun

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

I will try to get a picture of the Kentucky label tonight when I get home. I say it's a mid-range model, because I paid $230 for it (used with hard-shell case) and the guy I bought it from said he paid quite a bit more.

Since I am new, all I can do is say this: I hope that in 3 years of daily practice I am good enough to justify a better instrument. It is my dream. So, if it were me, I would upgrade in a heart beat, but I would get the best instrument I could afford at the time.
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

I'd say yes, if you can afford it, do it. As you said 1000+, expand that budget as much as you can and buy a nice used A style mandolin. Take your time, play as many models as you can, and get one that speaks to you.

I don't think a mid range Eastman is much of an upgrade to your current mandolin.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

As you're finding, folks here will definitely encourage you to buy more mandolins!

Unfortunately the range of selections and prices can be VERY overwhelming, and trying to find physical mandolins to play (versus just reading various opinions about those mandolins or second-guessing what a YouTube video demo might actually mean, when factoring in microphone used, recorder, recording space ,etc.) is frustrating for most of us.

I do totally agree that anyone at all serious about mandolin should have a backup mandolin. One thing to consider for a second mandolin is not necessarily a step up, but perhaps another style of mandolin for a different voice. You have an A body with f-holes. You might try an A body with an oval hole. The Kentucky KM-272 was getting lots of good buzz during the holidays. You could also try a flattop mandolin. Northfield's new Calhoun is getting good reviews and is an under-$1000 mandolin. https://www.northfieldinstruments.com/thecalhoun/
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/c...de-Instruments

Over the last 8 years, I've been through several Kentucky's (all decent, playable instruments) and currently have an Eastman MD505 and just added an Eastman MD315. That gives me an A body and an F body, both with good setups. My next choice in a year or three will likely be either a significant step-up (probably $2k to $3k range) or a round-hole model for the different voice. So many choices!

The main thing, though, is that your mandolin should be set up to be the best that it can be, and you shouldn't let the world of available mandolins divert you too much from your learning and playing!
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

If you enjoying mandolin, you do not need ability to justify a nice instrument. The I'm not worthy argument is hogwash.

I'm against incremental upgrades. I've played enough Eastman 315s to take a liking to them. People even like them over a 515 or higher. Same with Kentuckys, but they have a tantalizing option in the master series, 900 and above. If you can't see ever affording more than $1k, I'd look into these(used).

As others have said, the Weber, Northfield, Collings, Flatiron level is where things get really good. If you need a scroll good luck finding anything less than $2500. Nice As can be had for $1500.

But nothing will catapult your abilities like a fine instrument, not because of the instrument but the fact you will play more.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Set your budget and play as many mandolins as you can in your price range. Don't be afraid of playing instruments that sell new for more than your $. If you like them, keep an eye open for them used.
    Where do you live? Maybe some cafe folks in your area have mandolins you can try. Or perhaps a shop nearby.

The more instruments you play, the more you can hear the nuances that a good mandolin can provide over a lesser instrument. Price does not always guarantee a better instrument. Find something that says "play me" to you and then play it!

If you find something that speaks to you, and you can afford it, go for it.

If you are practicing daily and jamming a couple of times a week you are definitely worthy. Good advice from everyone.

I followed a similar trajectory based more upon finances that worthiness or lack thereof. I call it the "Christmas Club" method where I put away $100 per month for future instrument purchases. Started with low end Kentucky, and saved $1000 and bought an Eastman 515.

Continued to put money away, went through tough times, and had to use savings, then started again. Three years later I had enough to get into the $3000 range where, as others have mentioned, things really kick up a notch. The Pava I bought was such a joy to play that I got better in spite of my thumb fingeredness. I did have to relearn some things you couldn't hear on the Eastman that you definitely could on the Pava.

After that I invested in a years lessons with a reputable teacher with my "Christmas Club" money which was one of the best upgrades I could have made. Now saving again. In about 3 years I might get an Ellis A or a Pava F, but I don't needto upgrade. I'm pretty happy with the Pava.

I don't know if instruments "hold us back", but our ears definitely get better the longer we play.

Greg, that's an intriguing looking mandolin. I've never seen a Kentucky A-style with the full Florida other than the KM-900 and 950. Saga, the parent company, seems to change specs like a runway model changes clothes, though. If I had to guess, I'd say yours was made in Japan (possibly Korea). I'd also guess it was a higher-end model, possibly one that was made only for a short time. Can you post a photo of the fuzzy label?

If you're not satisfied with it, then I vote for an upgrade. If you come back and tell us your budget, you'll get plenty of suggestions on how to spend your money.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I suggest taking your mandolin with you to try out other mandolins, I have one that I love the sound of , it plays great, but if I pick it up after I play my J Bovier, it sounds weak, thin and quite. I played an Eastman 315 in a store almost bought it Loved the sound, for some reason I didn't, but went back a few days later with my J Bovier and the J Bovier was so much better i didn't buy it
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Quote Originally Posted by Eric F. View Post
    Greg, that's an intriguing looking mandolin. I've never seen a Kentucky A-style with the full Florida other than the KM-900 and 950. Saga, the parent company, seems to change specs like a runway model changes clothes, though. If I had to guess, I'd say yours was made in Japan (possibly Korea). I'd also guess it was a higher-end model, possibly one that was made only for a short time. Can you post a photo of the fuzzy label?
    Exactly. I've searched around and cannot find another Kentucky A-style that looks like it and has the Florida extension.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

get it set up.

You don't need a better instrument - you want a different instrument. We all (typically) want more!

I know for a FACT, buying instruments is much easier than learning to play them. Learn to play the one you have - don't forget the setup; however!

I've owned so many mandolins I lost track. Maybe like 40 or so? In the end, the winners are the mandolins with the stories. The old Gibson that's been everywhere. My Cohen - after all Dave's a buddy and he makes great mandolins too!

I've owned an Ellis, Phoenix, Brentrup, etc. High(ish) end stuff. Didn't keep a one! They are nice, but don't play themselves. Actually, it's quite sobering to realize you are the limitation!

So, I completely endorse buying stuff. "Should" you upgrade? No clue! You'll still be practicing and having the same problems; however. . .

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A