Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Received my frist mandolin, now what?

Default Received my frist mandolin, now what?

I have my frist mandolin. The only musical back ground I have is self taught blue harmonica. So where do I start? Learn cords? Play scales? Learn strumming? My goal is to be able to sit in on a beginner jam this time next year. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Received my frist mandolin, now what?

Well, I was able to get to a point where I can use mind as backup while I’m singing. Question will be is that what you need?

Strumming chords to guide tempo and tone is a useful skill, but that depends on if you can sing, or want to play background for someone else.

That said, it’s also going to depend on how many hours a week you can put into it. It took me about 4 months to get into a reasonable comfort zone for chord strumming, with a good chunk of songs I could play.

Sorry to say all 3. Learn to chop if you’re a grasser like myself.
    Knowing scales will enable you to improvise.
    It’s a wonderful journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric "Trapper" G View Post
    I have my frist mandolin. The only musical back ground I have is self taught blue harmonica. So where do I start? Learn cords? Play scales? Learn strumming? My goal is to be able to sit in on a beginner jam this time next year. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Mandolessons.com is free and I am learning a lot, there.
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DocT For This Useful Post:

Now you get sore fingers, frustration and loads of fun. Just mess around with it, learn some basic chords and try to pick out a simple melody that you know in your head. If you stick with it, it will come and you'll be jammin' before you know it. Good luck.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Denny Gies For This Useful Post:

Make sure that it’s set up properly. That will make all the good advice above easier to achieve!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OneChordTrick For This Useful Post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

1. Learn both open and closed position scales and arpeggios. Two three and four finger chords all work in the appropriate place learn and use them all.
    2. Take lessons from a mandolin player / teacher not someone that just teaches mandolin. It will save time on relearning good technique later.
    3. Get a 1.2mm or thicker pick. Dual courses of short strings need a bit of mass to move them. Opinions on this vary.
    4. Keep a loose wrist and fingers. If you don't drop the pick occasionally you are gripping it too tight. Watch a video of Tim O'Brien.
    5. Hold your pick at 90' to the side of your thumb.
    6. Do a lot of active ,with mandolin in hand, and passive, while doing other things , listening to mandolin players.
    7. Learn fiddle tunes. Then learn to play them in odd keys. Not to befuddle your picking buds but to really learn the fingerboard.
    8. Find a jam to play with folks. It's the best way to dive in to playing.
    9. Start practicing tremolo and crosspicking early on. Right hand control is crucial to tone production as well as keeping your play interesting.
    10. If you don't already know basic music theory then learn it. It will help you evolve as a mandolinist and as a musician. Know what keys and chords work together arpeggios and scale construction etc.
    11. Change your instruments strings every few months.
    12. Get Rob Meldrum's mandolin setup download here on The Café. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DocT View Post
    Mandolessons.com is free and I am learning a lot, there.
    A great site ! Even though it's free I do donate ! I highly recommend this instructional website !

Following~great advice

===========

For my 2-cents . . . the best advice I can give is to START SLOW and HAVE FUN!

In short - yes, eventually you will probably want to learn all of the chords, scales, arpeggios, techniques, etc., but there is no need to feel like you must lean it all, right away.

I would suggest perhaps getting started by picking out a couple of simple songs that you would like to be able to play, and run with it from there. In my early days I found it very satisfying to be able to actually sit down and 'play a song' . . . that is what gave me the confidence and drive to keep learning all of the other aforementioned stuff; (chords, scales, arpeggios, techniques, etc.). I have seen too many people try to do too much, too soon - and they eventually get lost and frustrated, and never learn to play. DON'T fall into that trap.

Play, learn, enjoy and keep us posted.

I picked two songs to learn (besides Cindy!!!): Poncho and Lefty and Dirty Old Town. It is a lot of fun. I am still not too swift at changing to a couple of chords, but most of it is coming along nicely.

Stretching to get A Major and Minor (4 strings, not two) and F is a challenge for these old fingers, but it is getting easier day by day. Some alternate versions of these chords are easier to play and sound better in some songs. I just keep banging away and driving my wife crazy with the noise. That makes it more fun.
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

===========

Quote Originally Posted by DocT View Post
    I just keep banging away and driving my wife crazy with the noise. That makes it more fun.

Whew - I am glad to see that I am not the only one who has done that . . .

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    For my 2-cents . . . the best advice I can give is to START SLOW and HAVE FUN!
    Absolutely!

I may be old-school (besides just, ya know, old) but here's how I would have started slow had it been around 10 or 12 years ago...
    https://www.amazon.com/Mandolin-Dumm...in+for+dummies
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Thank you for all the replies. In 5 days I've managed to learn; 5 cords, a man's hand is not ment to play an E cord, have sore fingers,
    holding on to that dang pick isn't easy, and I may have started one of the biggest challenges in recent year. I'm determined to learn to play this thing and to learn to play it well. Have pity on my wife and dog.

Make sure your mandolin has been set up properly. Email me at rob.meldrum@gmail.com and put Mandolin Setup in the subject line.

It's free and easily worth the price! :-)

Rob

Like that pain in the butt teacher that insisted on perfection, later you'll look back fondly on your metronome.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Eric "Trapper" G View Post
    Thank you for all the replies. In 5 days I've managed to learn; 5 cords, a man's hand is not ment to play an E cord, have sore fingers,
    holding on to that dang pick isn't easy, and I may have started one of the biggest challenges in recent year. I'm determined to learn to play this thing and to learn to play it well. Have pity on my wife and dog.
    Best tip for a beginner I can give is to not fret so hard. You will be surprised how little pressure it takes to play a note. But that is the rub, you will need a well setup instrument, some finger strength, and experience to get to that point. So do your best, don't worry if the notes aren't clear or buzz for now. That will improve over time as you work on your accuracy and figuring out how to navigate around the fretboard. 4 years after the start of my musical journey with the mandolin, I still struggle with fretting too hard when playing tunes at tempo.

Less is more sometimes, learn a three finger or even two finger E chord. Less grip on the pick, don't worry if the pick jumps out, see how much you can relax the grip on the pick and still maintain control. Learn the correct way to hold a pick, don't pinch it. Same with the left hand, make sure you are not holding the neck in a death grip, relax that hand. Again, use little to no pressure with the thumb/index finger to allow your finger tips to fret and move along the neck. Apply what you have learned about the harmonica to the mandolin. I imagine you don't crush the harmonica in your grip, nor do you need to mash the instrument against your lips in order to sound a note.

Enjoy the journey!
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

I learned the basics by watching you tube. Take some of it with a grain of salt. Search around and find what works for you. After I got comfortable with it I found someone that was willing to take me on as a student. It was real important that the lessons were informal and relaxed. Practice is key, and the lessons help prevent bad habits. I may also recommend that after awhile you search out others with similar skills to play with.

Mandolessons.com

There are a couple of series there for those who have never played a string instrument before, and lessons all the way through to advanced players. It's the best way I know of to start. Worked great for me.

Keep at it--btu take breaks.
    Read this thread
    Have fun
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Blog Entries

have fun and keep us posted on how it's going
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Survival Chords Mandolin.pdf   pauls_popular_picking_list_may_2010.pdf  

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Leonard View Post
    Best tip for a beginner I can give is to not fret so hard.
    +1
    Easier said than done but easier done then undone!!

The lessons from Brad Laird are a great place to start (mostly for bluegrass style of playing). Best of luck, and I agree, a well set-up instrument is key.

http://www.bradleylaird.com/playthemandolin/index.html
    Jim D

Several posters have recommended Mandolessons.com. I agree that is a great place to start.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff