Thread: Flatiron Archive

Default Flatiron Archive

So I'm working on setting up archives for small builders, and have been so far adding instruments owned by friends and acquaintances. I know there are a lot of Flatiron fans here on the cafe, so when I run across a new flatiron to add to the site I'll post it here for you all to check out if that's ok.

Flatiron Mandolins - F5 Master 1987 [View On RuttList]
    Scott R.
    -
    2019 Ellis F5 Special #464 - Facebook Build
    2017 Pava A5 Pro - Autumn Burst
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Want to list your instruments with galleries in your signature?
    Check out RuttList Instrument Archive to create your own galleries for free.

2. The following members say thank you to Scott R for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Flatiron Archive

That is a nice one. Good work on the site. I like all the photos.

There was a guy who had started a Flatiron archive/list but I will have to search for it.

The Carlson signed Bozemans are something special. A few of them showed up in Atlanta in the mid80s but they don’t show up for sale often because you have to pry them out of the owner’s cold, dead hands. Me included.

4. The following members say thank you to bradlaird for this post:

Brad, I'm glad you enjoy the photos! It was fatt-dad here on the forum who started the idea of a Flatiron archive, but he never got it off the ground.

Could I talk you into taking some nice photos of yours to add to the site?
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Scott R: I will send you pics of my 1983 A5-2 when I get home. BTW you have misspelled Bozeman.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I have a Carlson-signed mandolin made in Bozeman,Montana;but it says Gibson on the headstock. It's the one
    mandolin(out of dozens I have owned) that I would never consider selling.

Just wondering how many "Gibson" mandos are Carlson-signed? Other than the 200 Monroe models.

So now that we are talking about Flatirons--can anybody here talk with any authority on the finish level of the Master, Artist, Performer, Festival mandolins so I can document it correctly in the archive?

And I just found this page thanks to Brad Laird that has a copy of the flatiron brochures with specs!

http://www.bradleylaird.com/blog-art...tiron-bro.html
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

11. The following members say thank you to gtani7 for this post:

Oops, click this link instead. It is an Artist, not a master.. and I can't seem to edit my post.

If an admin sees this, feel free to delete this post and copy/paste the listing below.

Flatiron Mandolins - F5 Artist 1987 [View On RuttList]

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the additional history--I may end up doing a short story/profile on these instruments on Ruttlist, so all the info I can get would be appreciated!
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Jim made good on his promise, and what pictures they are!

Flatiron Mandolins - A5-2 1983 [View On RuttList]
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

And another one that used to belong to Russ Jordan here in the forum:

Flatiron Mandolins - A5 Artist 1992 [View On RuttList]
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    Jim made good on his promise, and what pictures they are!
    Flatiron Mandolins - A5-2 1983 [View On RuttList]
    That was one time I was in the right place at the right time. I was playing in the NY Mandolin Orchestra and a band or two so I was playing lots of mandolin. My A2 needed fretwork and I realized that I only owned one mandolin. I checked in and found that Mandolin Brothers had two of the very new Flatiron A5s. At that point (1983) they did not make any F models. MBros had an A5-1 and an A5-2. They both sounded great but I decided to go with the A5-2 which was much fancier. I have never regretted it and for quite a while was my main band instrument. It is still in the rotation though all my other mandolins are oval holes, it fits the bill when i need more of a bluegrassy sound.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1