Thread: Flatwounds on a Tenor

Default Flatwounds on a Tenor

Having recently acquired a tenor guitar I now begin the string experimentation stage of ownership. Tuning for this guitar is GDAE and it is built for that. Currently I have PB 13-45 strings and they sound great. But out of curiosity I'm considering a set of flatwound strings if I can find them. So I'm asking for suggestions and opinions.

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: Flatwounds on a Tenor

Please keep us informed if you can find a suitable set.... there has been some post in the past but I think it will be a personal preference as opinions seem to be mixed.
    What guitar do you have?

You can buy flatwound singles. Daddario chromes for electric guitar.
    http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dchflwoelsis.html
    They are Ball end.
    You don't state the scale length of your instrument, so it's not possible to make recommendations on gauges.
    You can also buy sets from emando.com
    http://emando.com/shop/strings8va.htm
    Sounds like the medium set would be closest to your current gauges. $34 for 8 strings, so you'll have a spare on every string on tenor

Scale length is 23". And I would be looking in the realm of 13-46, 47, or 48. I like the 13 because it tunes from E to D fairly easily.
    Thanks colorado_al for the tip about emando. Before I throw out too much $$$$ I would like to hear from players who have tried them. My guitar is made by Adam Buchwald.

Sure thing. I use the emando.com medium flats on my Blueridge tenor & octave Mando. 22.9" scale. Like them a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Sure thing. I use the emando.com medium flats on my Blueridge tenor & octave Mando. 22.9" scale. Like them a lot!
    What gauges are you using on your Blueridge?

Quote Originally Posted by dorenac View Post
    What gauges are you using on your Blueridge?
    emando.com medium flats

Quote Originally Posted by dorenac View Post
    Scale length is 23". And I would be looking in the realm of 13-46, 47, or 48. I like the 13 because it tunes from E to D fairly easily.
    Thanks colorado_al for the tip about emando. Before I throw out too much $$$$ I would like to hear from players who have tried them. My guitar is made by Adam Buchwald.
    The Herb Taylor tenor that I used to have was shipped with flat wound strings on it. Herb used flat wound electric guitar strings and it sounded quite nice with them. I had initially thought I'd switch them out but ended up keeping them on. Very smooth sounding, though I did sometimes miss the "rasp" of wound strings.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I have the D'addario chrome singles on my 22 3/4" scale OM, currently 14 24 32 45. Like them a lot. I have used the emando medium flatwound OM strings that colorado al posted about, I liked them also. The singles seems very similar to the emando set and are a bit less expensive, though the ball ends are a pain to remove. As I have an Allen tailpiece on my OM and it can take ball ends, I may stick with the singles and experiment with the gauges till I settle on a set. Not sure I want to stick with the 24 on the A string, it is considerably higher in tension than the others, though it does sound good. The 13 on the E string was a bit weak on my OM.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III