Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resisting the "Iron Maiden"

Default Re: Resisting the "Iron Maiden"

I use a metronome, daily. It has really helped with banjo rolls, and, generally gaining accuracy and speed.

Simply, its a discipline of listening.
    There are days, often caffeinated, that slowing to the click is a real effort. And that, is, the value.
    Focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    The problem I have practicing with a metronome is it slows down on the easy part and speeds up on the hard parts.
    That is actually hilarious!!! I’ve noticed the same thing playing with bands.

A couple metronome tips that have helped me quite a bit in the last few months:

Practice at slow, medium and fast tempos. Say you are comfortable with a passage or tune at 80 clicks but want to get it up to 120, practice with the metronome set to 80 and work progressively in both directions--e.g. 80, 90, 70, 100, 60, 120. Working at 60 bpm is just as important 100 if you want to get to 120.

For duple metered music (much bluegrass, reels, fiddle tunes) Learn to hear the metronome as beats 2 and 4 instead of 1 and 3. Or if you are doing clicks on all four beats in common time, hear the click as the and of each beat. I find this really helps with developing your feel alongside tempo and rhythmic accuracy.
    Eastman MD505 mandolin
    Santa Cruz 1929 0 Custom Georgia Peach guitar
    Oscar Teller classical guitar
    Oscar Schmidt OB5 banjo
    Peavey Patriot electric guitar

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by G7MOF View Post
    I thought the iron maiden is a torture and execution device, consisting of an iron cabinet with a hinged front and spike-covered interior, sufficiently tall to enclose a human being.
    Quite right. Well, that and some sort of a band from years past, heavy metal, I think. Somehow, they've gotten her confused with the Evil Gnome.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

There's no reason not to use a metronome. Aside from the free apps on your phone, simply search "Online Metronome" and you'll get a simple no frills metronome from Google.

One thing I like to do with the metronome is take beats out. Rather than getting a click on 1 2 3 4, remove a beat (like 2) and see if you keep time. Remove everything but the 1 and see if you keep time etc. That really helps to internalize the beat IMO. For some of it, you'd need a metronome fancy enough to cut a beat (i.e. removing beat 2 only) but others you just need to change how to count (i.e. removing all beats but the 1).
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ivory View Post
    The "Iron Maiden" is the term I ascribe to the common metronome.

It's completely without feelings, deadly accurate and is always willing to point out your deficiencies. Still, its the best device I've found for getting my timing a bit better when it slips, even after all these years of playing.

Most people will resist it when I suggest just a few minutes a day of practice with it and I just don't know why. . . .
    Here's why: Because the dern things keep speeding up and slowing down on me! It's easier to just follow what the other players are doing.

I confess that I do practice with a 'nome sometimes. But I hate it, hate it, hate it!

I really enjoy practicing with the strum machine website. Not as harsh as a lone metronome but it gets you familiar playing with steady perfect rhythm

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

For all the fans of bill and Ted ‘s excellent adventure

Inquisitor: take them to the iron maiden

Bill and Ted : Excellent!

Inquisitor: kill them

Bill and Ted: bogus!
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;