Thread: Don't give up on that repair...

Default Don't give up on that repair...

Attachment 173683 A while ago, a friend came to me with a repair request. It wasn't a mando, but he was desperate for any help. His wife's concert grade violin had been crushed and was told it was unrepairable. He brought it to me and it was pretty bad. I've done some mandolin repairs, but thought this was well above my skill level. We took his pocket knife and was able to pop off the back to see the inside. It was really bad. The neck was separated with a part of the back broken off at the heel. The back had two separate cracks, one running from above the center cutouts all the way to the end block. But the top was the worst. There were seven splits and an entire piece broken off on the base side upper bout. To add more, there had been a repair done to a three inch crack many years ago. But it was cleted and all held very well. All of the damage was left in the hard case, all of the splinters were there except for a pin head size piece that was under the bridge. That was the only spruce that had to be replaced.
    Not being into that kind of music, I told them that I would try, but that I know nothing about violins and their setup. And, there could be no promise of restoring the sound or that the thing might just cave in when done. Even if it was to end up a wall hanger, they wanted me to try.....
    Long story short, after a couple of weeks I got it all put back together. I was fearful of putting any finish on it but they insisted. A bluegrass player would have been proud of those war scars. But we are talking about long hair music. So they took it to a professional and had it set up with a new bridge and strings...
    So just before Christmas, I was treated to a concert with some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard. This instrument was over 200 years old and sounded so sweet. Just to think of all of the people over the years that this violin has brought enjoyment to. It was worth every second of work to also see the smiles on their faces. She has several other instruments besides this but this one was her favorite...…...
    kterry

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to buckhorn For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Don't give up on that repair...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3357.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	519.9 KB 
ID:	173684
    kterry

Name:	100_3363.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	433.7 KB 
ID:	173685
    kterry

Name:	100_3397.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	603.2 KB 
ID:	173686 after the repair and before finish..
    kterry

Well done Keith! I have done a few repairs and renovations on violins but none like you have done there. What a wonderful xmas present for the guy that had the violin crushed. I get so sad when I see instruments that have had accidents like this one.
    Nic Gellie

Blog Entries

Hey Keith that is just awesome! What a great job!! I notice that you have an attachment in your OP but it does not seem to open. Is there more detail in that document?

In any case, more blow by blow details on this repair would be fun to read?

On the re-finish I know that the fiddle repair people have developed all kinds of tricks over the centuries that allow them to completely cover damages. It would surely be great to see this repaired violin after the re-finishing effort?

PS what kind of glue did you use for the repair?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I call that patina. Instant street cred. Why cover it?

I'm serious. Point of pride you put it together. Well done.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Thanks everyone for the support. I don't have photos of the finished instrument thu. I tried to keep as close to original as I could with all of the repair, hoping that I could bring it back to some of its' old glory. The violin repair people put a lot of value in that. I used hide glue in all of the reconstruction. I knew that I would never match the original formula, but wanted to be close. The coloring used was alcohol based, darkened as I went along. The sealer was nitro lacquer and that was my biggest concern. When the owner gave my wife and I our own little concert, that was the true reward. The sound was truly wonderful, and really did bring tears to my eyes. Since the repair, she has played it in two different concerts and several different church programs. It's still bringing joy to people all around. I think I would have left it as-is to show off its' life scars with no more then sealer to protect, but it all came out for the best. Thank you LORD for giving me the ability and the opportunity ……...
    kterry

10. The following members say thank you to buckhorn for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks Terry!!

Just wondering how does she compare the sound with before the damage?

BTW what the heck caused it? Did the case and violin get backed over by a car?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

I should send you my 2 ancient fiddles! They be needing some serious help, one is a Maggini copy. maybe a really good one? as the body is killer but the neck is an obvious replacement! The other is a mid to late 1800's Stainer copy-a very high arch on that one.