Thread: Interface to connect DPA microphone XLR to Ipad or PC Laptop

Default Interface to connect DPA microphone XLR to Ipad or PC Laptop

I'm interested in recording through my DPA 4099 clip on Microphone.
    I'll need an interface with Phantom power to connect to either my Ipad pro to Garageband
    and/or Laptop.
    Recommendations for user friendly software and hardware would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Barry

Blog Entries

Default Re: Interface to connect DPA microphone XLR to Ipad or PC Laptop

I think this would be a good solution without getting too complicated. Inline converter from Shure, includes phantom power for a hundred bucks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shure preamp.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	173679

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-X2U-XLR...usb+mic+preamp

Might have to get one for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Canada View Post
    I'm interested in recording through my DPA 4099 clip on Microphone.
    I'll need an interface with Phantom power to connect to either my Ipad pro to Garageband
    and/or Laptop.
    Recommendations for user friendly software and hardware would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Barry
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

3. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

Fine for a MAC but I’m not sure if that would work with an iPad.

5. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

This looks like it would work with a newer (Lightning interface) iPad, and USB output to a PC/MAC too:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ios-mac-and-pc

At that price, and with a battery power option, it won't be the world's cleanest-sounding mic preamp. And I'm not sure how much preamp gain it has, although with the 4099 close to the instrument it may not need a lot. If you're just looking for a quick 'n dirty solution, this might be it. A higher-end solution would be a "real" mic pre/interface with a line output, into whatever the iPad uses these days to get a line input into the system.

7. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Thanks for the quick responses!
    I would like to be able to connect a couple of other inputs as well; maybe up to 4 tracks?
    Probably another Microphone and a guitarist!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Canada View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses!
    I would like to be able to connect a couple of other inputs as well; maybe up to 4 tracks?
    Probably another Microphone and a guitarist!
    Okay, now you're moving the goal posts.

You're at a dividing point here, between a good 4-channel standalone recorder and a good 4-channel audio interface for a computer. Here's what the first option looks like. It's easier to use and less hassle than recording directly to an iPad or laptop. Then you just pop out the flash card and load the audio files into a computer for mixing. I used the previous version for field recordings, it's a very good bang-for-buck:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...field-recorder

The beauty of that rig is that you can take it anywhere that the acoustics are good, hook up your mics, and roll. Much less fussy than recording onto a computer.*

Here's one good option for direct computer recording with 4 mic channels:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-scarlett-18i8

I don't think that can record direct into an iPad, the iPad isn't really set up for multi-channel recording. I may be wrong about that, I'm not an iPad expert and maybe someone else will chime in here about that. Typically, you would hook this up directly to a laptop or desktop computer and use something like the inexpensive Reaper audio software to record and mix your tracks.

*Edit to add: For capturing a "live" performance a field recorder is ideal. However, it's not good for overdubs (multi-tracking from the same instrument or vocals). For that, you'd want the computer preamp/interface. There are standalone "porta studios" that can do multi-track overdubs, but by the time you get to 4 or more full mic preamp inputs I think they're overpriced, and a computer interface is far more flexible.
    Last edited by foldedpath; Dec-29-2018 at 8:21pm.

10. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Foldedpath is right: the iPad can only record two tracks at once.
    I use and recommend the Focusrite itrack solo, can be used as a normal USB interface or (with the lightning cable) as a iPad interface. Rock solid, not too large and it sounds good.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_...VuIn0%3D&glp=1

12. The following members say thank you to pit lenz for this post:

The iPad is not limited to 2 tracks. It IS limited to 24 tracks. http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

I recorded 8 tracks at once through a Scarlett 18i20 in Auria without one hiccup. Live show sets an hour long--no problems. Billyhawks CD below was recorded in Auria on the iPad--8 tracks at once, harmonies overdubbed later, etc. Auria is the Reaper of the iPad--great DAW.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

14. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Oops Don,
    I was‘t aware of that and stand corrected.

There are a lot of options here. I'll add one more to the mix - the Yamaha AG series mixers and audio interfaces. Audio quality on these is astounding for the price point. 24 bit 192 kHz sampling rate and an extremely clean mic pre with phantom power. They come with a free download of a basic version of Cubase (not my first choice of DAW but a good solid and well-supported program).
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

17. The following members say thank you to lukmanohnz for this post:

+1 for the Scarlett it’s what I use.
    " Practice every time you get a chance." - Bill Monroe

It needs the camera dongle with power
    " Practice every time you get a chance." - Bill Monroe

Blog Entries

Yes... the powering options for iPad interfaces can get pretty clunky...
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

If you have a Mac, you can have a nifty home studio with a MOTU Track 16, a digital mixer that comes with recording software. If you need more than two XLR inputs, you'll have to get a four or eight channel pre connected to the Track 16 via FireWire. You can then record up to 16 channels. You can also use mixer line outputs for two more discrete inputs.

Everything can be controlled by your computer.

Might be more than you think you need, but this recording thing can snowball.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Well I finally made the move and purchased a Yamaha AG06. I found 1 used! It was recommended by lukmanohnz (Thank You for your help and suggestion)
    I downloaded the Steinberg Cubase software. If you purchase a unit like this you must make sure the software was not registered by the previous owner. If it was there will be a fee to transfer the licensing of the software to the new owner. Fortunately the unit I purchased was used with another software DAW. This gave me direct access to the Cubase download. I did have minor issues with the download but Steinberg’s software support was great (NFI). I purchased the camera connection/lightening adapter for my iPad Pro which integrates easily with GarageBand. I am now up and running both Cubase and Garageband on my PC computer and ipad respectively. Today’s technology is just incredible. Next step is to become more comfortable with the software interface.
    I Thank you all for your helpful input!

There are now whole tablet based mixers..... like Mackie mixers
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Sounds like OP is all set, but for anyone else reading....

I have been messing around with iPad/iPhone recording... first for a Podcast, and now doing some music stuff.

Most any class compliant audio interface will work. It does not need to be IOS specific. The key is powering it via USB (if there is no other option). In this case, you can use a powered USB hub, or there are some power supplies that go inline on a lightning cable. My Focusrite Scarlett (non ios version) works this way.

Foldedpath mentioned the irig Pro i/o. Just happens that I picked one up this past weekend. I needed a small, light option (carry on bag). It doesnt feel like the highest quality piece of gear in your hand, but the audio quality is fine.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

+1 on on this comment, and others above.
    It always will come down to bang for your buck, mixed with a healthy dose of what your goal is. Software, and the associated learning curve can take valuable practice time away. Then mix downs, punch ins, etc. (assuming you are recording for other than practice purposes) add to the gear (and bank account) list.
    Unless you are completely set on using that machine, other options might be a better choice, again, based on needs.
    I run an old Korg D3200, and its learning curve is ( who really masters all of the capabilities of decent mixer/DAWs) perpetual it seems. In my instance its really age related. My ability, wrapped around the want to of course, to learn new 'gadgetry' is not what it once was. So, it really comes down to personal preference, like most other gear. I know semi pro bands who record practice sessions with a 2 channel handheld zoom recorder. If its really specific features you are after, there is an associated price.
    The proverbial, save your pennies and buy it just once rather than settling for good enough is true with both instruments and gear, no patronizing tone intended.