Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thomastiks on a Collings MT?

Default Re: Thomastiks on a Collings MT?

Bumping up an old thread with an update.

I had every intention of putting some TIs on my MT for the last few years, but it seems like every time I needed strings I was in a bind and bought some locally, or just wasn't willing to drop the $50 at the time on a set of TIs. I finally decided to go for it.

My mandolin was due for a string-change this week so at last, though it's five years later, I finally have a set of TI stark/heavies on my mandolin. And though I didn't want to absolutely love a $50 set of strings, I do believe I've been converted.

The last set of strings I had on were EJ74s, the standard for almost everyone it seems. They are great strings, USA-made (that's still "a thing" for me), they are priced right, and I can get them locally when I'm in a bind. But I've never loved them. They are too heavy/stiff for me, and the brassy overtones never truly settle down on my mandolin.

I can see why BG players love them, but I'm not a BG player.

I've played many other phosphor bronze wound strings over the years, and while I like many of them much better than EJ74s, they all have the big brassy overtones by nature, and I feel like I end up hearing the sound of the strings more than the sound of the wood of my mandolin.

At any rate, since the EJ74s were the last thing I had on, it was a very stark (yes, a pun) contrast to when I put on the TI heavies.

I like everything about the TIs more than I do the EJ74s: rather than the big brassy tones, there is a mellower and softer "voice" to my mandolin now - much more nuanced and complex. But it's the FEEL that I am really enjoying. No more wrestling with bar chords and phrases that require big stretches. My mandolin is set up well with low action, but all the while I've always felt I had to fight with it when playing traditional medium strings. I immediately noticed a considerable drop in tension with the TIs and the mandolin is much easier and more enjoyable to play now. As soon as I got it strung up I went straight into the more complex pieces that always end up fatiguing my fret hand, but they were a breeze.

I think the reason some feel that they lose volume with flatwound strings is that the initial ring/zing from the wound bronze is gone. It does seem a bit quieter with the TIs, but the more you listen the more you hear the nuance in place of the old ring of the bronze. Granted, in a big jam situation that can help you be heard, but I don't play in jam sessions but at home for my own amusement.

I didn't do any setup/nut adjustment work with the TIs. I have to say the bit of green wrapping on the end of the strings is a very cool touch. Once you insert the string into the machine head, this little wrapping grips and holds the string in place while you wrap (see pic). The Collings tailpiece makes string-changing an absolute nightmare, but the little green wrapping feature made it a bit easier.

If these strings last six months or so, the price difference won't be all that much more than regular strings.

At any rate, I hope this review was helpful to anyone on the fence about investing in a set of TIs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8971.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	205850  

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Bumping up an old thread with an update.

At any rate, I hope this review was helpful to anyone on the fence about investing in a set of TIs.
    I have been a fan of TIs for years. And I DO play bluegrass. I have them on all my mandos -- even my electrics -- except for my oval-hole F copy, where the Daddario's still shine. And I also prefer the Daddarios to the TIs for my 'cello (oval-hole Eastman).

I get at least six months out of my TIs. Daddario's will last me about six weeks. If you like the feel of the flatwounds, you might want to try a set of the Daddario flatwound sets available at e-mando.com. They "feel" like the TIs, although they sound a bit different.

4. The following members say thank you to meow-n-dolin for this post:

[QUOTE=Caleb;1894146].........just wasn't willing to drop the $50 at the time on a set of TIs......

I pay around $75 per string for Thomastics on my bass!
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

[QUOTE=j. condino;1894202]
    .........just wasn't willing to drop the $50 at the time on a set of TIs......

I pay around $75 per string for Thomastics on my bass!
    Aren't you making money with that bass? And don't those strings last a long time? Asking for a friend
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

$75 a string makes me glad I don't play bass! But then again, with how long they last, I suppose it's somewhat relative. I've known bass players that never change their strings. But to me, the joy of a new set of strings is one of the most wonderful parts of being a musician. The other day I put a new set of strings on my electric guitar and it felt like I'd got a whole new instrument. It really is great fun.

I recently realized (i.e. - just this week) that Thomastik also makes guitar strings. I'm not sure why I never bothered finding this out before. I'm thinking of trying a set for my acoustic guitar sometime this year. Has anyone tried them?

I have not used Thomastik on acoustic for a long time. So can't comment. Did have a set on my electric. Flatwound. Got me a great 1960's tone.

Eventually will spend the money on a set for one of my mandolins. Am thinking that my older Strad-O-Lin might sound cool with them. For now, I'm enjoying the D'Addario Nickel Bronze on the newer SOL. Good tone and volume.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Blog Entries

I recently realized (i.e. - just this week) that Thomastik also makes guitar strings. I'm not sure why I never bothered finding this out before. I'm thinking of trying a set for my acoustic guitar sometime this year. Has anyone tried them?
    Like the mandolin strings, the guitar strings are a bit different in sound but absolutely amazing. That is if they are the right gauge for the instrument. Meaning either too much vibration or too little related to the size and quality of build of the guitar. (Cheaper instruments usually need heavier gauge strings for example.)

I have some TI Classic "S" KR116 strings and always get compliments on the sound.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

10. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Caleb 

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    Like the mandolin strings, the guitar strings are a bit different in sound but absolutely amazing. That is if they are the right gauge for the instrument. Meaning either too much vibration or too little related to the size and quality of build of the guitar. (Cheaper instruments usually need heavier gauge strings for example.)

I have some TI Classic "S" KR116 strings and always get compliments on the sound.
    Thanks! I'm thinking seriously of some TIs on my next guitar string-change. I play a Larrivee dread and use John Pearse Lights which are 12-53. As you point out, their mandolin strings are a much different feel/tension and I know the guitar strings will be the same way. What do you recommend I get to be around the same tension as the JPs? I don't want the strings to go all floppy because they are too light.

Playing on the porch

I know you can find much less expensive strings, great strings, but I really prefer the Thomastik Infeld M154 on both my Ellis and my Eastman. I am not a BG player, and I do very little with chords, but I do play a lot every day, much of it what I used to play on violin. I do find the sound from the TIs to be excellent and for me, they do sing. All personal preference, but they are my favorites.
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

13. The following members say thank you to GMorgan for this post:

Caleb 

I’ve been playing the TIs for a bit now and have to say my mandolin is more enjoyable than ever. I wish I’d have made the switch years ago. It really is a completely different feel and playing experience. One benefit that I didn’t expect is how much nice the A course is with the TIs. The A always seemed wonky and never sounded quite in tune with regular strings, but the A course on the TIs has a really nice punch and just sounds a lot better to me.

15. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post: