Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion about Gibson F-5G and F-9 new iterations

Default Opinion about Gibson F-5G and F-9 new iterations

What are your opinions about the current issue of the F-9 and F-5G? They are more affordable than a lot of customs. Are they decent instruments? Would they be good as an upgrade from a cheaper instrument?

I have learned, reading on this forum, that Gibson went through some years where the mandolins were not so nice as far as sound quality goes.

What do you all think?
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Default Re: Opinion about Gibson F-5G and F-9 new iterations

The current gibson mandolins being built under the supervision of Dave Harvey are amazing. My dad has a 2007 F9 that is flat out awesome.
    '02 Gibson master model #70327 02-01-02
    '25 Gibson A-4 Snakehead #82626
    '06 Hicks #1 and #2 F-5 still not done

Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carleshicks For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I agree with Carleshicks! Gibson's under David are probably the best made! I'd say even better than the Derrington era? That's a bold statement that some may argue but in say 99-02 it was hit and miss but I had an 04 V-Fern that was awesome "the lightest mandolin I ever had and way responsive!" but I had to let it go unfortunately. But David I believe does check out and demo each mandolin built and when he came on board he resurrected some designs from the olden times like the Victorian, 7's,10's,12's, the 120th anniversary models and others not many know about-custom jobs, plus I heard he changed the varnish from what was used during the Derrington era? As the early V's were soft? And those newer V's are spectacular!

5. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

The 2015 F9 I played was a great sounding instrument. Had the Gibson chop in spades.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

7. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Blog Entries

I have nothing but the highest respect for David Harvey, his reputation is extremely high and many if not most recent buyers are reporting great happiness with their instruments... I also have nothing but the highest respect for the late Charlie Derrington.

I have an original 02 F-9 that I love; it plays and sounds great... Personally I really prefer most of the features of these early models. If I were to commission a new mandolin from Gibson now I'd order it with a lot of of the same original F-9 features as my 02 currently has -- most of these features are visual but I really like how simply elegant it looks:

Original satin Vintage Brown natural lacquer finish
    Black binding on body top, no binding on neck, back or peghead
    No inlay on the fingerboard, side dots present
    Only the "Gibson" script inlay on the peghead
    Only the "Gibson" script imprint on the tailpiece cover
    Ebony peghead overlay
    Ebony flat fingerboard with no Florida
    Ebony bridge

I believe there has been a "Vintage" version of the F-9 available recently from Gibson with some of these original F-9 features.

Things that I've added or have had added that I'd order for a new F-9:

an unbound ebony pickguard
    a rounded D neck profile instead of the standard V profile
    large "banjo-width" Gold Evo frets
    a French-polished speed neck if available

I do not believe I would ask for any tone related structural changes (tone bar bracing, tone chamber tuning, etc).

-- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I agree they are all nice and I'd take a Derrington and Harvey anything, David has worked on a few of my vintage Gibson's and the results were killer, beyond expectations! He has my odd ball 1934 "Joe Wilson" F-5 copy right now that is getting a much needed revamp!

11. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

I have a 2004 Derrington A9; not much to look at, but absolutely, flat-out, just plain kicks butt when it comes to sound?
    Thanks for your support?

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    I have nothing but the highest respect for David Harvey, his reputation is extremely high and many if not most recent buyers are reporting great happiness with their instruments... I also have nothing but the highest respect for the late Charlie Derrington.

I have an original 02 F-9 that I love; it plays and sounds great... Personally I really prefer most of the features of these early models. If I were to commission a new mandolin from Gibson now I'd order it with a lot of of the same original F-9 features as my 02 currently has -- most of these features are visual but I really like how simply elegant it looks:

Original satin Vintage Brown natural lacquer finish
    Black binding on body top, no binding on neck, back or peghead
    No inlay on the fingerboard, side dots present
    Only the "Gibson" script inlay on the peghead
    Only the "Gibson" script imprint on the tailpiece cover
    Ebony peghead overlay
    Ebony flat fingerboard with no Florida
    Ebony bridge

I believe there has been a "Vintage" version of the F-9 available recently from Gibson with some of these original F-9 features.

Things that I've added or have had added that I'd order for a new F-9:

an unbound ebony pickguard
    a rounded D neck profile instead of the standard V profile
    large "banjo-width" Gold Evo frets
    a French-polished speed neck if available

I do not believe I would ask for any tone related structural changes (tone bar bracing, tone chamber tuning, etc).
    That's a beauty, Don!

14. The following members say thank you to Kevin Winn for this post:

I have owned a 2002 F9 and a 2010 F5G. Both were great mandolins but I absolutely adored the F9 and its been one of my greatest regrets selling it. The F9 had a narrow nut which I did not realized I prefered. The F5G was my upgrade but it had a wide nut and I did not like that at all. From a playing and sound standpoint both were rock solid. I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy either again and probably will if the right deal comes along.
    2018 Ratliff R5 "Country Boy"
    Mid-MO Model OO
    2002 Gibson F9 with radius fretboard.

16. The following members say thank you to Pilot172000 for this post:

Thanks to all of you. I am not at the point of buying, but I am planning for the future when I get better. Gibson makes great guitars, but I have read on this forum that some years the mandolins were not up to what we would expect. They sure do look nice. They are not over done. I do not like gaudy instruments. Simple elegance is what I like.
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

18. The following members say thank you to DocT for this post:

I'd agree that the current Gibson mandolins being built under Dave Harvey's watchful eyes, are as good as any Gibson builds of the last 20 years. I've read nothing but good reviews of them on here. I'd love one of his 'Goldrush' models - for me,one of the most beautiful Gibson models ever made !.

Don - Your F-9 looks beautiful,but why didn't they give the end of the fingerboard just a tad more 'shape' ?. The dark finish along with the black binding looks very classy indeed - it also has my very favourite inlays (LOL !). A beautiful mandolin,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson F5 Goldrush.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	173672
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

dhergertHubs 

I've got the same model as in dhergert's picture, to me it looks pretty awful, it sounds amazing, plays easily, wonderful mandolin.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Hanson For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    ... ,but why didn't they give the end of the fingerboard just a tad more 'shape' ?. ...
    That's a good question that probably is only answered by the economics of the model... I suspect the straight cut was consistent with the relatively austere and pragmatic philosophy that inspired the F-9 at Gibson in 2002:

-- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

Don / Dave - I can easily imagine one of those sounding very good indeed. Re. the end shape - if they'd cut it off at a slight angle & rounded the point off,it would have looked better IMHO,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I LOVE my 2012 Harvey F5G. Its hard to believe that was almost 7 years ago now. I have played another 2012 that was as good as mine. But I haven't played any more recent. But you can listen to his new builds on his FB page as he demos them often. He is a great player too.

The only thing I would change on mine is the neck shape. Mine is thicker and more V than I would like. This isnt necessarily indicative of the model, just talking about mine. I wonder why builders and buyers dont put more emphasis on matching the buyers desired neck shape? To me now, that is the most important variable on whether or not an individual likes the play-ability. It took me many years to figure that out. Maybe thats just me, I dont know, but it seems to be universally under emphasized.

So I might take my mando back to Dave to reshape the neck. But then I wonder if I'm better off selling to someone with bigger hands that likes the deeper neck depth and then buying one with the neck profile that fits me? Hard to say. I do love the tone and setup otherwise.

For the money, and if you like the Gibson tone, I dont think you can beat the Harvey Gibsons coming out this decade. The earlier F9's were also great mandos but did not have fret markers so if that is important to you (it is to me), look for a later one. The later F5G's switched from ebony to rosewood fretboard so if that is important to you, get an earlier one (not a biggie to me).

Like anything, these are generalizations and there are sub par and exceptional individual instruments from any year so always best to play before buying if you can. But on average, Harvey era Gibsons are great mandos and actually a great value compared to many decades past. Now lets all hold our breath that Gibson's bankruptcy and corporate restructuring doesn't effect the great work that Harvey and his team have been building.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

26. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

I love that medium brown early F9 look. If you start making little changes to this and that, you end up with a more expensive mandolin. If you have to have the Gibson tone, a Gibson is a great way to get it.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

28. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post

I have an original 02 F-9 that I love; it plays and sounds great... Personally I really prefer most of the features of these early models. If I were to commission a new mandolin from Gibson now I'd order it with a lot of of the same original F-9 features as my 02 currently has -- most of these features are visual but I really like how simply elegant it looks

Don's mandolin is a beauty, however for most of us it's unplayable!

Come on Don, when are you going to stop using that wacky tuning so I can really check that thing out?...LOL!

See ya at the Great 48 Brotha!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    Don's mandolin is a beauty, however for most of us it's unplayable!

Come on Don, when are you going to stop using that wacky tuning so I can really check that thing out?...LOL!

See ya at the Great 48 Brotha!
    Looking forward to seeing you Nick!!! (I expect to be playing bass a lot!)

Btw, considering how many more banjo players there are than mandolin players, I would bet that there are more people who can play my mandolin than can play yours!!! (Well, at least in the USA.)

I know, "more banjo players" isn't a compliment...

P.S. Here is what Nick is referring to.
    Last edited by dhergert; Dec-30-2018 at 12:21am.
    -- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

California /Banjos !!. I've been drooling over this one for weeks now. It was in the Classifieds for ages but it looks like it might have been sold. A beautiful Gold Star copy of the Gibson 'Wreath' banjo that Ralph Stanley used to play - awesome !!. If only i was 7,000 miles closer,that would have sold on day 1 !!. It was for sale down in Ca.,
    Ivan

Name:	Gold Star Arch-top Banjo.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	470.4 KB 
ID:	173687
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

California /Banjos !!. I've been drooling over this one for weeks now. It was in the Classifieds for ages but it looks like it might have been sold. A beautiful Gold Star copy of the Gibson 'Wreath' banjo that Ralph Stanley used to play - awesome !!. If only i was 7,000 miles closer,that would have sold on day 1 !!. It was for sale down in Ca.,
    Ivan

Name:	Gold Star Arch-top Banjo.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	470.4 KB 
ID:	173687
    Traitor

Blog Entries

The recent ones I encountered were superb sounding mandolins. Even had a great set-up right out of the box. Sounded 'exactly like a Gibson should' in my opinion.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

36. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

From Astro - " Traitor" ???. Why ?. I proudly nailed my banjo flag to the Mandolin Cafe mast right from the begining. (LOL !)

Seriously - That Gold Star 'Wreath' banjo made my eyes pop !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

I love the F5G I have. 2016 Harvey. Got a fantastic price on it also. I was a showroom model they sold at a very nice used price.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

From Astro - " Traitor" ???. Why ?. I proudly nailed my banjo flag to the Mandolin Cafe mast right from the begining. (LOL !)

Seriously - That Gold Star 'Wreath' banjo made my eyes pop !,
    Ivan
    Just ribbing ya. I actually have a banjo too that I try to keep in the closet. Really wish I was young enough to get good on that thing. I play claw stammer. So much fun to bounce around on that right hand.

41. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Anyone know what these can be bought for? I know Gibson has rules as to what websites can do, but I'm put off by n F9 going for $5k.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1