Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinion about Gibson F-5G and F-9 new iterations

Blog Entries

Default Re: Opinion about Gibson F-5G and F-9 new iterations

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Anyone know what these can be bought for? I know Gibson has rules as to what websites can do, but I'm put off by n F9 going for $5k.
    There's a brand new one advertised here in the classifieds. I suspect $5K+ new is the neighborhood to expect.

Keep in mind that in 2002 when the F-9 was introduced, its "more affordable price" was about a grand less than the F-5G. I think you'll find that today's new F-5G prices have also increased proportionally.

At the same time, features on the F-9 have changed. Rosewood has replaced ebony, the fingerboard has inlays now, there is more labor involved with the finish now. There might be more manufacturer cost in making an F-9 now than there was in 2002.

Fwiw, I do think that the line between the F-9 and the F-5G has become more blurred since 2002.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Anyone know what these can be bought for? I know Gibson has rules as to what websites can do, but I'm put off by n F9 going for $5k.
    No worries then. They’re going for $5299.

https://themandolinstore.com/product...n-f9-mandolin/
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I stumbled upon an April 1, 2002 F9 "unicorn" a couple years ago, and scooped it up. I had no idea about the specifics, I just knew I wanted a real Gibson! When it arrived I was surprised to see it didn't look like other F9s, but holy cow does it sound amazing. It has a few badges of honor here and there, but that just adds to the wonderful character. I got it for a song, and wouldn't trade it - ever. The fact it has "The Gibson" and a flowerpot on the headstock - plus the April fool's day serial number makes me think it has some kind of crazy mojo I'll never see on any other mandolin.

Later on I had the chance to buy a David Harvey honeycomb F9, and it's a beauty as well!

Last year a local craigslist ad led to a 2004 A9 in near new condition for 700 bucks. Had been under a bed for 12 years. I was a pretty happy guy the day I came home with that one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0657.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	975.0 KB 
ID:	173932  

4. The following members say thank you to artguy for this post:

I have a 2021 F9. It’s fantastic. I can’t believe how much sound it puts out and how much depth there is to the tone. Kudos to Dave Harvey and the Gibson team! This is one of those instruments I’ll never sell or trade.