Thread: Finish chip on Weber... question???

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Default Finish chip on Weber... question???

The Christmas concerts are all through now and I was cleaning up my Weber Yellowstone and taking the LR Bragg's Radius off to put it away.

While removing the pickup a piece of finish chipped off (I wasn't being careful). Darn!

My question is... I dont mind the chip at all but should it be repaired so it doesn't chip away more? Or will things be ok as is?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181226_185335.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	464.3 KB 
ID:	173643

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181226_185344.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	422.9 KB 
ID:	173644
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

Default Re: Finish chip on Weber... question???

Yikes, didn't know that the putty could do that. I guess I'll be paranoid when I pull mine in the future. Is that a lacquer finish?
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Is it down to bare wood? If not probably best to leave it alone. If it is down to bare wood, Weber suggests just a little clear nail polish to protect the wood. But it might be better to have a luthier with experience do a drop fill with real lacquer. Many of them keep a jar of lacquer thickened by allowing some of the solvent to evaporate for just such a repair. Anything you do yourself has a huge potential to go south and make things unspeakably worse. Don’t ask me how I know that.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    Yikes, didn't know that the putty could do that. I guess I'll be paranoid when I pull mine in the future. Is that a lacquer finish?
    It wasn't from the putty but from the clear stickers provided. I've used them lots of times without any finish issues. This time while pulling the transducer off it rolled to one side and dug into the finish. I hope you have better luck.

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Is it down to bare wood? If not probably best to leave it alone. If it is down to bare wood, Weber suggests just a little clear nail polish to protect the wood. But it might be better to have a luthier with experience do a drop fill with real lacquer. Many of them keep a jar of lacquer thickened by allowing some of the solvent to evaporate for just such a repair. Anything you do yourself has a huge potential to go south and make things unspeakably worse. Don’t ask me how I know that.
    I don't believe that it's down to the wood but I'll be sure to check. My hope is to just leave it be but I'm worried that that could cause more finish to flake or chip off. Is that a possibility?

More likely than additional flaking or chipping would be becoming a starting point for a weather check crack in the lacquer. Think of it like when a stone hits your windshield and it chips. Sooner or later a crack will start because it’s a weak point. I have a tiny ding on front of one of my Webers and a small crack in the lacquer came radiating from it much later. I don’t think filling the chip would delay or prevent that. Once the weakness is there it’s there. Of course it may never happen. Being careful of temperature and humidity changes will help.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    More likely than additional flaking or chipping would be becoming a starting point for a weather check crack in the lacquer. Think of it like when a stone hits your windshield and it chips. Sooner or later a crack will start because it’s a weak point. I have a tiny ding on front of one of my Webers and a small crack in the lacquer came radiating from it much later. I don’t think filling the chip would delay or prevent that. Once the weakness is there it’s there. Of course it may never happen. Being careful of temperature and humidity changes will help.
    Ah, I see. That makes sense. Thank you.

I checked the damage once again and it is (thankfully) not chipped to the wood. My course of action will be to do nothing and hope for the best... I've always liked the "distressed" or "played in" look. It's just painful actually achieving it. Here's to more dings and nick's and scratches!

I've seen finish fixes much worse than that flawlessly finished. It's just a matter of someone knowing what they are doing, and paying for it.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    It wasn't from the putty but from the clear stickers provided. I've used them lots of times without any finish issues. This time while pulling the transducer off it rolled to one side and dug into the finish. I hope you have better luck.
    I thought the tape was for permanent installation?
    Like internally?
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Not sure about LR Baggs but that is the case with the K and K Twin Spot. Clear double sided tape is for internal installation. Instructions say it can be removed but you have to follow their instructions to do so and the adhesive is very aggressive. I would not use it on the outside finish. Lesson learned perhaps?

I had asked Bruce Weber about my 2 tiny dents and small lacquer check. He told me that to fix it like new he would want to completely refinish the top at a cost of approximately 1000 dollars. Needless to say I decided to live with these tiny flaws. But, theoretically, a professional could do a drop fill on that and make it look pretty invisible for a lot less. It’s a matter of finding someone with the knowledge and experience. I’m sure Bruce would have both, which is why I was puzzled as to why he wanted to go immediately to the nuclear option.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    I thought the tape was for permanent installation?
    Like internally?
    I received two types of stickers. A clear removable one and a white permanent one. I've used the clear ones about a half dozen times or so (on different mandolins) without any finish issues. This was definitely different and is making think I'll have try the putty next time I need to be amplified.

My 2001 Gallatin came to me about 6 years ago with a finish chip along the fingerboard edge. It hasn’t enlarged or changed in all that time. Looks like yours could be easily touched up if it bugs you, but I wouldn’t worry too much.
    Blow on, man.

The finish on my 11 year old Weber "Fern" is Polyurethane Lacquer. I was given that info.by Bruce Weber shortly after i'd bought it.
    So,firstly,i'd contact Bruce Weber,give him your mandolin details,& let him advise you regarding the finish. At least then you'll know 'exactly' what you're dealing with.

I have the tiniest speck of finish that's come off the top of my Weber. It's come off right where the front of the bridge foot used to sit - the indentations that sometimes occur. The bridge pressure has eventually flaked a tiny speck off the finish. However,in my case,because i re-set the bridge to where i like it to be when i do a set up,the tiny spot is just underneath the bridge foot & can't be seen. Knowing what the finish is,if at some future time,i decide to 'drop fill' the tiny dent,i'm set to go - as long as i can find a suitable Poly. lacquer. I will say that the tiny spot is SO small,that it might be hard to get any lacquer to stay in it,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    Zach, you are talking about this ding aren't you? If so I would say this -- if I had that mandolin here I am highly certain I could fix that for you so that you could hardly see it again. It looks to me like a dent with the finish still fully intact at the bottom of it?

Some might try to steam the dent out first but I would probably just drop fill it with lacquer, bring it flush with a single edged razor blade masked off with tape then polish it out. Very simple.

Others might have different ideas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weber dent2.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	173676  
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I will say that Bernie know 100% what he's talking about. He did a very similar 'repair' to the finish on one of his own mandolins not too long ago. However,Bernie's repair required that he add some colouring agent to the lacquer - which i can't remember the name of.
    I'd maybe have to do that on my own Weber as the tiny flake of finish is in a darker area,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    I will say that Bernie know 100% what he's talking about. He did a very similar 'repair' to the finish on one of his own mandolins not too long ago. However,Bernie's repair required that he add some colouring agent to the lacquer - which i can't remember the name of.
    I'd maybe have to do that on my own Weber as the tiny flake of finish is in a darker area,
    Ivan
    Yes Ivan the advantage that Zack has is that the original finish is still there just "pushed in a bit" -- so the repair is really pretty simple. In my case the actual finish was chipped out and I had to start working on bare spruce - see pic. He should not have to worry about any staining. BTW I used Trans-Tints for staining.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chip mag 11_2017.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	173704  
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

17. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

It's a bummer. If it was mine I'd say "bummer" and leave it alone, and not worry that it would spread or cause structural issues.

If the aesthetic flaw bothers you then I'm sure you can pay someone to make it all but invisible, some folks are very skilled that way.

My two cents.

Hi Bernie - The tiny chip on mine is like yours was. After being compressed by the edge of the bridge foot, the typical mark was made,then the tiny pice flaked off. As it is,it's underneath the bridge base & can't be seen,& it is so tiny,that it's hardly worth bothering with - but - i know it's there !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Hi Bernie - The tiny chip on mine is like yours was. After being compressed by the edge of the bridge foot, the typical mark was made,then the tiny pice flaked off. As it is,it's underneath the bridge base & can't be seen,& it is so tiny,that it's hardly worth bothering with - but - i know it's there !,
    Ivan
    I agree -- you know it's there!! A burr under the saddle.........
    Bernie
    ____

21. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

Hi Bernie - It's a bit like the old Fairy story about ''The Princess & The Pea''. No matter how much you try to cover it up,you always know it's there,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.