Thread: Gravity Pick Gold Series

Default Gravity Pick Gold Series

Just wondering what others thoughts were on these picks. I had been wanting to try one for a while so I added it to the top of my Christmas list and got one yesterday. I got the Gold Series Striker XL 1.5mm with a rounded bevel. I have to say that I'm not the least bit impressed with this pick. While I'm grateful for the gift, I'm very disappointed with the sound. The edge, while considered rounded (meaning it has no right or left bevel), has a very sharp edge and is extremely bright. I wasn't expecting it to be as bright as it is. However, the thing that is most disappointing is the inconsistency of the points. My biggest complaint about the acrylic picks was the points all had a different sound. On a triangular pick at least one point would be very scratchy sounding and noticeably brighter than the others. This Gold Series pick I got is the same. Two of the points are bright while the third point is very scratchy and unbearably bright. I think I might be done with expensive picks. Every pick that I have tried over $15 has been disappointing with the exception of Blue Chip.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gravity Pick Gold Sreries

I use them and really like them. My experience hasn't been like yours at all.

The shapes I've tried are Razer, Sunrise, and Standard. I haven't tried a Striker. This may be significant because I can understand that you'd expect all corners of a triangular pick with a rounded bevel to sound the same, which isn't the case with the less regular shapes that I've tried.

I see that you like the Blue Chip and find the Gravity too bright. My observations are similar but my conclusion is different: I get frustrated with the muffled sound of the Blue Chip and prefer the brighter sound of the Gravity. It's a matter of taste. The playability of the Blue Chip and Gravity are very similar in my experience.

In conclusion, I can't speak about the Striker shape, but I think you're making quite a big judgement based on this particular pick. My recommendation would be to get in touch with the people at Gravity, who in my experience are happy to respond to email. If your pick is faulty for any reason, I'm sure they'll replace it. If you just don't like the Striker, they may be able to suggest a different model.

3. The following members say thank you to Gelsenbury for this post:

Love me some Gravity picks, particularly the Big Mini 1.5. Perfect.

For a while on my pick quest I used the Gravity acrylic picks. I love the oval grip hole. I use 2.0 mm and thicker picks. The acrylics gave a very bright tone. I got one of the 2.5 mm gold gravity picks (cost more than a bluechip) but I agree they're really not all that. I just keep coming back to the Wegen M200 as the best all around pick for me over Gravity, Bluechip, everything by Dunlop, etc.

Adrian Minarovic

I tried acrylic picks almost two decades ago (I've made picks myself out of most any suitable material i've come across) and while they "sounded" promising, the durability is where tha material failed. You can polish it but it will eventually wear to gritty surface and any sharper edges will chip. While I'm not user of BC, the material is one of the most durable and will hold the polish and shape for many hours of hard picking, the brown primetones are close second (my go to pick as the sound is indistinguishable for the same shape of BC but the price is MUCH lower).
    Recently I've been given one of those black gravity picks (by customer who loves to try every new pick he finds and often gives me one or two from the package) in the shapeand thickness I prefer (smaller rounded triangle, 1.5mm thick) and the bevels were rough - looks like shaped with angle grinder. After I saw this thread I used my files, sandpapers and polishing compound to finish the edge. It plays nice while the edge is fresh and shiny but I fear it will show too many scratches after one long jam with lotsa chopping action...
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Gelsenbury View Post
    I use them and really like them. My experience hasn't been like yours at all.

The shapes I've tried are Razer, Sunrise, and Standard. I haven't tried a Striker. This may be significant because I can understand that you'd expect all corners of a triangular pick with a rounded bevel to sound the same, which isn't the case with the less regular shapes that I've tried.

I see that you like the Blue Chip and find the Gravity too bright. My observations are similar but my conclusion is different: I get frustrated with the muffled sound of the Blue Chip and prefer the brighter sound of the Gravity. It's a matter of taste. The playability of the Blue Chip and Gravity are very similar in my experience.

In conclusion, I can't speak about the Striker shape, but I think you're making quite a big judgement based on this particular pick. My recommendation would be to get in touch with the people at Gravity, who in my experience are happy to respond to email. If your pick is faulty for any reason, I'm sure they'll replace it. If you just don't like the Striker, they may be able to suggest a different model.
    Are your comments referring to the Gold Series or Gravity Picks in general? I have tried several of the acrylic picks and didn’t like any of those. I was hoping these would be different.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Tried them all--always go back to BC !

9. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    Are your comments referring to the Gold Series or Gravity Picks in general? I have tried several of the acrylic picks and didn’t like any of those. I was hoping these would be different.
    Well, I have tried many of their acrylic picks and many of the Gold Series. But I was referring to the Gold Series because that's what your post mentioned. The two ranges are very different. It may be the case that you don't like either, or that neither is a good fit for your mandolin. But it may also be the case that you have a faulty product, or that another shape or thickness would work better for you. As I said, the people at Gravity have always seemed helpful to me, so it may be worth talking to them.

Default Re: Gravity Pick Gold Series

Personally - I think that Acrylic 'plastics' are basically pretty poor as pick materials. Back when i was the senior production engineer in our ''Plastics' dept. at work,i had access to several specifications of Acrylic plastics. Myself & one of my colleagues,also a guitarist,made many picks from the various types, & none of them sounded good on our acoustic guitars.

To our ears,they sounded 'scratchy' & thin toned. IMO - the material is 'hard' (brittle) rather than 'tough' as per say,the Primetone picks that i currently use. I'd never buy an Acrylic pick myself - but obvioulsy,they do work for some folk on their instruments,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

You are obviously entitled to your opinion about acrylic, but I thought it worth pointing out that the Gold Series picks to which the original poster refers are not acrylic picks. Gravity does acrylic picks as well as the Gold Series. They are different ranges and different materials. I don't know what plastic is used for the Gold Series, but it feels more like the Blue Chip material than the acrylic picks.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gelsenbury For This Useful Post:

Ah Ha!
    Here's a chance to put in a good word for Eric and the EML picks he hand makes.
    Priced like a BC, the one I'm using is really nice. It is a three point, beveled edge Resin pick he made to my specs and I seem to be favoring it over the BC. Might be infatuation, we'll see. So far it hasn't worn at all after much playing

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Since you’re bringing up EML in this thread, I’m going to guess that the gold series and EML’s PEEK series are similar.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Quote Originally Posted by ColdBeerGoCubs View Post
    Since you’re bringing up EML in this thread, I’m going to guess that the gold series and EML’s PEEK series are similar.
    Not at all!...Gravity Golds are very similar to Dunlop Delrin 500 picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelsenbury View Post
    This is the shape, size and thickness I have used for years, so it is definitely a fair comparison. This is the only Gold Series I have tried but have tried many of the acrylic type in several varieties. I found the inconsistency in virtually every one of them. I was hoping the Gold Series would be different. Mainly it was just too bright.

Adrian Minarovic

The gold series appear to be made out of PEEK plastic. One of the more durable strong plastics.
    Should work similarly to other picks made of that material by other pick makers. (and I guess will be quite similar to PEI of Pprimetones or PI of Blue chip)
    Adrian