Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A style / F style - Which came first ??.

Default A style / F style - Which came first ??.

Gibson mandolin models were apparently ''catalogued'' as "A" style & "F" style. I know that many folk once thought as i did,that the "F" stood for 'Florentine',but i've never read of why the "A" style was an "A" style - but if they were catalogued as such,then it makes sense - but why so far apart ?.

It would make more sense that if Gibson were making 2 styles of mandolin at the same time,they'd catalogue them in order ie. 'A' style & then 'B' style (?) - but we have the 'A' style,& for the next model we skip to 'F' style ??.

So - were both styles produced at the same time,or did the "A" style come first,& then after a period of time,the "F" style was introduced ??. If that was the case - did Gibson make any instruments designated B/C/D/E 'styles' ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Default Re: A style / F style - Which came first ??.

Ivan your mistake is trying to make sense of Gibson's labeling system. Look at the numbers that was used and reused on different mandolins. A F5 then F7 then F 10, where is the 6,8, and 9. Wait a minute the F9 was made many years later. The A5 appeared in the 50's? as a two point oval hole, discontinued, and many years reappeared as a F5 without the scroll or points. The only sense you can make from Gibson designation is it makes no sense,

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

I agree with your comments completely - However,i was hoping that there was indeed some form of logic applied to the instrument designations. Maybe a reference to an old Gibson instrument catalogue might shed some light on it ??,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Totally logical! You start with “A” and when you produce something significantly different, to leave some wiggle room, you don’t call it “B” you call it something later in the alphabet - in Gibson’s case, they chose “F” and the same with numbers; although they don’t seem to have cottoned on to this technique with the A, A1, A2, A3 and A4 models.

I think you’ll find that car manufacturers have done much ths same but I appreciate that Ivan has never had much interest in those.

One day, in a cave deep under Nashville, archeologists will find the fossil evidence of B, C, D, and E style mandolins. Until then, we must believe in the theory of Loarvolution whereby sometime around the Loar era, bored luthiers began comically tinkering on instrument shapes resulting in Gibprotrusion and that eventually somehow granted some survival advantage over their rounded predecessors and which, over the millennia, eventually resulted in the Florentine horn. But until then we must assume styles B-E to be missing links. Oh, and there are probably some monkeys in there somewhere.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

7. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Dont forget to consider the letter 'H' for Mandolas. The body style doesn't change but the size and the tuning does. Wierd.

And there are also Breedlove 'K' shapes to consider.

OK, it was just a theory...

I don’t know why we’re worrying - look at the range of Martin guitars - O, OO, OOO, C, D, M!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Hey Astro won't that dig be in Kalamazoo, MI?
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

Hi Ray - I'm not 'worrying'. It simply seems to me that if you have 2 mandolin designs in production,that you'd 'maybe' catalogue them with consecutive 'letters / numbers'.

Cafe member Sean Keegan sent me this info.cribbed from the book on Gibson mandolins:-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson Mandolin Model Designations.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	173639 It would seem that the Gibson 'mandolin designation anomalies' that we all love, date back to the very begining !. However,it would also seem that Orville Gibson referred to the "F" style as the ''Artist'' Model. So - if the "A" style came first,which, judging by the reference to the patent applications,might very well be the case - why not call the 2 models "A1" & "A2" - why the leap to the "F" model ?. You don't need 'wiggle room either. Any subsequent mandolin models would 'logically'' be "A3" /"A4" etc., Oh well !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Could the F style just be the shape of the hole?
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

Quote Originally Posted by G7MOF View Post
    Could the F style just be the shape of the hole?
    Early Gibsons were oval hole. The f holes came later on.
    Stiver F5 #366
    Kopp K-35 Braz
    Huss & Dalton TD-M Custom
    1935 Martin 00-17
    HD-28E Retro

Lest we forget that around the mid-1990's(IIRC) the beloved C# shape came along;so
    named because it is about halfway between an A and an F-shape mandolin.
    Not sure but the first person I knew of who built a C# mandolin(and called it that) was Bill Bussman.

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    Lest we forget that around the mid-1990's(IIRC) the beloved C# shape came along;so
    named because it is about halfway between an A and an F-shape mandolin.
    Not sure but the first person I knew of who built a C# mandolin(and called it that) was Bill Bussman.
    It was the name C# that came into being in the late 80's or 90's. Gibson as well as others were making them much earlier. Gibson in th 50's, which by the way they called an A5.

why did Henry Ford make the model T before the model A ?. same reason I would think, because he could & people would buy his cars no matter what.

19. The following members say thank you to mandolin tony for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Hi Ray - I'm not 'worrying'. It simply seems to me that if you have 2 mandolin designs in production,that you'd 'maybe' catalogue them with consecutive 'letters / numbers'.

Cafe member Sean Keegan sent me this info.cribbed from the book on Gibson mandolins:-

Name:	Gibson Mandolin Model Designations.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	173639 It would seem that the Gibson 'mandolin designation anomalies' that we all love, date back to the very begining !. However,it would also seem that Orville Gibson referred to the "F" style as the ''Artist'' Model. So - if the "A" style came first,which, judging by the reference to the patent applications,might very well be the case - why not call the 2 models "A1" & "A2" - why the leap to the "F" model ?. You don't need 'wiggle room either. Any subsequent mandolin models would 'logically'' be "A3" /"A4" etc., Oh well !,
    Ivan
    Dear Ivan, my reasoning is the following: If you - for whatever reason - happen to start off with an A-model, naming the second model „B“ would seem like lower quality, wouldn’t it? (Think B-grade wood or what have you, or B-movie.) Now, the F-model is so far not related to such quality aspect that customers are led to think the F-designation must be tied to some very peculiar reason (which in reality it isn’t). And that is exactly what happened; look at us nerds talking.��

21. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

G7MOF 

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
    Now, the F-model is so far not related to such quality aspect that customers are led to think the F-designation must be tied to some very peculiar reason (which in reality it isn’t).
    In some educational contexts, F stands for Fail. Probably not the intended message!

I do not know how accurate this is, but I keep hearing from luthiers and others that the F stands for Florentine, the shape and embellishments of and on the body. Wikipedia says: "At the very end of the 19th century, a new style, with a carved top and back construction inspired by violin family instruments began to supplant the European-style bowl-back instruments in the United States. This new style is credited to mandolins designed and built by Orville Gibson, a Kalamazoo, Michigan luthier who founded the "Gibson Mandolin-Guitar Manufacturing Co., Limited" in 1902. Gibson mandolins evolved into two basic styles: the Florentine or F-style, which has a decorative scroll near the neck, two points on the lower body and usually a scroll carved into the headstock; and the A-style, which is pear shaped, has no points and usually has a simpler headstock." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandolin
    (but of course Wiki is not always accurate)
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    .....And there are also Breedlove 'K' shapes to consider.
    The K was for Kim, as in Kim Breedlove....

Re. Model 'T' Ford :- " Henry Ford conceived a series of cars between the founding of the company in 1903 and the introduction the Model T. Ford named his first car the Model A and proceeded through the alphabet up through the Model T, twenty models in all. Not all the models went into production."

So - The model 'T' Ford was simply one of an alphabetical series. Seems like ol' Henry & me run on the same lines !,

Orville Gibson himself never referred to the "F" style as a 'Florentine' model. He called it the 'Artist' model. I thought for many years that the "F" style referred to 'Florentine',until i began playing mandoln,joined the Cafe & got edificated !. However,Gibson did make a banjo named the 'Florentine' model in both Tenor & 5-String styles,
    Ivan

Name:	Gibson Florentine Tenor Banjo.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	173645
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

26. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

OK, how do you explain the logic in this sequence HS 748, HS 121, HS780, HS125, HS 801, HS1182 and HS 146. Hopefully I’ve got them in something like the right order!

I always thought that the Florentine banjo was really a playable piece of bling.

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    Hey Astro won't that dig be in Kalamazoo, MI?
    No wonder we never found those missing link mando models...we've been digging in the wrong place !

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grandcanyonminstrel View Post
    Thank you! I've been wondering about that.

30. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by grandcanyonminstrel View Post
    Which makes slightly more sense than K, as in mandocello.

32. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

From Ray - " ..how do you explain the logic in this sequence.." I don't !. However, the first 2 were originally the AVRO 748 & the military version,the AVRO 780. I had 45 years of good,solid employment out of A.V. Roe Co. etc. They could call their aircraft anything they wanted as far as i was concerned - work is work !. The aircraft designations are as bizzare as the Gibson instrument ones - but why !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.