Thread: Mystery mandolin

Default Mystery mandolin

Can anyone help me identify this auction find?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1545771747011-241138633.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	173628   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1545771982861648292110.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	173629   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1545772044721-1621713198.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	173630  

Default Re: Mystery mandolin

It's a Stromberg-Voisinet product. Not sure what the brand is based on the scrap of a label.
    www.OldFrets.com: the obscure side of vintage instruments.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vintage-Mandolin-In-Case-the-Vernon-By-C-_57.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	292.3 KB 
ID:	173631 My guess is that the label originally read, "The Vernon, C Bruno & Son, Inc.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

wow you guys are good
    2003 John Sullivan F5 "Roy"
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Too bad it's in such marginal shape, w/ cracks in the top. S-V's were produced more or less thru the '20s (mostly, I think, under their own name, rather than contracted for outside vendors like Bruno), and evolved into Kay-Kraft and eventually Kay. Pre-'50-ish Kay mandolins continued with a vaguely similar but wider version of the S-V 2-point body. IMHO, quality was highest during the lightly-built '20s S-V era.

It once had a black plastic (bakelite, I assume) pickguard that was held on by guitar bridge pins press-fit into those 2 holes on the treble bout. You may be able to see its shape in the fading & patina of the top. It followed the body curve & point on one side, the strings & soundhole on the other, and with a squared-off bottom (w/ radius) just above the bridge; not at all like the glued-on guard in Jeff's Vernon/Bruno photo.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    Too bad it's in such marginal shape, w/ cracks in the top. S-V's were produced more or less thru the '20s (mostly, I think, under their own name, rather than contracted for outside vendors like Bruno), and evolved into Kay-Kraft and eventually Kay. Pre-'50-ish Kay mandolins continued with a vaguely similar but wider version of the S-V 2-point body. IMHO, quality was highest during the lightly-built '20s S-V era.

It once had a black plastic (bakelite, I assume) pickguard that was held on by guitar bridge pins press-fit into those 2 holes on the treble bout. You may be able to see its shape in the fading & patina of the top. It followed the body curve & point on one side, the strings & soundhole on the other, and with a squared-off bottom (w/ radius) just above the bridge; not at all like the glued-on guard in Jeff's Vernon/Bruno photo.
    Thanks for the information, guys. I'm trying to decide if it's worth attempting repairs, or if it's going to be wall art.

IF, and it's a big if, it were playable and just worn and ugly -- I would place the value at $200-250 max. I don't think you could repair the cracks, fretwork, missing tuner parts, tailpiece, and bridge for less than that, IMHO. It looks really dried out, a lot of times the top cracks will close with humidifying to the point where they can be glued and clamped. If you are handy, you might be able to do some of the work yourself and get it playable.