Thread: Buying a Mandolin

Default Buying a Mandolin

Hi there!
    First of all I'm totally new to mandolins. I am buying a low budget electro-acoustic mandolin which I want to use with effects. I was thinking about getting an acoustic - The Loar's LM-110-BRB - and than add a pick up, something like TAP's Man-S Mandolin Pickup Slim(I just chose the cheapest one-if anybody has a suggestion go ahead. My question is, what would be the difference compared to those with the original pick up.
    The other option would be the electro-acoustic Harley Benton HBMA-100E- VS...I know..but I saw the The Loar is also made in china so I wonder if it's really worth the price compared to the much cheaper Harley Benton. If anybody has any experience with the electro-acoustic (A or F shape) Harley Benton I would be glad to hear about. Again keep in mind I'm a beginner.

Default Re: Buying a Mandolin

Hi, I used to own a The Loar LM700. I have played several Halery Benton instruments. Imho, They are worlds apart.

Harley benton are house brand of of Thomann, I think. I have found all the Harley Benton instruments I've played to be low of quality.

Not all instruments made in China are equal.

3. The following members say thank you to noah finn for this post:

Noah’s correct in that Harley Benton are Thomann’s house brand. I had one of their solid bodied mandolins and an octave. Both were OK but needed a lot of set up work to get them to a playable state.

But, if you want to play with effects why not go for a solid body rather than an acoustic?

5. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

Blog Entries

Can you find a used Godin or Harmony Batwing? Those have electronics and are respectably in your price range.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

But, if you want to play with effects why not go for a solid body rather than an acoustic?

Because I also want to play it acoustic..

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Can you find a used Godin or Harmony Batwing? Those have electronics and are respectably in your price range.
    Thanks, I'll take a look!

What about the pick up; built in vs upgrade?
    Any suggestions for pick ups ?

Depends whether you want it to sound like an acoustic or an electric. If you want to play acoustic mandolin and also plug in with effects, the least tortuous route would be to buy two mandolins.