Thread: Starting the New Year Off Light

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Starting the New Year Off Light

Yep, starting off light. I sold a dozen guitars, a mandolin, all my CDs, my record player and amplifier for it, and gave away my set of harmonicas in the past 6 weeks.

I now have only one mandolin, two guitars, a piano and a ukulele here. And a dobro at my shop as well as a resonator mandocello conversion/build I haven't finished yet. Those will be leaving as soon as I get them in shape.

My goal is to get down to one guitar, one mandolin, a uke and a new set of harmonicas. I hope to begin traveling more in a camper van, and I'm excising excess baggage. I know this sounds like blasphemy, the very opposite of MAS and GAS, but I'm enjoying the new found freedom of minimalism.

Next comes furniture. Then, eventually, books and papers! Going (mostly) digital in keeping with these other drastic lifestyle changes.

So, that's my goal for this New Year. I'm well on my way. Starting the New Year Off Light.

Curious: Anybody care to share their own goals for starting the New Year off "right"?
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

2. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Default Re: Starting the New Year Off Light

Hope your wife/girlfriend isn't worried that she might be next !

Love me some used harmonicas. Have you had your shots?
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Blog Entries

Ah ...2019

Maybe get down to two mandolins (from three). Only jones is for a stand up bass.

Looking to book a few local gigs. Also have some music camps and festivals planned that should keep me motivated to practice. 2019 (year 6) is looking up musically

7. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

My wife and I did that a little over a year ago. Sold a number of instruments, tools, wood and a bungalow and all it's belongings (mostly). Relocated to St. Augustine FL to an eleven hundred square foot condo at the beach. I have two mandolins and two tenor guitars and new friends to play tunes with. Feels good.

I would add, to any one who is considering downsizing, you have to be ruthless. Sentimentality has no space when doing so.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

9. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    I would add, to any one who is considering downsizing, you have to be ruthless. Sentimentality has no space when doing so.
    Certainly not the easiest thing I've ever done, letting go of all those instruments. Some were favorite instruments. And I have a few more to go. But it sounds like you have no regrets, and neither do I. After all, how much music can a person make with one guitar, a mandolin and a ukulele? I'd argue, a hell of a lot of music. No room for sentiment re: all the material claptrap.

- YouTube Stuff

11. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

I'm starting the year light too, as in down 43 lbs.
    2012 Weber Bitterroot F5.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Stueve For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Yep, starting off light. I sold a dozen guitars, a mandolin, all my CDs, my record player and amplifier for it, and gave away my set of harmonicas in the past 6 weeks.

I now have only one mandolin...
    So what mandolin survived this downsizing?
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicknut View Post
    So what mandolin survived this downsizing?
    Washburn M106SWK

Guitar
    Gretsch G95221 000 Slot Head

- YouTube Stuff

Sounds like you're going down the minimalist/simplicity road, Mark. Good luck. My wife and I did the the KonMari method in our house a couple years ago and it freed up a lot of space and made life better. We have less stuff than ever and want even less! Good times.

17. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

I find that as I get older I want less "things" I'll trade cars when the pen I have gives up the ghost, I just replaced a cell phone that wasbabout 15 years old, don't need no new TV or any electronics. BUT I want every good mandolin, guitar, and banjo that I see. I know I can't have them all but if I don't waste my money on unimportant things then I can buy more instruments. To me it is a matter of priorities.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    I find that as I get older I want less "things" I'll trade cars when the pen I have gives up the ghost, I just replaced a cell phone that wasbabout 15 years old, don't need no new TV or any electronics. BUT I want every good mandolin, guitar, and banjo that I see. I know I can't have them all but if I don't waste my money on unimportant things then I can buy more instruments. To me it is a matter of priorities.
    I like your thinking! The reason I had to apply this to musical instruments is that I plan to live on the road as much as possible, in a camper van rather than a large RV, so the room I'll have would be enough for one stringed instrument ... but I'm determined to keep three: A guitar, a mandolin and a uke. If I have to, I can lose the uke. But I will have no room in my life anymore for extra stringed instruments. I'm selling pretty much everything except what I'm giving some children. The stuff that I've sold are all the "junk" or fixer-uppers. After that, everything of higher value that I could squeeze a good penny from. What I'm keeping has to be small and has to be something I enjoy playing - not necessarily the best or the favorites at this point. That's why I'm down to a Washburn and a smallish Gretsch guitar. Everything else is about gone. There are three more guitars I'll either sell or give to kids at this point.

If I were going to just stay home the rest of my days, I'd probably die with a couple dozen stringed instruments. That's where I was sitting, 6 weeks ago. Some were not playable, others were nicer and more valuable than what I'm keeping.

I figure in the years ahead if I'm around a long time, I'll have opportunities to trade up when it makes sense, but my current choices are very liberating! It will take a year or two before I'm ready to spend extended times in the wild. Meantime, I have plenty of preparations to make, and I plan on doing some trial runs to festivals and national forests while I prepare.

- YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Cancer took her a little over two years ago, and I'm not really on the prowl. No condolences necessary, and hopefully that's not too much personal info. But since many of you guys and gals are married, I can understand the "WTF?" way that this stuff can sound. A few couples venture into the minimalism thing together, but most don't. So you see, as a bachelor, extreme moves like this are maybe not as crazy as they may sound.

- YouTube Stuff

22. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Mark: That is an enviable position to be in. I have divested of quite a few instruments over the last year, but I am still an accumulator. I just returned yesterday from one of my favorite shops helping a friend try out arch top guitars but before I left fell in deep love with a simple mandolin that had "the sound" I loved. Lucky for me I didn't have the money to buy it outright.

I definitely need to de-access lots of stuff. The volume I have is overwhelming but I do need to get movng so my wife and kids are not stuck with a large pile to get rid of.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

24. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Good for you. I've never been able to get down that path. Right now am down to 3 guitars and that's probably as low as it will go. And too many mandolins. But I was able to get rid of a large book collection. Although our place doesn't look any less cluttered.

Will admit to being an accumulator of stuff (junk?) Lots of tune books and CDs that are just tough to find digitally. Yes, I know everything can be scanned in, but that also takes time and more importantly, incentive.

Have a lot of friends who just have one of each. And I admire that. Sort of wish I could. But I've always been the person who needs a back up. And then also a beater. And because I'm in a few bands, the backup can't be a beater.

Thankfully, I've resisted the temptation to get an accordion. That way lies madness.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

26. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post: