Thread: Any bluegrass jams in Iowa?

Default Any bluegrass jams in Iowa?

I have been trying to connect with other players in the tri-state area of NE Iowa for a while now to no avail. If anyone is around that area and would like to do some picking drop a line! Thanks

Default Re: Any bluegrass jams in Iowa?

Have you checked with the Iowa Bluegrass Association yet? They might have a list of regularly scheduled jams.

https://iowabluegrassmusic.com

Also, pick a town, say Decorah. Do a google search on "live music in decorah ia". The search turns up a few pubs and restaurants that list "live music" on their websites. Give each of them a call. You might get the name of a local musician who would know of area jams. Do the same with "music stores decorah ia". In my hometown, the local music store hosts a jam twice a month. Thus, the store owner not only knows about it, she promotes it.

Towns most likely to have jams are Winona, MN; LaCrosse, WI; Decorah, IA; Rochester, MN; LaCrescent, MN. College towns and Artsy-fartsy towns, especially, would have a group of musicians available.

Good luck.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by Teak View Post
    Have you checked with the Iowa Bluegrass Association yet? They might have a list of regularly scheduled jams.

https://iowabluegrassmusic.com

Also, pick a town, say Decorah. Do a google search on "live music in decorah ia". The search turns up a few pubs and restaurants that list "live music" on their websites. Give each of them a call. You might get the name of a local musician who would know of area jams. Do the same with "music stores decorah ia". In my hometown, the local music store hosts a jam twice a month. Thus, the store owner not only knows about it, she promotes it.

Towns most likely to have jams are Winona, MN; LaCrosse, WI; Decorah, IA; Rochester, MN; LaCrescent, MN. College towns and Artsy-fartsy towns, especially, would have a group of musicians available.

Good luck.
    Good advice, I have been playing music in my area for about 20 years so I'm pretty familiar with all the usual avenues of finding other artists, it's only been since i've been playing bluegrass and traditional music that i've struggled to connect with other players. There just isn't a large bluegrass presence in the area that i can tell. I have looked into the IBMA and it seems most of their events are anywhere where I am not! Thanks for your reply and merry xmas

If you are close to the Minnesota border, you could also check with the Minnesota Bluegrass Association.

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org

The closer one gets to the Twin Cities, the greater the opportunities for local jams to be present. For example, the artsy-fartsy college town of Northfield has a regularly scheduled jam. Winona also has one I am pretty sure. However, once one gets more than an hour away from the TC, the likelihood of a regular jam sessions drops off quickly.

Yes, Merry Christmas and Winter Holiday time off.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

I know this is a ways off and you may be aware of it but the best place to connect is the Backbone Bluegrass Festival on a farm near Backbone Park the third weekend in July. They usually have a couple of soup suppers a year also in the spring and fall either at Strawberry Point or Manchester. There is a lot of picking goes on at the soup suppers. I put a link to the festival below. If you e-mail the contact page some of the association members might be able to point you to something more regular.

Keith Yoder used to do some stuff every so often when he was in Farley but since he moved to the southland that has all come to an end

I am in Cedar Rapids and stuff is pretty slim around here and even Iowa City also.

http://https://backbonebluegrass.com/

Where are you at in NE Iowa, I grew up there. I am now in SW Wisconsin, not far away, and we have lots of music here. More in the old time vein, as opposed to bluegrass, but there is also a bluegrass group in Viroqua.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thursday nights 6-8 at The Food Store 1109 Iowa Street in Dubuque. I am the host and reluctant bass player. Some nights it is slow and beginner focused, other nights it is a little more brisk. Depends on who shows up.

Iowa jams: First IA Jam...June 5th Annual BMAI Hampton Bluegrass Festival. My personal favorite! I will be in attendance at this one. Should be a great time. Jamming at the campgrounds and at the hotel (I think) Many more to come.http://https://backbonebluegrass.com/ I know this is a ways off and you may be aware of it but the best place to connect is the Backbone Bluegrass Festival�� N.E Iowa? How about this one? This is one I intend to visit soon. I am not the host "Thursday nights 6-8 at The Food Store 1109 Iowa Street in Dubuque Ia. I am the host and reluctant bass player. Some nights it is slow and beginner focused, other nights it is a little brisker. Depends on who shows up. " Plus many more. Check on Facebook for Heartland Traditional Musicians & Fans We have several more posted and hopefully many more to come!

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    I know this is a ways off and you may be aware of it but the best place to connect is the Backbone Bluegrass Festival on a farm near Backbone Park the third weekend in July. They usually have a couple of soup suppers a year also in the spring and fall either at Strawberry Point or Manchester. There is a lot of picking goes on at the soup suppers. I put a link to the festival below. If you e-mail the contact page some of the association members might be able to point you to something more regular.

Keith Yoder used to do some stuff every so often when he was in Farley but since he moved to the southland that has all come to an end

I am in Cedar Rapids and stuff is pretty slim around here and even Iowa City also.

http://https://backbonebluegrass.com/

Just noticed your post, I know Keith and have taken lessons on and off with him for years. Small world!
    2017 Gibson F5L
    Northfield Big Mon
    Collings D1AT
    Collings D1AVN Varnish
    Collings D2HGT
    1941 Martin D-18

"Too dumb for New York, too ugly for L.A."

Just noticed your post, I know Keith and have taken lessons on and off with him for years. Small world!
    I still hear from him off and on when he is not busy. The spring soup supper was a couple of weeks ago in Manchester. There were about 40 or 50 people there it seemed like. I probably will make Kalona and Backbone festivals this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
    I have been trying to connect with other players in the tri-state area of NE Iowa for a while now to no avail. If anyone is around that area and would like to do some picking drop a line! Thanks
    I live in North Central Ia. (Charles City) There is no one here that plays Bluegrass. So, in complete desperation I am traveling to Strawberry Point in N.E. Ia. to the backbone music festival to find someone to jam with!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnthe View Post
    I live in North Central Ia. (Charles City) There is no one here that plays Bluegrass. So, in complete desperation I am traveling to Strawberry Point in N.E. Ia. to the backbone music festival to find someone to jam with!
    Backbone is next weekend but the Kalona Festival is this weekend as well. It is at Windmill Ridge Campground just off Highway 1 south of Kalona. Bob Black and Paul Roberts host it. They are forecasting ridiculously hot weather though.

I'm in eastern Iowa also. Slim pickins' around here.. but always looking to participate in jams. If any of you guys on this thread know of any please contact me. Thanks.
    Tom
    Bettendorf

Just read it's been posted already. Carry on.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!