Thread: Petersen Octave

Default Petersen Octave

I have a chance to pick up a 2001 Petersen Octave mandolin L2 under $800. From what I've seen in the forum it looks like a good deal.

Any thoughts? All info appreciated.

Jim

Default Re: Petersen Octave

That’s a great deal if it’s in good condition. I paid $975 for my Level 2 about 10 years ago. The tone, volume, and sustain are all decent, as well as the aesthetics. I play ITM on mine. The scale length is about 22.5 or 22.75, which gives it the aforementioned sound quality, but makes it more difficult for melody than the short scale OMs. PM me if you don’t want it, because I do! Mr. Petersen is no longer building these.

That's a good deal. They are consistent quality instruments. Look great too. I don't think you can beat them for the price.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

That seems an exceptionally good deal. I bought a year old near mint Level 3 (cedar top and koa back and sides - unusual combination for Mr. Petersen) from Elderly nine years ago for $1000. It’s a great instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by jvkelly View Post
    That seems an exceptionally good deal. I bought a year old near mint Level 3 (cedar top and koa back and sides - unusual combination for Mr. Petersen) from Elderly nine years ago for $1000. It’s a great instrument.
    Hey jvk - My Level 2 also has a cedar top and koa back/sides (so maybe not that unusual?).

I likewise own a level 2 Petersen with a cedar and koa back and sides. Steve-o, I suspect that you are correct that they are not all that uncommon.

A level 2 for $800 is quite a bargain. I have been very happy with mine and use it for both backing and playing tunes. It has both good volume and a very full tone. It strikes a good balance between smaller bodied OMs and larger bouzoukis.
    Rob

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I'll post some pix if/when I close the deal.

Jim

I pulled the trigger on that Petersen octave. Here's a couple of pix. I'm letting it get acclimatized to my place before trying anything with it. I'm used to my Gibson A and Breedlove A. I've never had an octave in hand before so the heft of this one surprised me. Also the 22.5 scale is somewhat daunting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Petersen L2 Front (478 x 640).jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	173812
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Petersen_Back_L2.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	173813  

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim P. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P. View Post
    I pulled the trigger on that Petersen octave. Here's a couple of pix. I'm letting it get acclimatized to my place before trying anything with it. I'm used to my Gibson A and Breedlove A. I've never had an octave in hand before so the heft of this one surprised me. Also the 22.5 scale is somewhat daunting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Petersen L2 Front (478 x 640).jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	173812
    You won't be saying that in a few days! I'm sure you'll play it a lot and the more you play, the easier it gets. Congratulations