Thread: Weymann Mandolute 35 brown?

Default Weymann Mandolute 35 brown?

Hi, I just bought this mandolute and I was wondering if the brown finish is original? The Mandolute appears to be 1920 and has a red tag inside that says Mandolute but the sticker on the peghead does not. The mandolin sides and back seem to be mahogany. Any comments on what I have? Anything obvious that needs to be fixed besides the neck binding? Thank you very much! This is the best I can afford, paid $125.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolute 4.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	173533   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolute 3.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	173534   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolute 2.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	173535  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolute 1.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	173536  

Default Re: Weymann Mandolute 35 brown?

Hi Carl, from the photos, the general appearance of the finish, the wear, and the presence of the Weymann decal, I'd say the color is original. It does appear to be in good structural condition, but without examining it(or tuning/playing it), I can't tell what else it might need besides that binding replaced. It could need the action adjusted, and fretwork(it looks almost unplayed, but even so, wood moves, and frets can loosen/lift over the decades, even after just sitting in a closet). It may be best to have it looked at by a competent luthier. These are nice instruments, if well set-up.
    Dave

They're nice instruments, if well set-up: but those inlaid tuners are not great, they're frustrating, but not easy to replace(at least, not good on the similar Weymann I owned years ago).

Teacher, repair person

I see a seam opening on the back of the peg head. This should be glued and clamped; and the rest of the instrument inspected for loose glue joints inside and out. Try to find someone experienced with instruments of this age to look it over for you.

A good violin repair person would be an alternative if there's nobody in your neck of the woods who knows old mandolins.

Thanks everybody
    I'll get if fixed. I was looking at the pictures and it looks like the first few frets have been replaced, they are wider than the others. I'm looking forward to having a quality instrument for a change. Really appreciate the feedback. I'm still puzzled about the red label when all the others had green ones. Have a great holiday.

I have two Weymann mandolins. One is a 1909 bowlback. It's in pretty decent shape but it not that great, soundwise. The reason I have it is because it was given to me by a family member and it looks pretty cool on the wall. I do get it down and play it now and then.

The other is a 1919 mandolute. I bought if off of Craigslist for $25. It's mostly in decent shape except for the tailpiece area. The tailpiece was missing and the wood in that area was partly missing/delaminated. I gave it to a luthier friend of mine to restore. Mine does not have the inlaid tuners. I haven't had it strung up so I don't have any idea how good the tuners work or how it sounds for that matter. I have always wanted one of the mandolute models and this was certainly a cheap enough way to get one. I'm anxious to get it back and hear how it sounds. I'll post photos when I do.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin