Thread: Comparing A modells, Collings, Elkhorn, Skip Kelly

Default Comparing A modells, Collings, Elkhorn, Skip Kelly

Looking for feedback on these three brands. What do you like what do you not like? How do you rate them for fit and finish, playabilty, sound, etc. I have seen Collings, they seem to be everywhere but have never seen or played an Elkhorn or Skip Kelly.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Comparing A modells, Collings, Elkhorn, Skip Kelly

Collings are built tight. Never a flaw. Play great out of the case. Conservative look. Wasn't a fan of my MT's satin finish. It looks ok but is not as protective as gloss and was getting some glossy spots on the top where I let my pinky touch while playing. They are loud enough. They lean a bit bright in tone imo but without sounding schrill. You can't go wrong with one if you searching for something to be the next step up from big lineup of 'first' mandolins.

Skip Kelley A5 mandolins tend to be fully appointed - nice wood, fully bound, nice tailpiece and tuners and varnish finish. Also loud but more balanced in tone than my Collings. Skip builds a nice mandolin that has upgrade features for the cost.

Two good choices. I would prefer to play both before I bought but that goes for any mandolin these days.

I've played one Elkhorn at a store and have always admired them.

3 nice choices but I am curious on how you chose these 3 as a group.

I have a Collings MT-2 and it is everything you say but would like a woodier sounding mandolin. There are currently these others out there for sale but too far away to play before I buy. It is enough to make me nervous about spending 3+ grand for an unknown entity. The Elkhorn looks great with the right stuff as far as tailpiece, tuners, etc. The S Kelly looks good too.

Roadtrip to Nashville. No other way to make an informed choice.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Roadtrip to Nashville. No other way to make an informed choice.
    Buy used instruments appropriately depreciated. Identify your keeper(s) over a prolonged period in your particular environment(s) and application(s). Move on the other(s) at little to no loss.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

6. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Try some monel strings on the Collings, but do yourself a favor, try a Girouard before you decide.
    Last edited by Mandobar; Dec-20-2018 at 7:15am.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

8. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I’m also curious about Skip and Elkhorns. Played plenty of Collings. The new torriefied MTs sound pretty nice to my ears. You might consider Pava as well. I have a Pava A that is very nice especially for the price point.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Never played a Kelly or an Elkhorn but I've played several MTs and they've all been really good.
    Living’ in the Mitten

11. The following members say thank you to Steve Ostrander for this post:

Well I pulled the trigger and got Elkhorn #55 from Robb Brophy. A mighty fine piece of playable art. Will give a full review in a few days. Just marveling at the tone, volume, ease of playing and visual aesthetic that makes this instrument so special.

I went from a Kentucky 505 to a Collings MT2 with Italian Spruce and a wide nut. I also played a Skip Kelly when I was trying to decide which mandolin to buy. The Kelly was really nice, a real bluegrass machine. I felt that the Collings was more versatile and refined in tone. As Mark Wilson said, bright but not shrill, and I think the Italian spruce top makes a difference there. Great low end but sweet trebles as well. I guess it depends on whether the mandolin will fit the tonality of the genres you want to play.

I have had a couple Collings over the years, one I should have kept, the last two had E strings that I found strident. Yes it is all in what you want for your sound.

I own Elkhorn #3, which is an A-5. While it’s one of Robb’s earlier mandolins and the fit and finish is not on par with his more recent work (I also used to own #20, a F-5) and the sound of #3 is quite as refined as #20, it’s still a fantastic mandolin. I have played two handfuls of MTs and to my ear, none of them were better than #3. My feel is his more recent work would certainly be on par or surpass a MT2, but that’s purely a somewhat informed opinion on my part. Also, I like the darker and fuller tonal spectrum and based on the two Elkhorns I’ve owned, that’s where I’d put them tone wise.

I did a critical evaluation of my mandolins yesterday, and what different beasts they are. One very loud bright f style, one very warm and woody A style f hole, ans my vintage A 1.

All pro quality sound but so very different. To play with others, the bright loud F is the ticket. Fiddle tunes in the backyard? My Silverangel. Soft Celtic and classical? The A1.

It comes down to what you do. You can play all the notes on any of them.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

The only one of those three I can speak for is the MT I own. A really fine mandolin and has everything I look for in a mandolin. Once I pick it up its hard to put down.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

This kind of question reminds me of when a friend called me up and asked me about buying a Santa Cruz cocobolo guitar, really a high ticket item. He was wanting reassurance. What I told him was he would get a really good guitar. Weather that would be the guitar he would take home after trying many in one of the larger dealers is another story.

I think if you've been here a while and read many threads you'd come to the conclusion you can get a very good mandolin online, just pick one. Then again you can go to Nashville.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

RobBob, Those Elkhorn's were beautiful Hard to beat a small shop built mandolin with Waverly tuners, varnish finish, one piece backs and evo frets for that price. If they paly and sound anywhere close to how they look they will be great mandolins. Enjoy.