Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, bought a used Rogue... Huh...

Default So, bought a used Rogue... Huh...

I was walking though Guitar Center, waiting for my lunch to get finished being made next door, and walked past a Rogue sitting on a stand for $50. Used.

I raised an eyebrow and picked it up. Yup. it's the $50 one.

Started to put it down, and took another look. Perfect setup. Strings low on the frets. No warping. No odd bow. Bridge in near perfect shape.

Decided to strum it. No buzz. Bit twangy. Off key as hell.

Tuned it. Strummed it again.

Very twangy. Pulled out a pick I almost always keep on me anymore, because, you know. Picks. Gotta have them.

Sounded really... Odd. Sound was tight as heck. Didn't sound right with a light strum.

I hit the strings. Got the twangiest sound I've ever heard from a mando, and it went on forever.

Breathed on the strings. It hummed back. Sang across them. And darn me if it didn't sing back.

Looked inside again, and yup. No serial. Bargain basement it was. No damage or discoloration to the wood, neck or machines.

Strings were rusty.

Something about the poor thing. I bought it and have it next to my desk on the wall as a grab and play. Crazy how a terrible mandolin model can sometimes just turn out something way above it's grade. Sounds like it lives for bluegrass.

And now, every time I talk near my desk, it starts ringing back. Very odd day.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Foolish Frost For This Useful Post:

===========

Default Re: So, bought a used Rogue... Huh...

Sounds like the time when Charlie Brown bought the worst tree on the Christmas Tree lot, because it 'looked like it needed him' - and turned out to be just perfect.

Enjoy!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeZito For This Useful Post:

shaving it might help. this 40$ mandolin supposedly sounds like a 120$ one now that its lost its finish.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181216_140009.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	173485

Quote Originally Posted by LesterFlattFanatic View Post
    shaving it might help. this 40$ mandolin supposedly sounds like a 120$ one now that its lost its finish.

<stares in horror>

<says nothing, but takes off his hat and bows his head, weeping silently>

Christmas spirit indeed. Even a Rogue deserves some love...

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Have you replaced those rusty strings yet?
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Instruments call to us. There is no rational explanation. They just do. Enjoy the find. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

10. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Nope. Oiled them for the moment. If they stay in tune and don't start getting rough. Then they get replaced.

As it is, it seems fine, and I like it how it is. Change of strings risks the sound for now.

Here is my cheapie: https://www.facebook.com/rob.dreamwo...54144692/?t=67
    Rover solid top mandolin with case: $70
    Dual stick-on transducers (used): $30
    Missed cue by vocalist and subsequent head nods, pointing and merriment: priceless

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob_mc For This Useful Post:

bass player gone mando

I had a used Rogue once. It taught me that nicer mandolins are more motivating to practice and play.

But that's not a knock. Without the Rogue, I would not have progressed.
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chuck3 For This Useful Post:

My first mandolin was a Rogue, bought off of craigslist. Took Rob M's setup book and went to town on it.
    Cheap entry price to learn/know I wanted to play mandolin and get a better one.

"Those that know don't close the doors on those that don't know" The Gourds.

Jerry Rosa has a video where he unboxed a Rogue, evaluated it, and set it up. He concluded that it wasn't junk and he could recommend it to parents wanting to get a starter for the kids.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Frost View Post
    As it is, it seems fine, and I like it how it is. Change of strings risks the sound for now.
    No kidding. One time I saw a used Opheum guitar. MIJ import 60s-70’s Grand Auditorium size. Laminate top, but it sounded like angels singing. I was stunned. I bought it, took it home, removed the rusty nasty 40 year old strings before I got tetanus from them.

It never sounded good again. 80/20s, PBs, Aluminums, monels, heavy, light ... nothing worked. Final grabbed it and a half dozen other pieces of firewood and traded them all in towards a Martin D15m. Now, that’s a happy ending.

============
    ~Music self-played is happiness self-made
    ——————————
    Loar LM-590
    Kentucky KM-272

19. The following members say thank you to Dave Fultz for this post:

You can do a lot to a Rogue RM100-A to improve the action and sound and learn setup skills without fear of doing some expensive harm. For a beginner this mandolin with a good setup is a great start to see if you like it and want to continue. Here's mine with the finish removed and a pick guard and tailpiece added. The tailpiece they come with is probably the worst feature about them but it works. Got mine for $49.99 with free shipping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	444.7 KB 
ID:	173576  

How did you remove the finish? Did it open up the sound any? It's almost like they're dipped in plastic, which must be related to the quiet nature of the Rogue, even after setup.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parker135 View Post
    ... It's almost like they're dipped in plastic, which must be related to the quiet nature of the Rogue, even after setup.
    Yup, and hence their weatherproof and long-lasting nature. May not like how they sound, but they'll sound that way for a long time.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

23. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    ......May not like how they sound, but they'll sound that way for a long time.
    Don, that's what we used to say about Peavey amps, they didn't sound the greatest, but they were so reliable they would sound that way for a long time!

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

I came to mando from playing bass and rhythm guitar. Consequently, I find that I often avoid picking on the E courses because the frequencies are so high and I like to pick a bass line while chording. With that in mind, let me ask the Café brain trust, the wisdom of picking up a Rouge as a beater for converting to CGDA.

I've heard the C strings are a bit floppy when converting from GDAE to CGDA, and I would need to widen the slots at the nut. Any other considerations?

I might also want to string it up with flats as I'm looking for a mellower tone than I get from my Eastman MD315.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrooverMcTube View Post
    I came to mando from playing bass and rhythm guitar. Consequently, I find that I often avoid picking on the E courses because the frequencies are so high and I like to pick a bass line while chording. With that in mind, let me ask the Café brain trust, the wisdom of picking up a Rouge as a beater for converting to CGDA.

I've heard the C strings are a bit floppy when converting from GDAE to CGDA, and I would need to widen the slots at the nut. Any other considerations?

I might also want to string it up with flats as I'm looking for a mellower tone than I get from my Eastman MD315.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    I would recommend a mandola or octave mandolin, it will sound better for you.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    You can do a lot to a Rogue RM100-A to improve the action and sound...
    One of the things that would improve the sound would be to cut the tone bars in half. That’s probably not an exaggeration because the braces are at least twice as thick as they need to be. Unfortunately, the back would need to come off to do it and very few people would put that much effort into a Rogue.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Did you even bother to take the strings and tailpiece off? I took the finish off my Rogue also, but I took all of the finish off.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

===========

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Don, that's what we used to say about Peavey amps, they didn't sound the greatest, but they were so reliable they would sound that way for a long time!
    (laugh) Out of last-minute desperation, I bought a Peavey electric bass amp back in 1982. I dragged that heavy toneless thing around with me for about 35 years . . . and when I finally sold it a couple of years ago, it could have passed for brand new.

31. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrooverMcTube View Post

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Please excuse the brief derail...

I routinely tune my mandolins GCEG, aka open C, slak-key C or taropatch C. For the E and G courses (formerly A and E courses) I use .017 and .015 (non-wound) strings. The G and C courses (formerly G and D courses) are the standard mandolin wound strings.

I come from a 50-year 5-string banjo background; this tuning is like strings 1-through-4 on a 5-string banjo with a capo at the 5th fret. I also play plectrum banjo (also flat picking) so this is a very natural tuning for me.

This tuning tames down the high strings on a mandolin very nicely, plus it's a pretty low tension tuning for those who prefer that for their mandolins. You do loose about 9 steps from your top range with this tuning, in my case I play barre chords (and chord-melodies) up the neck quite a bit...

For guitarists you can modify this tuning by raising the high G course (formerly E course) to an A to achieve "Chicago C" tuning (like strings 1-through-4 on guitar with a capo on the 5th fret).

For bassists, why not try tuning in 4ths instead of 5ths?

Back to the Rogue...

I really do consider these mandolins nearly indestructible. Like my dad the carpenter used to say about his relatively pricey Blue Grass hammers, they last long enough for you to hate them.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

No experience with Rogue mandolins here, but that’s one of the best-written posts I’ve ever seen on the MC.

34. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

So how long did it take to remove that armor from the top?
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams