Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resale Value of Northfield

Default Resale Value of Northfield

I am getting a new mandolin and am planning to sell my old one. Unlike nearly everyone on this site (I feel like a true loner in this case), I'm really only a one mandolin kind of guy.

The mandolin I own now is a Northfield, #65. I have made no modifications to it beyond fret dressings. It was made before they switched the tuning machines to black from pearl and it has a different bridge from that of any of the new models. Does anyone know if these differences will affect my resale value positively or negatively? I'm assuming the woods are on par with that of a Big-Mon simply because it is listed as a master model on the sticker inside the f-hole.

I'm already going to take a hit in resale price simply because I am a natural mandolin distresser, as is the man I bought it from (Harry Clark of The Wooks), so I am hoping that the rise in value of Northfields will do me some favors to offset some of the distressing, despite the fact that its as tasteful as a distressing job gets

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Default Re: Resale Value of Northfield

Only going by what I see in the classifieds, the S series, which retails at $2995, seem to go used for about $2K or so, which I do not believe is that bad or good, kinda avg, YMMV
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

General rule of thumb is 2/3 of new for a mandolin in good condition. Sounds like yours is in fair condition. Hard to know what the original price was without a model #.
    You might contact Northfield with the serial number and ask them to give you a description and original sale price.

That's the thing, it was made when Northfield was only making two types of F models. Big Mon and Standard Master Model. It has the same appointments as a modern Big Mon. Varnish, Top and Back Bound, etc.

It is an F5MM.

Looks like it must be from mid 2010 according to this post:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...l=1#post855479
    I'd contact Northfield to get the details which might help your resale value.

I think their finish and appointments were all the same at that time for MM traditional, MM modern & Big Mon. Differences being flat fretboard on traditional, and size on Big Mon.

PS- pictures showing condition would help too
    Last edited by colorado_al; Dec-18-2018 at 2:14pm.

Blog Entries

Is it a traditional or "modern" MM? Your # places it early but they did have the options of traditional or modern. The traditional is the one with flat board with the fretboard extension like a Traditional Gibson F-5. The modern is a radius board, big frets, and a smaller board extension. Once we know this we can go from there. And I'd suggest placing an add here on the café home page and when you have a sale donate to the site.

As a potential buyer, I'd say it is lumped in with all the well regarded mandolins and should be worth the same percentage discount as any major brand.

Where things get dicey is the value of a relatively unknown maker. Northfield can hang with the big boys.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

+1. IMHO, Northfield should be on a par with Collings, Gibson etc. as far as used vs new price. I would try to find comparable sales on the Cafe Classifieds or Ebay to gauge pricing. And go high - you can always drop the price if it doesn't move.
    Mitch Russell

While Northfield mandolins are well regarded, I imagine that earlier models will not command the same percentage discount as Collings or Gibson. I would be hesitant to purchase one at 2/3 price, when I could get the same model that has evolved through several more generations for not much more. I would get the details of the materials used, the hardware, and compare to the current specs. Use that as a guide, and/or sales pitch to justify the asking price.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Lots of helpful information, guys. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    Is it a traditional or "modern" MM? Your # places it early but they did have the options of traditional or modern. The traditional is the one with flat board with the fretboard extension like a Traditional Gibson F-5. The modern is a radius board, big frets, and a smaller board extension. Once we know this we can go from there. And I'd suggest placing an add here on the café home page and when you have a sale donate to the site.
    It is a modern. Short extension with a larger radius.

Blog Entries

Depending on condition I'd say if it was great shape 2500+? I had a traditional around the same # as yours that was dead mint and sold it for 3G about a year later.

Pricing is also going to depend on the market. It’s a bit saturated right now with old and new instruments. Dealers are also willing to give fairly generous discounts. Lots of competition on the market right now, with most people thinking about the holidays. I think you’d get more for it if you can wait a few months.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

OP wrote:
    "I am a natural mandolin distresser, as is the man I bought it from"

I think that perhaps you'd better post a few pics, so we can get an idea of how "distressed" this instrument is.

That could make a serious dent on what you ask for it...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1219182231.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	173497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1219182230a.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	194.6 KB 
ID:	173498Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1219182231a.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	251.3 KB 
ID:	173496Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1219182232.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	248.8 KB 
ID:	173499
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1219182231b.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	305.0 KB 
ID:	173500

As requested, pictures. I'm not naive about the cost of a "worn" mandolin. But considering the wear and tear on other mandos (including Northfields, sometimes with massive finish gaps created due to a resting pinky or intense buckle rash) I'm not really that worried that mine is any worse or better than others. More concerned with just understanding what current model is most similar to my own so I can get some sort of idea where to think about pricing it. I have contacted Northfield, but there has been no response yet.

16. The following members say thank you to Keith Witty for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by NotACreativeName View Post
    Unlike nearly everyone on this site (I feel like a true loner in this case), I'm really only a one mandolin kind of guy.
    I’m a one-mandolin man too.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    I’m a one-mandolin man too.
    I just feel bad when I have instrument just sitting in a case unplayed. I only have two hands!

(But I'm also sure the fact Mandolins are so expensive also has something to do with it).

I’m a one mando girl too and mine is a Northfield Master model #268. Can’t help with resale value, although the new ones are selling for $6k they are different than Our Master models. Contact Peter, Adrian, or Derek (it’s the holidays so they may be off so I’d call) for some info and advice.

Looking at the pics yours doesn’t really look too bad, have you seen Emory Lester’s #81...
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

I purchased my 2015 NF5S wide nut almost 2 years ago. The wide nut mandolins are a tad over 3K new. I paid a lil more than 2/3 mark and thought it was fair, especially after I played it. Still there aren’t that many used NF mandolins available in the classifieds. The wear on that mandolin is “honest play wear” and shouldn’t effect price. Your mandolin will sell quickly with a good photos, fair price and a trial period. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

"The wear on that mandolin is “honest play wear” and shouldn’t effect price."

I believe the wear shown will affect the price - especially the nicks, scratches and dings on the peghead overlay.

That being said, the mandolin will sell quickly at a fair price.

22. The following members say thank you to Hockey Puck for this post:

Your mandolin is somewhere between the Big Mon and the F5s. Excellent condition on a used F5s is around $2500. The Big Mon about $3600. A used Master Model would be $2800 to $3000 minus a percentage for the wear?

If I remember, these were around $3800 new, depending on the options selected. There was an option to have the Big Mon body size on these, but not all of them were built with that option. As for the bridge and tuners, I’m not sure that is going to impact the resale. The big impact is going to be the wear. Why? Because the majority of buyers are unfortunately influenced by appearance when shopping online.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

24. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Your mandolin is somewhere between the Big Mon and the F5s. Excellent condition on a used F5s is around $2500. The Big Mon about $3600. A used Master Model would be $2800 to $3000 minus a percentage for the wear?

If I remember, these were around $3800 new, depending on the options selected. There was an option to have the Big Mon body size on these, but not all of them were built with that option. As for the bridge and tuners, I’m not sure that is going to impact the resale. The big impact is going to be the wear. Why? Because the majority of buyers are unfortunately influenced by appearance when shopping online.
    Very informative post for me. Thanks. I suppose I may just have to wait until after the holidays to contact Northfield and get the original specs on it, just in case there's something hidden I don't know such as premium woods (I think the wood looks pretty standard for a Northfield).

Easiest way to check current valuation is to list it on the Cafe Classifieds at slightly more than you would think reasonable and then see what kind of responses you get. It will either deliver -- No responses (Price is too high), Haggling (Price seems interesting), or a Buyer.

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

27. The following members say thank you to Steve Sorensen for this post:

Side note: I feel like in the mandolin world everyone has a certain "builder" that, if they had the money, they would instantly call to commission an instrument from. Very odd feeling to be given advice on selling my current mando by the builder I would most like to have an instrument from.

One of the great things about this site, honestly.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Witty For This Useful Post:

danghank 

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post

I think new cost on a MM at the time (2010) was $3000. Still, you could price it wherever you like and see if you get any interest.