Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resale Value of Northfield

Default Re: Resale Value of Northfield

New cost was certainly over $3k, because the F5S was close to $2800 when it came out. I remember talking to Peter about an A5 Master Model in 2013, and it was over $3k (I believe they were asking $3400 or thereabouts). I paid about $2800 for my F5s around that same time period. So, $3,000 would be a little low for an early MM, especially if it was the big-body model.

If you want to sell it, I suggest you determine a realistic value, assess the market, and then list it. If you put a realistic price on it you won't spend weeks pulling your hair out with tire kickers and the endless questions about its condition as people try and nickel and dime you to death using the wear marks as their bargaining point.

Your mandolin has some nice wood (from what I can see from your pics), and while it is not upgraded in terms of a James tailpiece (these were an option), etc. there is always a market for used Northfields and Collings mandolins. They have a strong new market, which leads to a fairly stable used market for their instruments (price as well as demand-wise).

And yes, I do instrument valuations (along with other collectibles) as part of my profession.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Seems to me that when the Northfields were relatively new -- before the Big Mon, etc. -- that Elderly was pretty much the sole source, and they were selling them for $2,500 (either "traditional" style or "modern" style).

So that's where I'd reckon "the starting point" for determining -current value- should begin.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Albert View Post
    Seems to me that when the Northfields were relatively new -- before the Big Mon, etc. -- that Elderly was pretty much the sole source, and they were selling them for $2,500 (either "traditional" style or "modern" style).

So that's where I'd reckon "the starting point" for determining -current value- should begin.
    Are you referring to the satin finish or all gloss finish models? $2500 got you a satin finish model way back when they first came out. #65 is probably at least a year or so after that. They weren’t making many mandolins at all at that time, and there weren’t many dealers.

You can also look at it from a replacement value perspective. Today the closest model is a Big Mon, with the larger body and a James tailpiece. At $4500, less some $$ for those upgrades, you’d still be around $4000 as a replacement value. At 70% of replacement, resale would be $2800 to $3000 and then deduct some for the wear/condition.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Yes, Steve’s insight is extremely valuable...and, a very cool aspect of the Cafe...
    Chuck

Your Mando #65 was built in mid 2010. At that time NF-F5M was $2500. In Sep 2011 they raised the price to $3000.
    According to this super long thread about Northfield
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ield-mandolins

This is the person you bought #65 from commenting on 9/16/11 that the price went up and it was going to cost him $3000 to buy it
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...l=1#post966629

Al, I'm not sure that original cost is a factor here. What would the mandolin cost now? If you paid $5700 for a new Collings MF5 in 2003, would you sell it today for 70% of $5700 or $70% of the $8000 it would cost you today? $3900 is what you'd pay for a used MF. You have to make some adjustments for inflation, as they say. Otherwise, it's not worth selling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Al, I'm not sure that original cost is a factor here. What would the mandolin cost now? If you paid $5700 for a new Collings MF5 in 2003, would you sell it today for 70% of $5700 or $70% of the $8000 it would cost you today? $3900 is what you'd pay for a used MF. You have to make some adjustments for inflation, as they say. Otherwise, it's not worth selling.
    It depends on how it compares to what is currently available. OP still has not contacted Northfield to get specs on his mandolin, or at least has not shared it in this thread.
    It looks like it has a bit of peghead inlay, and is bound on the back. Also looks gloss, so it is a step up from the NF-F5S, but I still wouldn't put it in the class of the current Northfield Master models. Nor is it the Big Mon size. So this mandolin really has no current model to compare to.
    If I bought a Collings MF5 8 years ago, it might have appreciated a bit in the used market because that model is still made and there is a direct comparison one can draw.
    As I said before, the owner is free to list it at whatever price he sees fit. Maybe it'll sell, maybe it won't. Personally, I don't see it going for more that $2500, but I've been wrong before and likely will be again.

Blog Entries

Colorado_al is right when these came out they were 2500, I know because back when it was simple they had 2 models! The traditional and The modern. And I bought a traditional one. I had maybe a year but barely played it sold it to a friend who lived a few houses down from me for exactly 2500, and by then there was a price increase but I just wanted what I had in it, didn't want to make anything on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    Colorado_al is right when these came out they were 2500, I know because back when it was simple they had 2 models! The traditional and The modern. And I bought a traditional one. I had maybe a year but barely played it sold it to a friend who lived a few houses down from me for exactly 2500, and by then there was a price increase but I just wanted what I had in it, didn't want to make anything on it.
    I also bought one when Northfield first came out but I thought I paid close to $2000. ( could be my memory is bad) and I thought the sound was very good especially for the price ! But, the finish ( look wise ) was horrible ! Clouding up front and back ! Sent it back as the warranty would cover this problem at the time and Northfield made numerous attempts to fix this, which they did but the heavy clouding always came back. Anyway, I did sell it at a profit a number of years later. I'm sure the finish problem has been resolved now. I think even now that Northfield is a great buy for the money even though I don't own one now.

Quote Originally Posted by NotACreativeName View Post
    Unlike nearly everyone on this site (I feel like a true loner in this case), I'm really only a one mandolin kind of guy.
    You are not alone. Although I do have two because they both are too special to me to let either of them go, ( for reasons other than being great instruments), I prefer own and play only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sanderson View Post
    You are not alone. Although I do have two because they both are too special to me to let either of them go, ( for reasons other than being great instruments), I prefer own and play only one.
    I guess I am a mandolin polygamist !

Based on the info above, I'd need to play the instrument. Just like I'd need to play any maker's fifth or sixth instrument. But if I can build a great sounding mandolin the first try. I would certainly embrace trying them out.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Teacher, repair person

The street price for a new Big Mon, the closest current equivalent, is $4500.

Recent issue used instruments in excellent original condition generally bring somewhere between 60% to 75% of the street price for a new one, depending on how much demand there is for the model.

Wear should be taken into account, also, if present, any cracks or worn frets. Any of these factors will reduce the market price.
    Northfields seem to be popular right now.
    Steve Sorensen's advice is good. You might start slightly higher than you think it will bring and see if you get any nibbles.

This is not a good comparison, but last year I sold a used Eastman 505 in nice condition for $500. A new one goes for $700. I was able to sell it locally without posting it on the web, and it sold quickly. At the time, there were others listed in the classifieds for roughly the same price.

I have found that I seem to be able to get a better price if I can find a local buyer.

I have also found that instruments that I was not able to sell on forum classifieds have sold when I consigned them with a well known retail shop, often for more than I was asking in the classified ad. The most recent example was a 1912 Gibson A, which I had advertised for $1200. It sat in the classifieds for several months with very little interest. When I gave up and consigned it at a well known store, they sold it quickly for $1400. In that case, it was well worth it to let them take their 20%.

At least mandolins hold their value much more than a car !

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    At least mandolins hold their value much more than a car !
    They don't wear out as fast . . .

Another factor is the buying pool willing to consider your mandolin. I'd venture those willing to consider a Collings would be greater than those willing to consider Northfield. To many Northfield will always be lumped as a PacRim import and thus not to be considered. Has nothing to do with the instrument.Also, it is cheaper so must not be as good. Irrational, but still to be considered.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

17. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

one mandolin???? quick kick this blasphemer out of here. heresy heresy!!!