Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the addiction...

Default Re: the addiction...

Ha ha. It only took me 2 weeks to order my second mandolin. As I recall, it was about 6 months before I ordered my second ukulele lol. Oh yeah I haver ordered a cheap dual (K&K type) pickup to install in my Rogue. My band has a few concerts coming up in March 2019 that I hope to be able to play at least one mandolin tune in. We average 1-2 a month. Trying to learn to play it well enough by then.

I remind my better half that "NEED" never enters the equation...…..

3. The following members say thank you to Keith Johnston for this post:

Carl23 

I got my first mandolin from my mother-in-law when her mandolin playing uncle passed away in 1987. She inherited the mandolin which she gave to me because I played the guitar. That was my only mandolin for about fifteen years before I bought my next mandolin. I learned quite a lot on that first instrument and it did not hold me back although it's a relatively inexpensive mandolin. I still have it. It was wonderful when I bought my next mandolin which I felt as though I had earned and I could appreciate for it's tone and quality.

5. The following members say thank you to Hudmister for this post:

It was three months for me before upgrading. I was perfectly happy with my Eastman, but then I tried a Weber, Northfield, and a Collings.......

If you don't have the cash, and never will, don't play that pre war D 28.

Same with a Loar. I never want to be playing my really good mandolin and think, boy, if I only had a Loar.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Most likely because it is easier to peruse and purchase than to practice and perform. Besides, materialism is addictive.
    Blessings

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMadd View Post
    Most likely because it is easier to peruse and purchase than to practice and perform. Besides, materialism is addictive.
    Blessings
    Very true, at least in the ukulele world where I spent a lot of time. I have a friend who owns a very popular ukulele store. He always hates it when I say I’ll buy a new one when i learn to play the ones I have. I think people often think a different instrument will make them much better players overnight. To paraphrase Lance Armstrong - its not the bike. Of course his success was also somewhat chemically enhanced lol

Quote Originally Posted by Smyrna5 View Post
    ... when I say I’ll buy a new one when i learn to play the ones I have. I think people often think a different instrument will make them much better players overnight. To paraphrase Lance Armstrong - its not the bike.
    True, but a instrument can help or hinder you (and I need all the help I can get! LOL!!) And also, a good instrument can inspire you to practice more.

10. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Carl23 

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

It took me a few years to buy my second mandolin the only reason I think was that I was in many bands playing guitar and didn't have much time for the mandolin the second one was a cheap acoustic with pickup, but right after that I bought a octave solidbody 5 string. Back then I had more guitars than mandolins now it is reversed
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

MAS why wait? maybe depends on how many days you may have in front of you....me more behind