Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolins for about $600

Default Re: Mandolins for about $600

I’m selling a <removed by Moderator--please review Forum Guidelines>
    This could be a great instrument for you. It plays great and has a full sound with good projection.
    Last edited by Ted Eschliman; Dec-23-2018 at 7:05am.

This from the classifieds.......

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/133270#133270

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I'll gladly second (nth?) all the positive comments about both the Mandolin Store and the KM-272.

Haven't played a Morris yet, but wow, they look tempting.

Hi Liza.

The Mandolin Store and Folkmusician are both here on the forum. Both places are great and can sell you a new mandolin with a great setup. Good luck, and let us know what you wind up with and why for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by RobBob View Post
    I've played at least 3 Morris mandolins and they are the best bang for the buck. Lose the tacky glitter on the headstock and they are nice looking too.
    I agree those Morris mandolins are excellent for the price. I also agree that they are one of the uglier headstocks I've seen. Sonny needs to come up with a better headstock logo.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I agree those Morris mandolins are excellent for the price. I also agree that they are one of the uglier headstocks I've seen. Sonny needs to come up with a better headstock logo.
    Some of them have a basic “Morris” script and none of the design you refer to. I think the simple script looks a lot better. I’d love to play one of his mandolins one day. I thought seriously of buying one for the simple fact that Morris is my last name too.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    I thought seriously of buying one for the simple fact that Morris is my last name too.
    Same reason I want a "Wilson'.

http://wilsonmandolins.com

As for the topic. I'm looking in the same price range... I'm interested in finding something to bring to jams and festivals that sounds better than my 'the' Loar but wont kill me if something awful were to happen. I may wait on it and stretch my budget to a grand.

Thanks everybody! I ended up with a "The Loar" LM 520 E that I was able to play before buying. It has a great setup, plays like butter and sounds AMAZING . I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on an instrument I couldn't try out myself. Thank you for all your recommendations. This forum has been invaluable in my mandolin journey.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LizaJ For This Useful Post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LizaJ View Post
    Thanks everybody! I ended up with a "The Loar" LM 520 E that I was able to play before buying. It has a great setup, plays like butter and sounds AMAZING . I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on an instrument I couldn't try out myself. Thank you for all your recommendations. This forum has been invaluable in my mandolin journey.
    I've played a couple of those and have found, that with the right setup, I like them and feel they stack up well against Kentuckys and Eastmans in the same price range. I saw a LM400 online that I almost pulled the trigger on.

Congrats!