Thread: TKD Mandolins

Default TKD Mandolins

Run across one of these in the classifieds. Any opinions? Words too short for a search.

Registered Plec Offender Mickey King's Avatar

Default Re: TKD Mandolins

I don’t know anything about them but here’s another thread
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-TKL-Mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassdan View Post
    Run across one of these in the classifieds. Any opinions? Words too short for a search.
    TKD is the house brand of the Mando Shop in FL. Mando Shop owner has been banned from the Cafe for some shady postings.
    The mandolins are pretty sweet though. They are hand built in China and are setup at the Mando Shop. I think that model sells for $1195 new, so not a huge savings at $1000. A decent starting price for a used mandolin in good condition is about 2/3 of new. I'd check in withe the seller and see if they'd do closer to $850-$900.

You can buy essentially the same mandolin direct from the factory in China for about $875, without case, and without setup. The factory is Pango Instruments and their acoustic brand is called Afanti.
    This looks like a similar model:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pango-Music...1/173352798533
    It will also take a few weeks to get to you. If you can get the seller from the Cafe Classifieds with the TKD to move on price, I'd probably go that route since it is already setup, has a case and would arrive quickly.

I recently took a flyer and ordered an Afanti A5 direct from the factory for $585. It is essentially the same as the TKD Falcon A5 that Mando Shop sells for $995. I actually really like it. So much so, that I ordered an F5 from them as well.
    Here's my review of the direct from the factory Afanti A5.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...MD-717)-review

Anyhow, hope that helps.

4. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

A friend of mine has a TKD that is a great instrument. I’ve only played the one, so I don’t know how consistent they are.

I have had a TKD Falcon I purchased used about 18 months ago for $800. I have been very happy with it and it is still all I really need....but I have others! I agree with the above comment that you may attempt to get the seller to come down a little.

Or you could buy this TKD Red Fox new for $595.
    No idea how it compares. Though it looks like it might have a poly finish
    https://themandoshop.com/tkd-f5-red-...ndolin-170144/
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin-tkd-f5-red-fox-170144-3.png 
Views:	311 
Size:	270.4 KB 
ID:	173583

Blog Entries

I have dealt with the Mando shop and found the owner to be a very professional and honorable guy. He sold me a J Bovier several years ago and set it up to perfection, which is what he does with these TKD mandolins I am certain.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

A friend of mine had a pleasant experience purchasing a new TKD A-style oval hole from The Mando Shop in their physical location. FWIW I've played that particular instrument and found it well made and nicely set up.

10. The following members say thank you to John Lloyd for this post:

I purchased a TKD Eagle from Kyle two years ago. I have to say that it sounds, looks and plays very nice; and Kyle was very helpful in answering my questions. Basically, I can say it was worth the money ( 1.2K). I chose the TKD over the Kentucky because I live abroad and I wanted an instrument that had been gone over thoroughly and seeing as the Mando shop is a one man operation, I thought it was the best bet since I thought I had established trust with Kyle.

Kyle asked me to write a review for his sight so after a few months of living with my new TKD, I submitted an honest, mostly praising review. I listed the pros and the few cons, such as the cheap tuners and a minor flaw on the scroll, stain gunk in the f-hole and a buzzing G ( which I had fixed easily fixed by my luthier), I also made a special point to go into the 3rd party Chinese factory issue and my opinion on resale value. Basically I said, "sounds great just don't expect a Collins for a grand" because most of the reviews I had read on his sight were over the top - many saying the TKD was better than the purchasers 4K mandolin. When I checked back on my review a year later I discovered that all of my mildly negative comments and the part about the instruments origin had been edited out. I wrote Kyle about this and he said that my criticisms were not relevant so he had edited them out, so I asked him to remove my review which he did immediately. The guy is definitely sketchy, but I do like my mandolin, and I hope more people on The Hangout will write honest TKD.

I have a TKD F5 Eagle that I'm really happy with. Over the years, I purchased 3 mandos (Bovier, Weber and TKD) from Kyle at the mando shop. Kyle has been really easy to work with and has done a great job at setting up and "adjusting" my mandos. Recently, I shipped my TKD to him to tune-up up a bit and he did just that - at no charge! Needless to say, I like his shop. Jim from Wisconsin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimbowi View Post
    I have a TKD F5 Eagle that I'm really happy with. Over the years, I purchased 3 mandos (Bovier, Weber and TKD) from Kyle at the mando shop. Kyle has been really easy to work with and has done a great job at setting up and "adjusting" my mandos. Recently, I shipped my TKD to him to tune-up up a bit and he did just that - at no charge! Needless to say, I like his shop. Jim from Wisconsin
    Curious what accounts for your posts from a Florida IP address since you so willingly list your location as Wisconsin?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Like a bad penny...

I say based on my cafe experiences/reading, not personal experience with him. Mods, please delete if needed, but this stuff keeps resurfacing...
    Chuck

One tends to take things here at face value. That works unless some have two faces. Nice to have a reminder now and again though.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

From the Forum posting guidelines:

- Refrain from using the forum as a point of purchasing or selling items or for the purpose of discussing or linking to items you are selling. Please limit selling and buying activities to the Classifieds section of this web site or other external locations.

<violates forum posting guidelines>
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Mar-08-2019 at 4:47pm. Reason: this discussion has concluded