Thread: What do you think?

I just got this, and i know nothing about it. The sticker says Tres Pinos, its probably mexican. anything you can tell me? (it has strings now) It also came with an #ernie ball strap and a hardshell case ($30 garage sale)
    Strings are Strings, No matter how many

sorry, i didn't post the pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0188.JPG 
Views:	536 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	9849  
    Strings are Strings, No matter how many

Registered Person

Welcome Aron, nice mando. I learned guitar on a Sears guitar that had to have a curtain hook slid under the extension on the neck to make it playable, I'm sure this is light years better than that! Plus it was only 30 bucks, nice find.

Blog Entries

Nice. Looks a bit like a Lonestar. Have fun and welcome to the Mando Cafe community!

Jamie.
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Congrats on your purchase. hope you find as much joy in playing the mandolin as the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by (banjomanva @ July 28 2005, 19:31)
    #hope you find as much joy in playing the mandolin as the rest of us.
    ha, if he found half as much joy in playing the mandolin as the rest of us, he'll be borderline insane!!! oh... maybe thats just me

Default Re: What do you think?

Hello, I'm new here and I recently bought what appears to be the same or similar Tres Pinos mandolin for $50 off of craigslist, I've been really satisfied with it but I'm wondering if anybody knows anything about the brand or how much they are actually worth?
    Mine has the Made in Mexico seal on the back of the neck and the year on it is 1992.
    Here's some pics of mine:

Tres Pinos is a company in Mexico City. I have a Tres Pinos (Selva Negra) Requinto guitar that is lovely. They make great guitars, not sure about their mandos.

I bought one of these mandos from a friend of mine. At first glance it looks like a fine instrument, and maybe it is. But the setup is different from my other mandos. First of all, the tail piece is made in such a way that separates the D and A strings about twice as much than the same strings on other mandos. Maybe this the Mexican setup.. I really don't know..... 2nd., what is the purpose of the 1/2 fret at the top of the neck?....3rd, the bridge/string gap is also wider between each string, making it more difficult to play, (unless one has really fat fingers).....and 4th, the action is really high, and the only way to lower it, is to shave off the bottom of the bridge, (which is not that difficult). I've researched these mandos, but to no avail. If anyone can help with some info., that would be great. Thanks, Willy HuTcH