Thread: Thankful for this forum

Default Thankful for this forum

I made my first post a few months ago lamenting my costly error of buying a Collings MT and the how the v neck was causing hand pain and was not working for me. I got all kinds of great feedback ...one person mentioned that this was not a little guitar and perhaps I had bad hand position. There are very few mandolins and little to no mandolin culture down here, so it was not going to be simple to find another and sell the Collings, someone suggested on line classes for proper hand position...low and behold, hand pain reduced significantly and everything started making sense. So who ever suggested that, THANK YOU! It’s such a sweet sounding instrument, we have bonded. Now I am needing lessons to learn how to play licks, I can play them but I’m slow as hell! I don’t know how anyone moves so fast. Right now I’m a happy rhythm player. Anyway I’m thrilled that I sold my Goodall guitar to buy this mandolin. I don’t miss that guitar one bit.

Anyway I bet you guys have no idea what a source of inspiration and encouragement this forum is. Wishing all a music filled peaceful holiday season.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Eclectic1 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Thankful for this forum

First of all, people play fast because they once played slow. Get a metronome and use it. Yes it's is a long slog. Speed is developed two beats per minute at a time. Don't increase speed untill you can play cleanly multiple times through. It is far better to play perfect slowly. Playing quicker with mistakes, you are just practicing playing poorly.

Glad you are enjoying the MT.

Enjoy the slog. Play scales every day. In a year you will realize the benefit. Don't forget the picking while practicing the fretting.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Yes it's a great forum, has been very helpful to me too over the years.

There are many sources of online lessons, some subscription, and there are some teachers who will do 1 on 1 lessons over skype video. I started with a 1-1 teacher (Pete Martin) and he was really helpful and not that expensive. Given the benefits I would have gladly paid more to support him. His bluegrass arrangements for tunes are great too, buy his books downloadable as PDF's on his site.

Things like a bad hand position and bad picking technique can be caught immediately by a teacher who can see you play live.

Once you get past the basics (I highly recommend a live teacher for that), online subscription based lessons are more beneficial, because it's pretty important to build on a solid base of good playing technique.

There are many many sources of bluegrass video teaching material out there, I will suggest two: BanjoBenClark, and Mike Marshal at artistWorks.

There is a lot to be said for hi-res video closeups of top players demonstrating playing methods, and having seen several who use different techniques, it helped me a great deal in deciding which method I was going to follow.

I also find that the instrument is pretty important, I am still working through many playability issues that have held me back or made an instrument more difficult to play. I am thinking a summary post describing all those things might help somebody at some point, although I have been pretty vocal about each one as I have run into them.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Sharon Gilchrist at Peghead Nation has 2 great online courses.
    Rich
    2015 Passernig A5 #76
    2016 Pava Pro A5 #197

7. The following members say thank you to Rich Benson for this post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Practically everything I know about mandolins and playing them, I learned from this site. We are lucky to have it, and I'm proud to be a part of it. Thanks, Scott, et al.
    Living’ in the Mitten

9. The following members say thank you to Steve Ostrander for this post:

Whenever I get kind of stuck, in a slump, I come back here for the cure. It works!

11. The following members say thank you to Cindy for this post:

I have a feeling that my right hand picking is really lousy ! It needs to get much better. Most of the times I’m strumming and singing harmonies and then I get the nod to play a lead and all comes apart, I can maybe get 4 or 5 notes out, and I know from watching other players that I’m doing it wrong so yessss. Lessons are in order. I did a Sharon Gilchrist class on line and it was really cool. She has a great vibe. All I know is that I am so happy I stuck it out with this mandolin, it would have been a mistake to have sold it.

Check out Mike Marshall's finger busters book...'twill help your right hand...

And, just get lost in Thile videos on YouTube. Like him or not, his right hand is as good as it gets. And, yes, it takes a long time to get there (I'm still solidly on my journey)...
    Chuck

This weekend I found the Thile and Mike Marshal gig they did together. Pretty amazing. I have always really liked Thile from way before I ever really considered playing mandolin. He is ...really emotive ! Fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Check out Mike Marshall's finger busters book...'twill help your right hand...

And, just get lost in Thile videos on YouTube. Like him or not, his right hand is as good as it gets. And, yes, it takes a long time to get there (I'm still solidly on my journey)...

===========

As along as I stay away from the Classifieds - Mandolin Cafe is a cool and safe place to hang out!

Has anyone used Rosa’s CD lessons?

There are a lot of forums out there pertaining to a wide variety of interests ! But----------a lot of these forums, maybe even most of them are very inactive. By inactive, I mean that there are very few new threads and posts. The same threads are there day after day after day. Week after week and so on ! An example would be the tin whistle/penny whistle forum called the Chiff and Fipple Forum. All of the threads stay in the same order and if you post , your post does not automatically go to the top. If you reply to a thread that is way down the list of threads, your reply and thread stay down the list ! On the mandolincafe all new posts go automatically to the top. Anyway, this is a very active forum with a lot of new threads and many posts ! Very active ! Let's keep it this way !
    Last edited by yankees1; Dec-18-2018 at 6:53am.

Its a very good forum.
    I may not post all that much these days but I'm always reading, learning and when I feel the need, offering my 2 cents.
    Lotsa, lotsa knowledgeable people out here.
    Doc Ivory
    -Play loud, live long..

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Empty bank account, full tone bucket. Thanks MC!

Yep, this is the best site on the internet.