Thread: Tenor guitar newbie

Default Tenor guitar newbie

I'm sure all my questions have been discussed before, but I'm going to ask myself, and hope that y'all will indulge me. I've been playing Ukulele for about a year now, and I really do enjoy the instrument. I use a tenor size uke because my fingers are kind of chubby and it's had for me to make some chords work on the smaller instruments.

I thought about my childhood, and my father used to play guitar - but it was a 4 string tenor guitar, not a standard 6 string. I wish I still had that instrument. But my sister sold it after my mother died. So I decided that as a way to feel closer to my father, I'd look into getting one myself. I have a couple of 6 strings, but I have always struggled with chords that stretch my fingers too far - which is why I moved to the Uke. The thing is, it's kind of a three bears thing for me - 'this instrument is too big; this instrument is too small; ah, this instrument is (or should be) just right. So I asked Santa (wife) to bring me a Blue Ridge acoustic/electric tenor guitar for Christmas (I don't tend to do things half way - I figured that if I got a cheap Ibanez, I'd only want another better one in short order).

So here's where the questions come in. I've seen references to the standard tuning vs the "chicago" tuning (like the top 4 strings of a 6 string) or even tuning it like a Ukulele, with the thoughts being to make learning easier by using chords you already know from the other instrument. My first major question is this - which tuning actually gives the best sound from the instrument. I know the chords are different with the standard tuning, but it the instrument just plain sounds best tuned that way, I would rather take the time to learn the chords than to be lazy, tune it like a Uke and degrade the sound. So, that's the major question - not what people favor in tuning because it's easier for them to play, but rather which tuning produces the ideal sound from the instrument.

As I type, I realize that the other questions I've got really extend from the first one, so for now, I'd like to focus on that one.

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: Tenor guitar newbie

Hi and welcome.
    I think you should find out for yourself, the guitar will quite likely come tuned in 5ths but you can easily swap the strings for a medium six sting set, then you can see which you like the best.
    Some people would say that if you want to play Irish tunes, GDAE would be good, some might say if you sing and strum, DGBE would be good.... It is a personal choice.

I have the non electric version BR-40T. Sounds great tuned DGBE. Capo 5th fret for GCEA tuning.
    Here's a good starting point for strings. Tenor guitar is shorter scale than standard guitar so the highest 4 strings of a standard set probably won't be the right tension. I just buy bulk strings of the gauges I want at just strings .com and make my own sets.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DGBETenor String Chart.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	173397

I have Ernie Ball Tonewood strings in light for my regular 6 string guitar. The weights for the four I'd be using are .028, .020, .014 and .010. Would they be adequate, or should I order special?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DauggyDaddy View Post
    . Blue Ridge acoustic/electric tenor guitar for Christmas ....
    but rather which tuning produces the ideal sound from the instrument.
    For the BlueRidge tenor guitar? Probably CGDA or GDAE.
    I think it is tuned as CGDA from the maker. And other tensions allow for other tunings.

Anyone out there have this instrument? CB56 How was yours tuned when it was new?
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

I have Ernie Ball Tonewood strings in light for my regular 6 string guitar. The weights for the four I'd be using are .028, .020, .014 and .010. Would they be adequate, or should I order special?
    It's really up to you. How do they feel? How do they sound? IMO those would be on the light side but the chart I posted (from Mike Soares) is just a suggestion. I've been told that about 20lbs tension per string is preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    For the BlueRidge tenor guitar? Probably CGDA or GDAE.
    I think it is tuned as CGDA from the maker. And other tensions allow for other tunings.

Anyone out there have this instrument? CB56 How was yours tuned when it was new?
    I ordered mine from MF and was surprised that it was tuned DGBE when I got it. I assumed that CGDA is how it would arrive.

I posted the chart below by mistake it is for plectrum banjo. Could the mods remove it please?
    vvvvvvv
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DGBE string tension.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	173405  
    Last edited by cb56; Dec-14-2018 at 5:00pm.

12s or medium guitar set is what you want, the Blueridge is a strong guitar, slightly over braced but it still works well with standard tension string sets (80-90lb)
    One forum member converted his BR40 to an 8 string with over 150lb of tension and it was still surviving the last I heard!
    I have mine set up with GDAE strings 12 18w 30w 45w.

Disregard the string tension chart on my last post. That's for my Plectrum banjo that I also tune DGBE. Somehow I can't figure out how to delete it from my post.

9. The following members say thank you to cb56 for this post:

fox 

Quote Originally Posted by cb56 View Post
    Disregard the string tension chart on my last post. That's for my Plectrum banjo that I also tune DGBE. Somehow I can't figure out how to delete it from my post.
    Ha Ha, I am always getting caught out with similar things!
    Theses strings would make a great starting point for a Blueridge....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	638FC64D-D508-4D89-BA85-ED39EC405267.jpeg 
Views:	208 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	173406

I have one of the early BlueRidge BR40-T. It does have a truss rod, some did not.

Previously, I had an early 1930s Martin 0-18T that was a super excellent tenor. I did sell it when I started fearing maintenance costs. Later I bought the BlueRidge 40-T. It is more or less modeled on the Martin, and I am quite satisfied with it. It sounds and plays great, very close to the Martin, which I thought was a professional level instrument.

On the BlueRidge, I did sand the edges of the fretboard to round it off a bit, and removed the heavy finish on the neck. I still have it, though tend to play Bouzouki more nowadays.

It is a quality instrument that you will not have to upgrade to sound good.

On the con side, I did get a center split on the top. That's an easy fix, and is not as bad as it sounds. I was going to either get it fix by someone experienced, or try to reglue it and maybe a cleat it myself (was worried about the looks). But surprisingly, it still sounds very good and pays just as well. So I've left it.

Before the BlueRidge, I had a wonderful Gibson B25 Tenor. It didn't ring quite as nicely as the Martin, it was very mellow and not particularly loud. It was a pretty, nice feeling guitar, and the neck was the best tenor neck I have ever played. But like I said, it was just a little too mellow and quiet. The 40-T sounds better, and the neck ain't bad.

Anyway, the BlueRidge is a fine instrument, with a very nice tenor ring to the sound. I bet it will sound great after playing it awhile.

Oh, mine came CGDA, but I tended to play it GDAE and CGCG (see the link below for a video where I decided that would be easy to play). I also bought it at a shop that gave it a quick setup, including lowering the action just a bit at the saddle.

If you like noddling around, creating your own tunes quickly, etc., here's a great tuning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjpRTkHIBLA

12. The following members say thank you to WoodyCTA102 for this post:

I started another thread before seeing your post...... here's what worked for Me

Fantastic Voice right out of the box. I'm more of a strummer, and long chord spans and new scales are just not in my Brain.

I tried "Guitar Tuning" (Chicago?) for a while---pretty nice, but the Magic-Ness of the voice was missing.

I've tuned it to Standard Uke and it's a beautiful voice with easier to play Chordings.

I used a D'Adario standard Tenor set of strings---threw out the 32 string......replaced with a 25

G 25
    C 22
    e 14
    a 10

It's gorgeous!!!