Thread: SNARK ST-2 Super Tight Clip On Tuner

Blog Entries

Thumbs up SNARK ST-2 Super Tight Clip On Tuner

I was ordering strings and remembered to add a clip on tuner. I like to keep one in each case, if possible. I discovered something I am sure most here already knew! The latest SNARK tuner is called "Super Tight".

I assumed it meant gripping the headstock tighter, but read the fine print and it explained that the tuning is quicker to respond and tighter in pitch control. Just that much more accurate and any time you can tighten up the tuning you get a sweeter tone.

Well, in case you didn't know, I thought I would pass this along. The ST-2 signifies the Super Tight version and it is generally in red, I believe. That will help me distinguish it from my other two Snarks. Happy Playing! My apologies-- there was a post about tuners a few weeks ago that I could have added to-- well this is focused more on just the SNARK ST-2...
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Default Re: SNARK ST-2 Super Tight Clip On Tuner

The prices on the Snark are affordable, but nowhere can I find information on accuracy. The Peterson and the Polytune will give you that, at a little more money, but much more accuracy. The polytune is accurate to .05 cents on the regular tuner, and .002 on the strobe. I doubt the improved Snark can even come close to that, .1 would be my guess. And yes the closer in tune the better. A mandolin is hard enough so the more accurate the tuner the better the sound. Getting the Unitune is $20 cheaper than the Polytune for the same tuner, it just doesn't show the 6 guitar strings at once, and since we play mandolin that is not necessary.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

The Snark "super tight" is ok, and I have used it on mandolin and fiddle. But I also use a Polytune 2 on my pedalboard, and in a small, hand held tuner the Korg GA Custom is inexpensive and VERY accurate and easy to read.

5. The following members say thank you to illinoisfiddler for this post:

A couple of years back,i contacted the makers of the Snark tuners & told them of the doubts that 'some' folks had over the accuracy of their tuners, simply because no accuracy was stated. Snark told me that the manufacturers of other brands of tuners have various ways of measuring the 'accuracy',& they'd simply decided NOT to state the accuracy of their tuners. Having no way of actually knowing what those ways of measuring are,i accepted their answer. As for measuring the accuracy - i have 3 tuning forks & my 3 Snarks - 2 Red & one Black 'Supertight', show 100% accuracy when measured using the tuning forks.

We have to accept the fact that IF the Snarks weren't accurate,they wouldn't be selling,& as for stating the accuracy - what guarantee is that ?. A tuner can be deffective with or without any accuracy being stated. My side-lined Polytune tuner was only as accurate as my Snark tuners when measured with my tuning forks. I quit using it because i don't like the way the display functions or how it fits to the headstock,only one position where i can see it.

Have a look at this Blue Highway clip around 1.07 into it & see what Shawn Lane has clipped to his headstock,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

7. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Snarks are cool, I’ve been using them for years and have several. But I recently decided to try the Unitune and frankly, it is superior. Not ditching my Snarks or anything, but the Uni is now my go-to clipon.
    Blow on, man.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spufman For This Useful Post:

I’ve got 2 Snarks, a £3 eBay special and a pedal for the electric which all agree so unless they all have the same error I’m happy with the accuracy

11. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

I have been using Snark tuners for years and have found no particular accuracy problems. I purchased a Peterson Strobe tuner about five years ago and rarely use it. In my opinion the Peterson and Snark give, more or less, the same results. The Peterson, however, is in my opinion, much too "fidgety" so I rarely bother with it. It's become an expensive dust collector that sits on my desk.
    awm

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AW Meyer For This Useful Post:

I have a red “super tight” and love it. Best tuner I’ve ever owned.

15. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Blog Entries

Hey guys-- I am grateful for the discussion of tuner accuracy. I must admit that I approach this subject differently than some, but I realize that playing on stage these issues become even more important. I haven't been playing with others the last few months so I am only concerned with being in tune with myself, or a back track. I fine tune my instruments along with the tuner, so clip ons don't get me all the way there, just close enough to keep everything relative. I, like others, used a tuning fork to get my A guitar string in tune in the 70-80's and then everyone in our band tuned to that relative pitch. It took me getting into the studio in the 90's to get used to the great importance of electronic tuners and I eventually joined the club. I am so glad to hear the info on the various options that are faster and more accurate. Great discussion!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Snark has finally come out with MUCH BETTER tuner that doesn't have the same fragile "ball-in-socket" swivel that keeps breaking for so many players here on the MC. And it's about time, I say! It's called the "HZ-1" model, and it actually displays the exact frequency in Hertz (beats per sec), as well as the note name. The frequency is given to four significant figures, so it's plenty "tight" for even the pickiest among you. The swivel for the display looks to have been significantly beefed up compared to the older Snarks. And the clamp that looks to be much more rugged. In fact, it looks to be a much better product, all round, than the red, blue, or black Snarks of the past.

Here's a picture:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SnarkHz-1.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	173407

You can watch a review on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSacGv5tyzk

(NFI)

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

My Snark SN-8 'Supertight' has the new display/clamp joint - far more solid & more reassuring for those having any 'doubts' re. it's strength,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snark SN8 Supertight Tuner.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	173419
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Hey guys-- I am grateful for the discussion of tuner accuracy. I must admit that I approach this subject differently than some, but I realize that playing on stage these issues become even more important. I haven't been playing with others the last few months so I am only concerned with being in tune with myself, or a back track. I fine tune my instruments along with the tuner, so clip ons don't get me all the way there, just close enough to keep everything relative. I, like others, used a tuning fork to get my A guitar string in tune in the 70-80's and then everyone in our band tuned to that relative pitch. It took me getting into the studio in the 90's to get used to the great importance of electronic tuners and I eventually joined the club. I am so glad to hear the info on the various options that are faster and more accurate. Great discussion!
    Bought one via Amazon Prime. One can never have enough tuners...or can one?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Bought one via Amazon Prime. One can never have enough tuners...or can one?
    I think that more than one per instrument is somewhat excessive. On the other hand if you break that rule it does give you an excuse to buy something to clip the extra tuner to. Just to keep the universe in balance you understand.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OneChordTrick For This Useful Post:

You have to hook your new Snark up to a tonerite and let it run a few months in order to get the more vintage type tuning.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

25. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OneChordTrick View Post
    I think that more than one per instrument is somewhat excessive.
    Sweet. I'm gonna need 4-5 more mandolins on just that guideline alone

27. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

One of the things I'm having to do more and more is carry a Snark with me to certain jams. Seems some musicians can't figure out how to read a strobe tuner or even the D'Addario Eclipse.

At this point, the Eastman OM gigbag now has a Snark ST-8 residing in the case on a semi-permanent basis.

Oh, and for folks who wonder how many tuners is too many - right now am pretty sure it's a 2 tuners to each instrument ratio around here. Although at least 3 of them either aren't working or one's I dislike enough to never use again. (Son of Snark being the a prime example.)
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

29. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

I try to have a tuner in each case, with a spare battery. I also keep one where I sit and play so I don't have to get the tuner out of the case. It's always there and ready for whatever instrument I may pickup.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

31. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

With the $24.95 sale at Sweetwater on the UniTune I just had to get one of those.

The new Snark look like it might be good too.

Seems like I usually end up getting "one of each" at some point.

Iwill say that the Korg...AW 1(?) no longer made;was one of the most accurate electronic tuners Ihave ever used. Though it
    did have some other shortcomings(as they all tend to have).

If I just had bigger ears...

33. The following members say thank you to V70416 for this post:

To swing this back to the accuracy of various tuners; I doubt very many of us can hear a difference of 0.1 cents which was stated as the poorer accuracy of the Snark. I don't know where that number came from but if it is accurate (pun intended) it shows people chasing a phantom of greater accuracy. There are inherent variables in playing the mandolin including frets and compensation, fingering pressure and pick attack all of which are likely to cause variations of over 0.1 cents.

When I look at at tuner I look for ease of use, battery life and price.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nevin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    To swing this back to the accuracy of various tuners; I doubt very many of us can hear a difference of 0.1 cents which was stated as the poorer accuracy of the Snark. I don't know where that number came from but if it is accurate (pun intended) it shows people chasing a phantom of greater accuracy. There are inherent variables in playing the mandolin including frets and compensation, fingering pressure and pick attack all of which are likely to cause variations of over 0.1 cents.
    There are several levels of "accuracy" beyond what's stated in each tuner's specs. I think all of them have roughly the same clock accuracy from the frequency timing circuit. However, that circuit sits in the middle of two very important elements:

pickup accuracy --> frequency detect --> display method

The big differences between tuners are in those two other elements, especially the last one (display method). On the pickup front end, some tuners are better at detecting low notes than others, or ignoring extraneous noise from the pick or fingers. But the most important element is the display method. Every tuner manufacturer has to decide how to tell the user when the instrument is in tune, and that "window" can be wide or narrow.

If the display method is a "narrow" design, then it may let the user drill down to a very fine degree of tuning accuracy, but it will take a while. The Peterson clip-on strobe tuners are a good example of this, because they show upper harmonics as well as the fundamental. They're a bit fussy, although still usable with practice.

If the display window is too wide (i.e. there are only a few LEDs to light up, and one that indicates "in tune"), then it may seem to the user that the tuner "locks in" quickly and is very accurate, when it's actually the reverse. Watch out for tuners that seem to get you in tune very quickly. That's probably a too-wide window, regardless of the internal accuracy.

When I look at at tuner I look for ease of use, battery life and price.
    Why price? I know we all have different financial resources, but I've never understood the attraction of inexpensive tuners, unless you're constantly breaking and replacing them. The most expensive clip-on tuner you can buy is $60. That's not very much compared to the price of a mandolin. It's maybe a year's worth of strings, or two Blue Chip picks. It's less than the gas I burn to attend Irish sessions.

Anyway, because these tuner threads always end up as basically "what I use" surveys... I use the newer Peterson clip-on, with the TC Polytune as a backup. I've gotten used to the Peterson display over the years, and the new one is much smaller and less conspicuous than the original. The Polytune has a nice display, but I don't like the fixed mount that limits the angle I can read it. I've tried the Snark... once. My fiddler S.O. bought one but didn't like it (I didn't either). She uses a table-top Sonic Research Turbo-Tuner at home, and one of those tiny Planet Waves NS tuners on her fiddle for sessions.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

From Nevin - "... difference of 0.1 cents which was stated as the poorer accuracy of the Snark. I don't know where that number came from" As the producers of the Snark tuners don't give any 'accuracy' data,neither do i.

The bottom line is :- If you don't like the Snark tuners,don't buy one - or,if you have done & don't like it for some reason,sell it & buy another one - which ''you may or may not'' like either. I decided to buy a Polytune tuner for my Ellis & i really do not like it one bit. I can only attach it to the headstock of my mandolin in one position where i can see it (the display doesn't swivel),& the bargraph zips up & down like a rabbit on rollerskates !!. Why couldn't it ease slowly upwards as i'm tuning, until it locks on the the correct note,as my Snarks do ?.

I use my Snarks 100% of the time & i've never been out of tune with other musicians whom i play with,regardless of 'what brand' of tuners they might use,& isn't that the main point ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

I like Foldepath's view that the display is part of the accuracy. I guess that is part of the ease of use I mentioned. As for the cost thing $60 Vs $25 can get be big if the more than one tuner per instrument people get going ;-]

I really do not prefer strobe tuners. Fussy? Oh yeah.

I got a Peterson 490 Autostrobe years ago. It is now a paperweight. The Peterson clip-on is of no use to me either.
    Thought I might get used to them but never have.

Hoping this TC Unitune works well for me. Just another tuner til the next "best" thing comes along.

I have a couple of Snarks and a Boss TU-2 on my pedal board and they both read the same.

I have a couple Fender portable tuners that were just junk - so far out of tune it wasn't even funny. I'm glad I got them on a clear-out because they are completely unusable.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

43. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post: